WTF is going on??

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

WTF is going on??

Postby WishingBone » 08 Mar 2012, 18:25

Aaargh! Bear is definitely lactose intolerant and has had a reaction to soya, so we've cut out dairy and soy and there has been an improvement. But last Saturday and again overnight last night she had massive bouts of diarrhoea. I don't think it's a bug, but it's not linked to any particular food either. We thought we had it sorted, but clearly not, and it's playing havoc with potty training. I'm starting to worry it could be coeliac disease or something - it's so stressful not knowing whether she's going to have a normal day or poo herself and get upset.
Bemused parent to the Bear (2009) and Smudge (2011).
WishingBone

Re: WTF is going on??

Postby RachelS » 08 Mar 2012, 18:34

Have you been referred to a dietician or for allergy testing. Perhaps a word with your GP is needed. Although there is also such a thing as toddler diarrhoea which does pass after a while.
Aspiring yummy mummy but managing to be a slummy mummy to 2 gorgeous boys.
DS1 11/08/06
DS2 14/09/09
RachelS

Postby messtins » 08 Mar 2012, 19:39

Are you sure it's lactose and not cow's milk protein intolerance - more common as a primary condition and also linked to soya intolerance? Coud she have had something with no lactose but contaminated with whey or casein?
Messtins, part-time vet, rest-of-the-time Mum to D 10/06 and M 05/10
messtins

Postby MumtoMonsters » 08 Mar 2012, 21:38

Just a quick thought, so feel free to ignore me! I saw in another thread that she did a poo in her sleep the other night. When K was witholding poos she pretty much only ever relaxed enough to poo when she was fast asleep. As Bear is currently potty training it is possible that she has started witholding poo. If so, she could have become mentally constipated, and the diarrhea could be the looser stools working their way around the solid stuff (which she then allowed to pass in her sleep).

Anyway, it's just a thought. K's 'constipation' was entirely psychological, there was no dietry basis for it whatsoever.
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby WishingBone » 09 Mar 2012, 16:55

Thanks for the thoughts. We're waiting for a referral to a paediatrician as a non-urgent case, though if the random diarrhoea continues I'll be asking for it to be made a higher priority. I don't think she's withholding - she gets a chocolate button for pooing on the potty or toilet and will sit there every 10 minutes trying to squeeze one out!

I think all we can do for now is sit tight and see when/if it happens again. Twice in a week seems too much of a coincidence for bugs though :(
Bemused parent to the Bear (2009) and Smudge (2011).
WishingBone

Postby ches » 09 Mar 2012, 17:28

Technically, it's not diarrhea unless it's more than twice in 24 hours. A bug would've been more frequent and foul-smelling. Keep a food diary for her. It will give you a head start with the pediatrician.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby catkin » 09 Mar 2012, 19:16

When you say diahorrea, how often/colour? Cos i think mouse may have something similar, he has frequent periods of quite liquidy poos which we haven't as yet been able to link to any specific foods.
When he has it I'm sure it's not an actual bug type diahorrea, when he had a bug he did lots of nappies and the contents were sort of watery and green; what i'm talking about is more back along the spectrum towards baby poos and max 2 in a day.
It's one of a few things putting us off trying potty training as yet. No help to you i realise, but will be interested to see what you find out. If we ever get around to having his 2-3 yr check i was going to ask the HV about it.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Return to Allergies