Cutting out dairy - all or just the obvious?

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Cutting out dairy - all or just the obvious?

Postby monkeydo » 06 Jun 2012, 13:43

J is exclusively breastfed. He has always had a few skin problems (rash under the neck, very flaky scabby skin behind ears, rash behind knees) but today has had streaky blood and mucus in his nappy.

GP was very nice but reasonably unhelpful (it's probably nothing, don't worry).

From my own research I think I should cut out dairy and see if that improves his skin and prevents another nappy incident. From your experience, is it enough to cut out just the "obvious" dairy, or do I need to be label-scanning to cut out any and all dairy traces.

Also, once I've cut it all out, if he improves do I just stay off it until he weans from the breast, and do I not introduce any to him when BLWing, or is there a way of "testing the water".

Thanks x
Mum to little man J born February 2012 and little lady R born July 2014
monkeydo

Re: Cutting out dairy - all or just the obvious?

Postby MilkyJoe » 06 Jun 2012, 13:49

I would cut it all out to start with then introduce it slowly.

It takes a good 6 weeks to get it out of your system though although you will see improvement before then. I initially just cut out obvious dairy then everything. I wish I'd done it the other way as it helped Froglet so much.

If you are introducing it back in again you should start with cooked milk first, then hard cheese, then yoghurt, then actual milk. If your lo reacts to one of the above just go back to the previous stage and try again in 6 months or so.

x
(I was QBM)!

Mama to two amazing girls.
SummerGirl - 2011
WinterBaby - 2014
MilkyJoe

Postby LucyL » 06 Jun 2012, 19:21

I had the same problem with Tiger, and was advised by the paediatrician to first cut out completely as it's a surer way of telling whether or not you've hit on the right problem, then to slowly reintroduce after a few weeks (to make sure it really is out of yours and baby's system first) and see if he can handle you having small amounts.

Obviously if cutting out dairy doesn't solve the problem you'll have to dig deeper, but it's completely resolved it for Tiger, and I find I can have a cup of tea with milk in, and a few bits of chocolate, or a slice of pizza, or something equally "milky" a day before noticing any issue in him.

Re. introducing it into baby's own diet - Paed advised keeping him off dairy completely until about 18 months (I know advice on this age does vary from country to country) and then start slowly, in the order ratoncito said: milk in cooking or baking, cheese, yoghurt, and then "drinking milk". If it's a no-go, try again in 6 months and then every 6 months thereafter until no symptoms appear. I had the same problem as a baby, and could tolerate dairy at about 4, though I still can't overindulge...
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby AB&M » 06 Jun 2012, 19:48

I cut out everything including label reading stuff. It's hard! I fell off the wagon a lot & saw a regression but now I can have the odd cake / biscuit without worry. My diet was saturated with dairy before though!
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby monkeydo » 06 Jun 2012, 19:59

Thanks ladies, I will completely cut out then.

Just out of interest (and in vain hope), did cutting out dairy improve your little ones' sleep at all?!
monkeydo

Postby AB&M » 06 Jun 2012, 20:05

Yes & no. We no longer have hours of screaming in windy pain but her sleep is still rather lacking & I don't think she gets enough!
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby MilkyJoe » 07 Jun 2012, 13:46

Vaguely, in that Froglet stopped having repeated cramping pains. I'm sure if she wasn't a horrendous sleeper anyway, it would have been noticeably better!

Sigh...

:)
(I was QBM)!

SummerGirl - 2011
WinterBaby - 2014
MilkyJoe

Postby BLTMama » 07 Jun 2012, 14:03

My experience isn't quite useful because I didn't figure out Badger was intolerant until we started her on solids, but did want to mention that if CMPI is the issue (and it's the most likely thing), butter is often fine because it's almost entirely fat. I'd still cut it to begin with, but Badger eats loads of butter without problems.

Re: sleep, I don't think Badger would have been much of a sleeper regardless. But working on her diet at least stopped the wakings from pain (it's worse to wake to a baby in obvious pain than a baby who's woken for no discernible reason (although it blows regardless)) and made resettling easier.
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby monkeydo » 07 Jun 2012, 20:21

Thanks, J is an awful sleeper but doesn't seem to wake in pain, just can't get through one cycle to another. I doubt being dairy free will help then!

First day of dairy free, went to my auntie's house where everyone had cheesecake :(
monkeydo

Postby BacktoSaz » 07 Jun 2012, 20:45

As others have said, cut it all out. I remember with L a really bad period when I couldn't work out what was going on, and it turned out there was milk powder in the bread I was eating at work. I was surprised that something so small could wreak such havoc.

And no, I'm afraid, my kids still didn't sleep - they weren't in pain or discomfort, they just woke up a lot!
Mum to L - Nov 07 and J - Aug 09
BacktoSaz

Postby MilkyJoe » 08 Jun 2012, 14:42

I know how you feel monkeydo. 2 weeks into my dairy free diet we were on a family holiday and my sil went to the supermarket to get something for lunch - came back with bread and cheese. Nothing else. My OH wasn't happy. Then, she nipped out later that same day to get something for dessert and what did she come back with? ...Bloody cheesecake?! I believe the conversation with my OH went like this:

OH: Clare, can't eat cheese!
SIL: Not even cheesecake?

AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH
(I was QBM)!

SummerGirl - 2011
WinterBaby - 2014
MilkyJoe

Postby Alfie2512 » 08 Jun 2012, 22:09

My little boy is exclusively breastfed too and has the same symptoms as your Lo, except for the bloody nappy. Is this is sign of a diary allergy? I'm beginning to wean him and have noticed that has gets a rash when he has a bit of cheese and seems to be in a lot of discomfort. I've taken him to the doctors but he was no help and just said it was due to the weather! Would it be a good idea if i stopped having diary myself? or do i need to push my doctor to investigate to make sure he is allergic?
Alfie2512

Postby Antje » 08 Jun 2012, 22:28

Mucousy poo can be a sign of teething. Bloody poo can be normal if it's an isolated incident (DD had 2 bloody poops one month, and that was it.) I'm just saying that those two incidents don't necessarily have anything to do with dairy. (Although the skin conditions might.)
Antje

Return to Allergies