Dairy Free Diet (not allergic - health choice)

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Re: Dairy Free Diet (not allergic - health choice)

Postby oriel » 11 Jun 2013, 16:54

Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Postby VanillaPickle » 06 Sep 2013, 11:20

UPDATE

Well here is what I have discovered....

I tried completely dairy free and wheat free for just over a month. Definitely felt much better, more energy etc.

Tried very much reduced dairy and wheat free - same benefits and less restrictive (as I am not allergic and this is a choice).

Almond milk (unsweetened) in tea is really quite nice.

Sainsbury's dairy and wheat free Granola is yum.

Spelt bread in the bread maker is yum when successful but for some reason often doesn't rise (?).

I love cheese and there is no alternative!

So I am following a much reduced dairy and wheat diet :D
♥ Handmade & crochet items & gifts - CraftsByFenella ♥
★ currently available via https://www.facebook.com/CraftsByFenella
VanillaPickle

Postby squirt » 07 Sep 2013, 10:05

this is pretty much what I'm doing. vegan except for eggs.

It's going to take some time to get it right, but I think it will be worth it. I make nearly all my food myself. Got a bread machine, make my meals at night. I will be making my own haselnut spread soon, to have on bread. Then that is pretty much it. I never really like cheese, am not missing it. Actually, trying to finish off what I have in the freezer and finding that really hard!

Try silky tofu to make creamy sauces. tofu also makes nice scrambled egg replacement. I use soy milk most of the time, unless I have to drink it, makes me fart the meanest farts!

It's a different taste, but just different, not bad. give yourself some time to get used to it and soon cowsmilk will taste like water.
squirt

Postby Popsie » 07 Sep 2013, 11:03

Yep im trying to do simialar. Off dairy cos of bf but she is able to tolerate me having milk choc/ cake etc. but processed/ cooked. Have been veggie since forever but always eaten egg and am venturing into fish a bit. Had to cut out wheat to try it (for B's sake) and find it makes me feel loads better. Less lethargic and bloated! So now im trying to have at least 2 wheat free meals a day. Its too hard to make every dinner wheat free in this house!

How do you find and cope with other people's disappointment in you not wanting to/ being able to share their food? Im thinking of staying dairy free (well, for the obvious sources like cheese milk etc) but unsure how to deal with other people. Even though I have always been veggie it was not a choice of my own so easier for me to say and others to accept.
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Postby squirt » 07 Sep 2013, 11:21

spelt doesn't have much gluten in it, that's why it won't rise much.

I miss spelt flour bread. I can't get it where I live.
squirt

Postby oriel » 07 Sep 2013, 11:54

At the last church do one of the other congregation members (a lovely woman) made gluten- and dairy-free scones. I didn't have the heart to tell her they had the taste and texture of plaster of Paris.
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Postby A_W » 07 Sep 2013, 12:00

Frys Chocolate Cream are vegan just in case you didn't realise. I buy them for A as they are low in protein.
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 07 Sep 2013, 14:15

It's a matter of taste but I found Alpro Soya products too vanillay!!! If you do too, try tescos or sainsbury's own brands - much better! The only problems is soya milk doesn't mix into coffee very well. I have read on the side of a sainsburys box that you should leave it to cool for a few minutes before adding. Not sure if this works as I'm a tea drinker!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby marrythomas » 08 Oct 2013, 09:13

Dairy free diet is really very helpful to cut the toxins from your body. There are various chemicals that a farmer used in dairy cows. If you drink this milk, this will definitely harm your body. If your diet is dairy free you don’t have worry about any type of health risks.
marrythomas

Postby Gizmo » 08 Oct 2013, 13:34

Gizmo

Postby SusanMcGee » 05 Oct 2016, 10:49

A dairy free diet contains absolutely no dairy products; no milk, butter, cheese, cream or yogurt. People who follow a dairy free diet may include: lactose-intolerant individuals, individuals with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), ovo vegetarians, fruitarians or vegans.
An egg free diet contains no eggs or foods made with any part of an egg. Many pastries, desserts and breads contain eggs and thus cannot be eaten with an egg free diet. People who follow an egg free diet may include: individuals with an allergy to eggs, fruitarians, lacto vegetarians and vegans.
Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest significant amounts of lactose, the major sugar found in milk. Lactose intolerance is caused by a shortage of the enzyme lactase, which is produced by the cells that line the small intestine. Lactase breaks down milk sugar into two simpler forms of sugar called glucose and galactose, which are then absorbed into the bloodstream. People may confuse lactose intolerance with cow's milk intolerance because the symptoms are often the same. However, lactose intolerance and cow's milk intolerance are not related. Being intolerant to cow's milk is an allergic reaction triggered by the immune system. Lactose intolerance is a problem caused by the digestive system.
SusanMcGee

Postby SusanMcGee » 05 Oct 2016, 10:52

A dairy free diet contains absolutely no dairy products; no milk, butter, cheese, cream or yogurt. People who follow a dairy free diet may include: lactose-intolerant individuals, individuals with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), ovo vegetarians, fruitarians or vegans.
An egg free diet contains no eggs or foods made with any part of an egg. Many pastries, desserts and breads contain eggs and thus cannot be eaten with an egg free diet. People who follow an egg free diet may include: individuals with an allergy to eggs, fruitarians, lacto vegetarians and vegans.
Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest significant amounts of lactose, the major sugar found in milk. Lactose intolerance is caused by a shortage of the enzyme lactase, which is produced by the cells that line the small intestine. Lactase breaks down milk sugar into two simpler forms of sugar called glucose and galactose, which are then absorbed into the bloodstream. People may confuse lactose intolerance with cow's milk intolerance because the symptoms are often the same. However, lactose intolerance and cow's milk intolerance are not related. Being intolerant to cow's milk is an allergic reaction triggered by the immune system. Lactose intolerance is a problem caused by the digestive system.
SusanMcGee

Postby StJuniper » 06 Oct 2016, 13:56

Such vital information it needed to be here twice!
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Previous

Return to Allergies