Allergies and bonkers baby

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Allergies and bonkers baby

Postby LemonJuice » 25 Nov 2011, 20:04

C displays behavioral changes which I now assigning to food intolerances. He becomes very loud and wriggly he's si strong now that it's reAlly difficult to manage. Does this sound familiar to any one else's experiences?
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Re: Allergies and bonkers baby

Postby robyn » 25 Nov 2011, 20:09

he was older, but when my little brother had anything with certain colourings in he used to go loopy, like he was drunk.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby A_W » 25 Nov 2011, 20:28

A is very loud and very wriggly and in the last week I've almost given up completely on nappy changes and let him roam the house bottom bare! Getting dressed is a nightmare too. I have to hold him with strength not just lightly to get to do anything. He's also telling me quite definitely when he doesn't like something - as in screaming very loudly i.e. if I take some electric wires off him or not give him a spoon at mealtimes (which he just bangs about and then forgets to do much eating so not very helpful for getting meals finished!).

I don't remember this stage with H. Or else I wiped it from my memory. Is it just boys????

I don't think it's food related with us. He's just starting to show his likes and dislikes more and need more stimulus. But if you do discovery something let me know! I've not eaten chocolate in the last week and only had bland food since dh and dd had a sick bug. Can't see what it could have been?
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby shellspark » 26 Nov 2011, 10:42

I definitely remember the suddenly getting headstrong phase (!) but just wanted to echo that we have suspected milk protein allergy/intolerance since he was about 11 mnths (after a horrendous tummy bug) and he definitely shows behavioural symptoms when he's had dairy.

Took us a while to work out, but for us it was banging his head on things, pulling his hair, hitting and throwing stuff and generally being quite aggressive... We took him off dairy for about 3 months and have been slowly reintroducing while we wait for an allergy appointment (I'm hoping he's grown out of it already..!).
Mummy to Little P (May 2010) and Baby C (October 2012)
shellspark

Postby BLTMama » 26 Nov 2011, 12:20

I realize this is a controversial issue, but there is very little scientific evidence to suggest that diet plays a role in behavioral issues. Here's a good review article (you have to have an account to read the whole thing, but it's free): http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/558797

Obviously what works for you works and you know your own child best. But diet would be one of the last things that I would consider with a behavior issue.
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby elaruu » 26 Nov 2011, 13:12

Sorry, don't have time to read the article at the moment :oops: , but just wanted to say that that might be true for older children, but "behavioural" issues in babies that appear to be food intolerance-related could be a response to pain, could they not? So not food causing strange behaviour directly, but indirectly through digestive pain or something? Just a thought.
Mummy to two lovely Scottish-born boys - A 27/1/09 and J 9/3/11.
And an Aussie version - M 16/12/13 :).
elaruu

Postby NancyJ » 26 Jan 2012, 21:30

It could be that the allergies are making him uncomfortable. My sister's son who has some food allergies gets really fidgety and fussy when he's suffering from reactions. You may want to talk with his doctor to see if it could be any of the medicines that he's on. I need to get my daughter tested but I don't know if my plans will cover the testing.
Last edited by NancyJ on 22 Feb 2012, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Mommy to Bella
NancyJ

Postby SevilleOranges » 28 Jan 2012, 20:06

my DD has just had a allergic reaction and her ''behaviour'' for about an hour after was not how she is normally at that time of day. . . screamed lots, seemed uncomfortable, wouldn't be put down, came over very tired all of a sudden and basically not herself ended up taking her to docs - she was as bright as a button once we got there
Mummy to BigBrother 07/08 and LittleSister 03/11
SevilleOranges

Return to Allergies