Cutting out dairy

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Cutting out dairy

Postby AB&M » 26 Feb 2012, 08:10

So kitten is über windy & evenings were getting better then suddenly the past 2 nights were really bad again. I've had a lot more dairy in those 2 days so I fancy an exclusion experiment.

To exclude dairy will be:
Milk so no cereal
Which means buying some olive oil spread - or do I need full on marg? I love my butter this will be hard :(
Yoghurt / fromage frais
Cheese :scream :scream

What else??
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Re: Cutting out dairy

Postby gali » 26 Feb 2012, 08:37

Chocolate! Your friend will be Alpro Chocolate desserts and kosher chocolate biscuits ... buy in bulk!

If you want to cut out all dairy then olive oil spread won't do either as it contains buttermilk ... you need Vitalite or Pure marg.

You will become a label reader, you need to look for terms such as whey and casein as well as the more obvious butter fat, skimmed milk powder etc.

You'll also need to look out for your own calcium levels so take a supplement.
Mum to two boys, born June 2009 ... and another, born January 2013
gali

Postby Fozza » 26 Feb 2012, 08:40

I would start with that. I did it for different reasons but found I could have some dairy spread and a bit of cheese. Milk and yog were the worst. But you might find dairy in all sorts of things like crisps that she reacts to too.

Re olive spread. If you were thinking olivio/bertolli that has dairy in it. And i assume most marg...i could be wrong. If you are changing from butter you might want to start with Pure olive spread and then introduce something nicer if you are able.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby gali » 26 Feb 2012, 08:42

I found this a useful read:
http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/food-sensitivity.html

And this is the details for the 'hidden dairy' if you are going to do it 100%:
http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehando ... airy01.pdf
Mum to two boys, born June 2009 ... and another, born January 2013
gali

Postby Fozza » 26 Feb 2012, 08:42

X posted with Gali
Cakes too :-( maybe don't think about what is banned think about what you can have.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby biccytoria » 26 Feb 2012, 09:11

I really struggled at first but after a few weeks it wasn't too hard. I used Pure marg, just be warned it doesn't melt the same on toast as butter and marg! You can sub it for marg/butter when baking. Breakfast was where I struggled the most too, and giving up my tea. I lived on toast with peanut butter and jam.

You can generally eat dark chocolate, look at the ingredients list, I made these loads so I constantly had a treat to eat http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/co ... ookies.htm

Initially I subbed with soya but then read that if Molly was allergic to dairy, as opposed to just intolerant, then she may have problems with soya too, so I used rice milk if I really needed a cereal fix. Just watch the sugar levels in non-dairy milks.

Good luck...
Mum to Aidan, 5th Aug 2007 and Molly, 14th June 2011

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsbrown/s ... 809350652/
biccytoria

Postby KateGladTidings » 26 Feb 2012, 09:29

Sorry, kinda skimmed the other replies...but alpro soya yoghurts are pretty good, and I use tesco unsweetened soya milk. Though I think biccytoria said soya might also be a problem?

I find cheese the hardest to replace!!
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby elaruu » 26 Feb 2012, 10:12

Yep, cheese is definitely the hardest to do without/substitute. Most soya cheeses are pretty foul tasting if you're used to real cheese. A likes them, but then he's never had real cheese so doesn't know what he's missing. As others have said, Alpro soya yoghurts are pretty good. I also hated not having milk in coffee. I used oatmilk and I did get used to it, but it just wasn't as enjoyable. I was dairy free when bf A, and up until about 5 months with J.

With J I discovered this:
, which was MUCH better for coffee.

Also this:
is awesomely chocolatey (but no dairy) if you need a chocolate fix. It's just in the normal bakery aisle in tesco, with the bagels etc, not in the free from section. I like dark chocolate, but I don't find it satisfies my chocolate cravings like milk chocolate does.

