Not sure where to post this... Chicken Liver Pâté

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Not sure where to post this... Chicken Liver Pâté

Postby MummaQ » 03 Mar 2012, 20:34

At lunch bubba tried some chicken pate and cranberry jelly, he had a small reaction to it, nothing major all over his face like egg did, but just a little and was pretty much gone in a few hours.

What could of been in it? We've been avoiding dairy because of his egg reaction, I'm thinking they might of put some cream or something in it? What's in pâté usually? I didn't think it had diary in it, but I guess it could of had!

Xxx
MummaQ

Re: Not sure where to post this... Chicken Liver Pâté

Postby ches » 04 Mar 2012, 00:04

Not sure, but liver is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too high in Vitamin A in a form that is toxic in large doses for a 6 month old!
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby elaruu » 04 Mar 2012, 01:10

I agree with ches about the vitamin A, but I'm sure he'll be fine if it was just a tiny bit. Re the reaction, I just googled "chicken liver pate recipe" and the first 2 that came up had a large proportion of butter in, so that could've been it.

Good to know for me too in case I ever decided to give my 3 year old some, as he is also dairy allergic. I think I would've assumed it was just pureed liver and seasonings.
Mummy to two lovely Scottish-born boys - A 27/1/09 and J 9/3/11.
And an Aussie version - M 16/12/13 :).
elaruu

Postby ches » 04 Mar 2012, 02:33

Yes, I didn't mean that once would be deathly, but that I wouldn't offer it again for a good while. Vitamin A is fat soluble so whereas an overdose of Vitamin C or B-vitamins gets easily filtered out by kidneys as it's water soluble, Vitamin A (and D) are stored in the body.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby MummaQ » 04 Mar 2012, 16:04

But there is a recipe for Chick Liver Pâté on the BLW website???

He is 7 months, it wasn't loads that he had, but thought the vitamin A things was just when you were pregnant.....

I need to research this....

Xx
MummaQ

Postby SparklePetal » 04 Mar 2012, 21:31

MummaQ - different "official" sources seem to have different opinions on the suitability of pate/liver for babies. Some say not under 12 months, some do not mention it as a food to avoid. I think it's probably one of those things where if you don't offer it too often and don't allow unlimited access and then it's not a problem (in the same way as with a high salt food for example, you let them have some on occasion but not loads).
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Postby MummaQ » 05 Mar 2012, 11:04

Thanks SP, I've done a bit of research, general consensus was not before 6 months. But didn't see anywhere where it said not to before a year.

It's not a food he'd have unlimited access to, but didn't think there was anything to worry about until now. But I'll make sure he isn't having too much of it.

Xxxx
MummaQ

Return to Allergies