Possible egg allergy?

For the label-readers amongst us, a place to marvel at food manufacturers' ability to add milk powder to everything.

Possible egg allergy?

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 07 Feb 2010, 21:12

Well, I've been on this forum years now and I've never ventured into the Allergy board!

I confess, I've been a bit blase about A's food and potential allergens - although DH has asthma, eczema and hayfever, and we were slightly cautious with M, poor A has been suffering the curse of the second child (and the fact that M has had no food problems at all) and I haven't really been concentrating very hard on what she's been eating.

Anyway, the other day the girls had scrambled eggs on toast. A ate some of the egg, but tbh wasn't very impressed with the taste so didn't eat loads, but where it had touched her face it had gone very red and blotchy; it seemed to be irritating her so of course she rubbed it more and it got worse. We washed her hands and face pretty quick, and within about 10 minutes it had gone completely. There were no bumps, no swelling of anything, she was breathing ok, just red and blotchy and irritated. All the other ingredients (milk, butter, bread) she has most days with no problems, so I'm assuming that it's the egg.

Does this sound like a full-on allergic reaction, and if so, could it be worse next time she's exposed to it? I think she's had egg before, but in things, rather than as the main ingredient, but my memory is a bit sketchy :oops: . What do I do now? Avoid egg? Try to get her allergy tested?

Her cousin (DH's brother's daughter) is allergic to eggs and dairy.

Thank you all!
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Re: Possible egg allergy?

Postby Fozza » 07 Feb 2010, 23:04

Is she 6m? You could try waiting till 9m to try again - some sources recommed 9m.
If she's older, I'd talk Dr/HV - not sure how easy it is to get allergy testing - I've not pushed.
Get some Puriton for children just in case.
Has she had egg in things like cake etc?
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 08 Feb 2010, 08:20

Thanks Mae'r. She's 9 months this week, so I could just leave it a few weeks.

I don't think she's had cake (well, I haven't given her any!), but she certainly eats egg pasta and noodles with no problems. Although the egg in those would be tiny quantities I'd think?
gingerbreadhouse

Postby CherryPop » 08 Feb 2010, 08:24

Hi ST,

Jacob has an egg allergy although it's not severe - he can have things made with egg like pasta or banana bread, but not high-quantities of egg like quiche or plain egg.

We first noticed redness around his mouth when he had egg, followed by diarrhoea and a bright red bum for almost 48 hours. We waited about a week for it to get out of his system then tried again, with just a small amount. The same happened. He's fine with pasta etc.

I spoke to HV and she said because they so often grow out of allergies, that testing isn't necessary, they'll take my word for it. She said wait til after he turns 1 then try again and go back to see her if it still happens.

He couldn't have the normal swine flu jab as that is manufactured in eggs.

So I'm avoiding it til after he turns 1, then we'll see what happens.

Hope that helps a bit.
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 08 Feb 2010, 08:50

Cherry, thanks for that. Good thing you mentioned about the swine flu, A is booked for hers tomorrow!
gingerbreadhouse

Postby Disco » 14 Mar 2010, 16:16

I have recently experienced the same with ds - blotchy and red round his mouth when eating tuna mayo and cheese sandwich, and then a couple of days later french toast (eggy bread). I thought I'd given him something with egg in it before... But don't remember any reaction. In fact I definitely had because He had the normal swine flu jab at 6.5 months and he'd eaten egg before that as i "knew" he wasn't allergic, no reaction to the jag though and no diarrhoea. Not sure now. He's 7.5 months.

any ideas/advice?
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby puddingpie » 20 Mar 2010, 07:00

Hiya!

I was going to post about this and saw this thread. Magdalen is 7 1/2 months old and has had the same reaction (red rash around mouth) with eggs. She also gets hives on her hands, looks like nettle rash. She seems to get it even if its egg thats in something else. ie cake, pasta. My brother had anaphylactic allergies to seeds and nuts so Ive been totally paranoid about giving her things like houmous but so far shes been ok with those. We took her to the GP and he was really helpful. Hes going to arrange allergy testing and advised us not to give her egg in any form until we have had the tests. I really dont want it to turn into anaphylaxis as its terrifying (having experienced it with my bro and read other peoples posts on here!). I think its important to let your GPs know about egg allergies as some vaccinations are created using eggs (not just swine flu)!! Not sure which ones but the gp asked how she had been with the first set of three that she had so I assume they have egg traces in them!!
x
puddingpie

Egg Allergy of Baby

Postby BenAdam » 18 Nov 2016, 01:00

This is a very informative post.
I would add [url][url]Egg Allergy of Baby[/url][/url] (Symptoms and Treatment):
Eggs contain lots of essential nutrients which help in a baby’s growth.

But imagine the situation one day when you realize your baby is allergic to eggs?

What do you do next? We are here to help you understand better about egg allergy in babies, the symptoms, and treatment. Read on to know more.

In case your baby has an allergy to eggs, then he or she will show symptoms almost immediately after having them.

It is a medical fact that around two percent of children under three years are allergic to eggs.

Source: https://goo.gl/
BenAdam

Return to Allergies