Should I get her tested?

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Should I get her tested?

Postby Monsty » 21 Feb 2012, 15:10

We were at a restaurant on Valentine's Day and dessert was icecream with pistachio cookies on the side. After having a couple bits of the cookie DD complained that her icecream tasted funny and she started to make funny throat noises as if she was trying to clear a crumb from it. Their were no hives or swelling but all of a sudden I had a flashback to the last time she had something with pistachios in it (I could kick myself for not remembering that she had reacted to them before). I asked her if she needed to throw up which she said yes to. So we made a dash for the loo, but only got halfway through the (thankfully) nearly empty restaurant before she brought up her dessert (sorry for TMI), but then managed to get to the toilets (leaving the brilliant and very understanding staff to clear up) before the rest of her dinner came up. After having a few sips of water she seemed fine.
I would call that a mild allergic reaction and I remember she made the trying to clear throat noise but no throwing up the first/last time she had Chinese Takeaway.
Should I take her to the GP and get a referal (sp?) to get her tested for nut and seed allergies??
WWYD?
DD Colbie - born Oct 2007
DS Devon - born Dec 2010
Monsty

Re: Should I get her tested?

Postby Woodsies » 21 Feb 2012, 15:31

Personally yes, I would take her to the GP and get a referral - they can test her and you will know for certain what she is allergic to and carry any necessary medication she may need.
Mummy to Hannah (November 2005) and Tom (October 2008)
Woodsies

Postby cvious » 23 Feb 2012, 20:11

I would, and I'd avoid nuts until you do. Pistachio and cashew are allergies that generally occur together, if you think the Chinese contained cashew. It is common for the allergic reactions to be over on their own just as you've realized there is a reaction, but it might not always be the case.

Good luck, my daughter has nut allergy, and I know it's just awful to have something new to worry about. The allergist appointment was a miserable day (I've had scratch testing myself and didn't mind a bit, but it's harder on a 1-year-old who doesn't understand). We feel safer having done it and having our questions answered by an expert.
Mama to Strawberry, sprouted July 2010, and Baby Bird, June 2013
cvious

Postby Morlyte » 23 Feb 2012, 20:18

I seem to recall she did that with us too didn't she? Take her and get her checked. Hope C is ok, bless her. Big hugs from us.
Morlyte

Postby MummaQ » 25 Feb 2012, 19:19

Yes probably would, I've read it's something they can grow out of. But you'd want to know because there are so many hidden things in products, you'd need to check lots of foods and things you buy. 'may contain nuts' seems to be on a lot! Xx
MummaQ

Postby Monsty » 25 Feb 2012, 22:42

DD Colbie - born Oct 2007
DS Devon - born Dec 2010
Monsty

Postby Morlyte » 26 Feb 2012, 05:11

When we went it Chelmsord, in the park.
Morlyte

Return to Allergies