If I were you I'd try at first to be quite strict and cut out all dairy to see if it makes a difference. If it does you could try to gradually introduce things like butter and dairy in biscuits etc back to see if it affects her. There is less of the cow's milk protein in butter than in actual milk and yoghurt, since it is mainly fat, so may be OK.

Good luck!
Mummy to two lovely Scottish-born boys - A 27/1/09 and J 9/3/11.
And an Aussie version - M 16/12/13 :).
elaruu

Postby Riotproof » 26 Feb 2012, 11:26

Just remember you need to do it for 2-3 weeks before dairy is completely eliminated from your system.

I hope it's not it and you're just having a windy phase.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby Eleanor » 26 Feb 2012, 11:36

I found Pure Sunflower marge is the nicest substitute for butter (relatively speaking).

Oat milk for cereal - you have to get used to the taste a bit, but being oaty it goes well with cereals anyway.

Label reading... if you're going to be really serious and cut out 100% then you even need to check things like sausages and cured meats as a surprising amount of those have whey or milk powder. But with any luck even if it is a dairy sensitivity you won't need to be that rigorous.

Good luck!
Eleanor

Postby tanzanyte » 26 Feb 2012, 12:55

Haven't had chance to read the replies but I went dairy free for several months last year due to my own health. I thought that chocolate would be the hardest thing to give up but I was wrong, it was definitely cheese (I didn't bother with any of the so called alternatives). I swear I had withdrawal symptoms, however about 6 weeks down the line I no longer missed it. 6 months later I slowly began introducing dairy again as it made too little difference compared to the benefits of eating it, but I can now take or leave cheese.
I did use alpro soya milk so that I could still have cereal, not sure if you'd be able to try that? I also started taking rooibos black and still do take it black despite having dairy in my diet again.

I hope you don't find it too hard and that it helps little Kitten. Good luck!
Muffin Oct '07
Squeaky moomin Dec '09
tanzanyte

Postby Jelly Belly » 26 Feb 2012, 13:41

We haven't bothered trying to replace cheese and have just cut it out completely. For baking cakes/biscuits/scones, stork marg and oat milk covers most sins. Oat milk is surprisingly good for cooking with but awful for putting in tea/coffee (not an issue for you if I remember rightly but worth noting for lurkers). Oatly do a reasonable chocolate milk drink that we have hot when we get back from the park, so hot chocolate is still an option.

Many dark chocolates are dairy free so it's not a total no go.
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby BacktoSaz » 26 Feb 2012, 14:36

Just to echo what others have said:

-I found oatmilk much better than rice milk or soya milk for cooking and everything else... fresh Alpro soya milk (the stuff you get from the cool cabinet) is the nicest to drink
- Cheese - there is no substitute - you simply have to accept you can't have it for a while and therefore don't even bother to think about a pizza....and I am now slightly obsessive about it having had 2 x 1 yr periods of abstinence!
- some dark chocolate is fine
- jaffa cakes used to be dairy free :D

It's really not that bad...and if you see a dramatic difference in your child then obviously it all becomes worth it pretty quickly.
Mum to L - Nov 07 and J - Aug 09
BacktoSaz

Postby skip » 26 Feb 2012, 14:40

If you go to a health food shop you can get a cheese substitute called "Cheezly" which is passable if you're melting it (eg pizza or a cheese sauce) but not 'raw'. I'm not sure if the 'lactofree' range would be suitable - they do milk, hard and soft cheeses ad yogurt I think - all of which taste fine (though the cheese is pretty mild and rubbery). How does the lactose/dairy thing work?

Alpro chocolate yogurts are LUSH.

Holland and Barratt do a dairy-free slab of chocolate which is lovely too, and you can get different flavours: mint, orange etc...
skip

Postby ches » 26 Feb 2012, 15:07

I cut out milk and use almond milk on cereal. I never cut out cheese, cream cheese or butter. I figured he was struggling with lactose (milk curds in his poo) and not protein. He is able to tolerate lactose-free cow's milk formula, so I was right.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Next

Return to Allergies