Dad has all the allergies - safe to BLW?

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Dad has all the allergies - safe to BLW?

Postby GRB » 14 Oct 2014, 15:00

So my partner is allergic to what seems to me to be nearly everything: melon, avocado, apples, most berries, ripe bananas, peanuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, egg, and probably other things I can't think of. He's also got the usual eczema/athsma thing going on, along with pet allergies.
His 4 year old daughter doesn't seem to have inherited anything but mild eczema and intolerance to undercooked egg, but I know that's no guarantee that our wee girl will be the same. I am hoping that she will inherit my constitution, as I'm not allergic to anything.

Obviously when I cook for my partner I don't include anything he's allergic to, but I regularly eat most of these things. I really want to BLW but should I avoid giving her potential allergens altogether or introduce them gradually? Give up on the idea and go with purees because it'd be easier to figure out the source of any reaction? Or just dive in and rush her to A&E as required?

Any advice / experience much appreciated!
GRB

Re: Dad has all the allergies - safe to BLW?

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 14 Oct 2014, 15:06

No direct experience, but I know my friends husband us equally allergic and she still blw'd. She was just a bit tentative with nuts & dairy, I.e. waited til after 12 months. Her daughter is fibe. I'm sure others will be along with more scientific advice tho
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby RedRum » 14 Oct 2014, 15:27

I don't see that it would make a difference would it? You can still isolate new foods in the same way as you would with puréed and introduce one food at a time to monitor any reaction. I don't think it would really make a difference of the food is mushed up and fed to her or if she's feeding herself?
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 14 Oct 2014, 16:59

Wow. Someone else with a DP who is allergic to melon? We should start a gang ;-)

Mine is also allergic (not officially diagnosed) to cartilaginous fish (that's shark/skate etc) which doesn't affect me because I'm vegetarian, and doesn't affect the kids because school/nursery seem to think Tuna is the only fish in existence...

As for melon, we decided to be cautious with it and he only had it once he was about 18m. But he's been fine, and so has his little brother.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Return to Allergies