4-year old fuzzy eater

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

4-year old fuzzy eater

Postby Flores » 12 May 2016, 08:09

Hi everyone!
My toddler girl has turned into a really fuzzy eater.
She used to eat lots of different things, and loved veggies, up to she was like 3,5 years old.
And it has not passed yet, she is 4 years and 2 months.
The way thing are now she is just like the other kids who has not started eating With BLW.
Is this a phase that will pass? What are others experience with this?
When she was 2-3 and in kindergarden the people working there were so amazed and impressed with the varaity of good things she ate.
Flores

Re: 4-year old fuzzy eater

Postby Maybe tonight » 12 May 2016, 11:12

My almost 4 year old has recently started eating a lot more discerningly also (fuzzy too);). I put it down to starting to develop a sense of himself and also being very busy. We are trying to trust and also casually having good food around him a lot. .
Lovely boy born June 2012
Maybe tonight

Postby StJuniper » 12 May 2016, 11:21

They definitely go through phases with it. In my experience, just continuing to talk about how tastes change and you have to get used to flavours, and to praise brave tasting is most helpful. They come out of it in their own time. It is hard when you felt like they were really good eaters and suddenly they are restricting what they'll eat, especially if you were really proud of it :) But my feeling is that if they were a good eater, you know there are no sensory/sensitivity issues to worry about, so you can trust they'll outgrow it, perhaps with a little gentle prodding.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby EnigmaFish » 12 May 2016, 21:14

No advice here, but sympathy. My four year-old has also become very picky. She used to eat everything, then she became a fit fussy, and now she's really bad. Most days, she will voluntarily eat: pizza, pasta with pesto, porridge or peanut butter and jam sandwiches.
Yes, apparently foods that begin with P are the tastiest.
Our strategy at the moment is just not to let it become a big deal...
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby VickyBear » 04 Mar 2017, 11:01

Noooooo...I was hoping the fussy phase would pass by then...my vege munching baby turned into a brown food only toddler at about 18 months, and hasn't touched a vegetable at home since then (nursery she still eats ok but not as well as before). She's now three and I was hoping that by four she might have slightly more variety!
VickyBear

Postby SherryEllingson » 31 May 2017, 08:34

Toddlers copy what ado so eat with them as much as you can.Fussy eating is simply a phase that most toddlers go through. Try not to get too anxious.
SherryEllingson

Return to Toddler Led Eating