14 month-old still not swallowing much

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

14 month-old still not swallowing much

Postby feetea » 25 Jan 2017, 15:20

My little boy has been breastfed on demand since birth and we've been doing BLW since he was 6 months. He sits at the table with us and is offered bits of whatever we're having. He really enjoys mealtimes and everything goes in his mouth and gets chewed around. However, the majority of it still ends up coming back out and into his bib. He is now 14 months old.

He's still breastfeeding about 4-5 times during the day and 6-8 times at night, so I'm not worried about his nutrition. However, I wonder whether there is something I could be doing to encourage him to swallow more?? It just seems very late for him still to be thrusting most of his food back out.

He's been having problems with constipation and the doctor has recommended more fibre in his diet (after I strongly objected to her first suggestion that I "cut down on the breastfeeding to encourage him to eat more food") so we're now offering him a lot of fibre-rich food, but he still only swallows tiny bits of it.

My understanding of the BLW process is that he will gradually start to want less breastmilk once he starts eating more solid food, so I haven't wanted to cut down on the milk first because my fear is that he'll be upset at not having the milk, he'll still be hungry and then won't eat any food anyway!

Am I wrong to not want to cut down on the breastfeeding?

Any advice would be very gratefully received :-)

Fiona
feetea

Re: 14 month-old still not swallowing much

Postby sabrina fair » 28 Jan 2017, 15:52

Hi! We've had members over the years who have kids who have taken till after a year to properly 'get' the eating thing, and they've been fine eventually so my first thought is that you and he are doing fine!

Having said that, I've found with both of mine that when I chose to to cut down on daytime feeds around 13-14 months in preparation for returning to work, they both naturally increased the amount they were eating. They still had plenty of milk during evenings and overnight. I was ready to move on a bit by then, but if you're happy to continue feeding lots then I suggest you keep going and trust that he'll move on to more foods when he's ready. Just make sure he's having a vitamin D supplement (see nhs guidelines for amounts) because there isn't much in breastmilk unless you spend a lot of time in the sun - I know this from slightly scary experience of my son being tested and his consultant saying he was rickets-level low!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby feetea » 29 Jan 2017, 10:15

Thanks Sabrina, that's really helpful :-)
feetea

Postby Mrs_Hiner » 13 Jun 2017, 18:58

I see this post is from January, I am having similar issues with my EBF 12 month old and am wondering if you have an update on your 14 month old?
Mrs_Hiner

Return to Toddler Led Eating