How much of what?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

How much of what?

Postby Kitcameron » 17 Mar 2016, 13:46

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had seen a good food chart type thing that showed how much kids of different ages should be eating. I'm not convinced my kids diet is great, CM in particular is getting less and less varied in what she'll eat and getting veg into her is almost impossible. I tend to fry and puree mushrooms to add to sauces and cook and puree spinach for the same and she eats tomato soup but that's not technically a veg. She eats fruit ok, although again a fairly limited variety, mainly bananas, blueberries, grapes and small oranges. She rarely eats meat or fish, strange child doesn't even like fish fingers, although she will sometimes eat sausages and sometimes mince.

SM I'm less worried about because she's bribe able and I'm told she eats well at nursery three days a week including her veg there. She also carrot and sweetcorn at home so gets veg and eats some meat. Both like eggs but don't really want to give them eggs every day to get protein into them.

So yes, I'm looking for a good visual food chart so I can almost tick off what they're getting enough if and what they're not and keep an eye on things. Preferably something free from tinterweb if possible. Any ideas?
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: How much of what?

Postby Treeb » 17 Mar 2016, 14:23

Your question brought to mind this thread kc: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54481

L barely eats any meat, and definitely not fish! He lives on mostly fruit, bread, crackers, cereal, cheese, peanut butter, yogurt, and a little raw veg now and then.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby StJuniper » 17 Mar 2016, 15:14

I use the Harvard Food Plate as a guideline for our family, but for a 1-2yo I would be worrying more about serving a variety and praising adventurous eating than making sure they had exact proportions of each food group. They get braver and more bribeable as they get older, and I like to think of it as a long game.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Kitcameron » 17 Mar 2016, 17:36

Thanks Treeb,

I'm on a big project for us all to eat more variety of meals tbh and I remember SM going through a similarly fussy stage but as you say, she's more bribable now so I'm not so worried about her.

They've both just wolfed homemade pizzas down so next week I may try making my own pizza sauce with veggies blended into it.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Return to Toddler Led Eating