Organix raspberry and blueberry rice cakes???

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Organix raspberry and blueberry rice cakes???

Postby MummaQ » 19 Mar 2012, 16:10

Hi there,

As far as I can tell me lil man has only ever had a reaction on his face to egg and to Pate, which I figured may of had dairy in it. His face goes all blotchy around the mouth etc.

Today at a mums and tots play group thingy, they handed out a bowl with a slice of banana and a rice cake dusted in this "raspberry and blueberry " flavour. I had the banana as it was a tiny slippery little medalion and gave baby Q the rice cake.

When we got home I noticed his face all blotchy, it happened last time too. Now I've given him raspberry and blueberrys ( stewed and frozen and then defrosted) stirred into porridge before and blueberries he has a lot of in his porridge as its his favourite.

I've googled the ingredients...

Our honest ingredients..., Organic Wholegrain Rice 78%, Organic Apple Juice Concentrate 14%, Organic Raspberry Juice Concentrate 4%, Organic Blueberry Juice Concentrate 3%, Organic Vanilla Extract less than 1%, Thiamin (Vitamin B1)* less than 1%, Junk 0%, Total 100%, *Thiamin (Vitamin B1) is an essential nutrient for growing children, Thiamin has no organic certification Allergy Information: Free From Gluten, Free From Wheat

What am I missing? He's ok with apple too so I don't think it's that...

I have given him normal big rice cakes so I know he's ok with ricecakes.

Anyone else experienced this with Organix?

Thanks

Xxx
MummaQ

Re: Organix raspberry and blueberry rice cakes???

Postby Eleanor » 19 Mar 2012, 16:53

They are pretty sticky and highly coloured. I'd be inclined to blame that for the blotches rather than any particular ingredient. Did it bother him?
Eleanor

Postby MummaQ » 19 Mar 2012, 17:03

I think it itches a bit. It's definitely a rash. Not as bad as the egg reaction that was all over his cheeks and up past his nose. This is around his mouth and a little on his cheeks. Xxx
MummaQ

Postby CherryPop » 19 Mar 2012, 17:08

Are you sure it's not just staining (sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse here and you've already scrubbed him to within an inch of his life!). I stopped buying these due to the amount of stuff they stained...
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby MummaQ » 19 Mar 2012, 20:04

Nope it's a bumpy rash! It's a reaction to what he ate. It's definitely not staining! It's got a bit worse since earlier, I shouldn't of used the word "blotchy". It's definitely a rash that has happened before when he had egg and pâté.

He has had a nap and he was a bit grumpy when he woke but snapped out of it after playing for a bit, but think that's because he's tired, but could be related if he mouth was sore but he hasn't been scratching or rubbing.

I can only think maybe it's the raspberry as we've not had that lots, I'm going to rub a bit on his face in a week or two (after hes all healed) and see if that gives a reaction but I'm pretty sure it didn't give one before when he's eaten it and got it all over his face. He has blueberry nearly every other day, he loves purple porridge, but we've not had raspberry much because he's not keen... Maybe that's a sign!

I'm not bothered about not being able to eat them as I've never bought them I give him plain organic big ones, not the baby ones. It's just it can't be nice to have an itchy face I'd like to avoid whatever the trigger was.

He's asleep now, I'll put some of his eczema cream on it when he's in a deep sleep. Hopefully calm it down by tomorrow.

Xxx
MummaQ

Postby Riotproof » 19 Mar 2012, 20:27

Were they buttered? What was the person handing them out eating? I'm inclined to think some sort of cross contamination via somebody else.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Riotproof

Postby MummaQ » 19 Mar 2012, 20:43

No they weren't buttered. They were each given to the children in their own bowl. Dished out by the lady who runs it. It's all set up before we get there etc.

The only other thing I can think of is all the toys are cleaned in something that he's allergic to... Theres a lot of toys. The only way to know is to go again and not have the rice cake and see if it still happens?!!?

Xxx
MummaQ

Postby Spanner » 19 Mar 2012, 21:05

Or give him the rice cakes again? Then at least you would know for sure. If the reaction wasn't too bad, that's what I would do. Often kids get a bit blotchy from red things like strawberry and tomato but it's not usually anything to worry about.
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby MummaQ » 19 Mar 2012, 21:24

Well he's had it once before... Only been to the group twice.... And so I figured he could try it again and maybe last time it was something else, so I think it is the rice cake.

I guess it's all trial and error...

He had fresh strawberry the other day, his face was fine after. I was worried about that one affecting his face, being as he has ezcema and it's a common trigger.
MummaQ

Postby elaruu » 19 Mar 2012, 21:38

Yes, I agree. I'd just give him the ricecake again (at home I mean) and see what happens. Because if you go again and don't give him the rice cake and he doesn't have a reaction it's still not really definitive.

If it was something in the rice cake it would probably have been the raspberry, but I don't think that's an actual allergic reaction, just irritation from the raspberry, as also happens with some other fruits, like tomato. He'll probably grow out of it soon enough.
Mummy to two lovely Scottish-born boys - A 27/1/09 and J 9/3/11.
And an Aussie version - M 16/12/13 :).
elaruu

Return to Allergies