Got allergy results back...

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Got allergy results back...

Postby Woodsies » 08 Feb 2012, 10:53

H had a reaction to eating a peanut in January 2009 and has had an epipen ever since. Now she's a bit older and wants to go to parties without me these days, I decided to ask for her to be tested further in case her allergy had gone, or that it now included other nuts. She also had a terrible reaction after stroking a rabbit and then touching her face, so I wanted to check all that out too. The reaction to the rabbit wasn't anaphylaxis, it was a terribly swollen face.

Anyhoo, she had a blood test before Christmas and I had to take her up to the hospital on Monday for skin patch tests.

She is allergic to:
Brazil nuts
Hazelnuts
Peanuts
Almonds
Walnuts
Not coconut though :?
and

House dust mites
Cat dander
Feather dander
Pollen
Dog dander
(those can be treated with antihistamine)

I was really upset about it on Monday night. It's not that I feel she is missing out on some amazing food group because she can't eat them, it's more that it's a real worry for us. When she was taken to hospital when she had the initial reaction, the paramedic said it could have been the salt on the peanut that caused her lips to swell. I had clung on to that hope and had really hoped that when we went to the hospital on Monday they would say "It's all been a mistake! She isn't allergic after all!" and that would be that. Finding out it is more than just peanuts is really sad and really worrying. While she's young I can keep more control over her and what she eats, but as she gets older and has to take responsibility - well, that thought terrifies me. The consultant was really good and spoke directly to her about what it means, without frightening her, and made sure she understood that whenver she's somewhere without us, she has to ask the person in charge of food whether it contains nuts. I am confident she'll be able to do that. It was also suggested she starts to wear an allergy bracelet, I had never thought of that before. :oops:

DH says it will be fine, and I guess I know it will. We have managed for the last 3 years without her having any further eposides of anaphylaxis so all we really have to do is carry on as we have been doing.

And the world is much more aware of nut allergies, so as long as we're still careful, I am sure it will be okay.

No real point to this post, I just wanted to have a little "meh" moment about it.

ETA I was supposed to take my son with me on Monday to have the "peanut challenge" but I decided not to. I'll tackle that another day!
Mummy to Hannah (November 2005) and Tom (October 2008)
Woodsies

Re: Got allergy results back...

Postby Riotproof » 08 Feb 2012, 11:12

Woodsies, I'm sorry.

The good news is IME, people do tend to take nut allergies seriously these days. Coconut is not an actual nut.

If it makes you feel a bit better, I still haven't booked DS's baked egg challenge at the hospital. I'm scared of what they'll say.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Re: Got allergy results back...

Postby Mummyto1 » 08 Feb 2012, 11:24

((((Woodsies))))) I'd feel like you do, but I'm sure a lot of it is the shock and adjusting to a new reality (even if you kind of knew it before, it is very different when you are told for sure).

It sounds like H is taking it in her stride and I'm sure that will help you too, in time. But don't beat yourself up for feeling down about it, it's only normal, but it doesn't mean it will feel this way always.
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Return to Allergies