How do I get her tested?

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

How do I get her tested?

Postby AB&M » 22 Mar 2012, 13:43

So having been dairy free for a few weeks & had a big improvement with screaming & wind I want to get her tested. We've had issues when I've fallen off the wagon so certainly can see its good for her even if shes not actually allergic.

The thing is, I want to have that formula safety net for babysitting etc. but I'm worried normal formula could still be an issue... How do you go about getting tested?
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Re: How do I get her tested?

Postby messtins » 22 Mar 2012, 20:30

Your GP can arrange to refer you for allergy testing (skin prick or blood tests) but that will only show up a true allergy where the reaction is mediated by IgE antibody. If (as is more likely) she has an intolerance which is not mediated by antibody then she will be negative on the tests. The only way to confirm an intolerance is improvement when you withdraw the suspect food, followed by relapse when you introduce it again (either in BM from your diet or directly).
If she is reacting to dairy via BM then a cow's milk based formula would be likely to be a bad idea. You can get hypoallergenic formula prescribed either based on hydrolysed cow's milk or artificial amino acids. The bummer is they taste completely gross so persuading baby to take them can be a challenge. We used Oat milk once we were on solids for cereals etc and as a drink from 10m old, but only in addition to BF. It's not suitable (nor are any of the almond/coconut/rice/soya alternatives) as a main drink until they are two.
Messtins, part-time vet, rest-of-the-time Mum to D 10/06 and M 05/10
messtins

Postby AB&M » 22 Mar 2012, 20:37

Hmmm well I guess I best try pumping then grumble grumble

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby shye » 22 Mar 2012, 21:35

Yeah, I was going to say that testing for dairy is a non starter. Sorry!

You can buy soya based formula over the counter. It's a bit controversial because of the Great Soya Debate (is it good? Is it bad?) but having had rotten luck with pumping, I'd be tempted to use it occasionally.

And yes, the dairy free formulas smell disgusting. As in someone thought they smelt a pooey nappy when I took the lid off of calebs bottle :scream
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby LemonJuice » 22 Mar 2012, 23:01

Well we are now waiting until May 18th for our test.

My GP was not happy about me removing dairy from C's diet and her referral letter says as much, however, removing it has seemed to have had the desired effect. I know from friends who have allergies that GPs and food intolerances etc. don't go together very well.

I don't know how you feel about homeopathy. DP wouldn't let me go near it but there are homeopathic tests which a friend of mine used with her 2 year old son. It identified lots of food items that he was intolerant to and she removed these from his diet immediately (none were dairy I hasten to add) and the skin problems he had cleared within a week. Now he would have not understood what the results meant so...

Interesting comment about skin and allergy test not picking up on intolerance. I know C is intolerant now, like you B&M, because when I withdraw he is soooo much better than when I consume. I do try reintroducing from time to time and each time there is a reaction.

What I was hoping to find out was whether he was lactose or dairy intolerant - but I don't think my GP understood that these were separate issues from what she wrote in the referral letter.

Good luck
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Postby AB&M » 22 Mar 2012, 23:03

Shes likely to need 3 bottles for this opera junket so not major issue depending on how bad she is with it. We'll have to do a tester!

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby ches » 23 Mar 2012, 00:10

You don't have to pump! T was markedly improved by me going dairy-free (and is fine this week since I've started having milk again), but was okay with lactose-free formula all along. (He had milk curds in his nappies.) And you should be able to pay out the wazoo for some non-dairy formula. I'm not sure I'd bother for ONE night, though. She did okay (as in she was growing & thriving) before you quit dairy.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby elaruu » 23 Mar 2012, 00:52

ches wrote:You don't have to pump! T was markedly improved by me going dairy-free (and is fine this week since I've started having milk again), but was okay with lactose-free formula all along. (He had milk curds in his nappies.) And you should be able to pay out the wazoo for some non-dairy formula. I'm not sure I'd bother for ONE night, though. She did okay (as in she was growing & thriving) before you quit dairy.

When you say not bother for one night, do you mean just give normal formula for that one night? But that might not be good for whoever is looking after her, since doesn't she scream a lot if B&M has dairy? I think actually having a bottle of dairy would be worse. Sorry if that's not what you meant, ches.

I'm in agreement with allergy testing maybe not coming up with anything if it's an intolerance rather than an allergy. Someone could probably prescribe non-dairy formula without a test though. If a GP will refer you though I would probably think about getting it done. A has an actual dairy allergy but has never been tested because in my area they said they don't test babies as they might grow out of it, whatever that means :? . I really wish he had been tested because then I could get him tested again now to see if it's improving at all, just to give me some hope that he may grow out of it at some point in the future.
Mummy to two lovely Scottish-born boys - A 27/1/09 and J 9/3/11.
And an Aussie version - M 16/12/13 :).
elaruu

Return to Allergies