under weight despite enormous appetite. . .

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

under weight despite enormous appetite. . .

Postby cabbagetreesaregay » 01 Dec 2015, 00:44

Hi all. DS has just turned one and has just today had his 1 year health check up. I was quite dismayed to find that his weight gain has completely tailed off and he is underweight for his age. He was a big boy born and has been tracking perfectly all the way through. Up until now he had always been a good bit larger than "average". Our doctor had me start him on rice cereal at a 4 months to 'top him up' because he was so big. I did for about a week before I stopped completely and picked back up at 6 months with BLW which he took to like a fish to water. A normal day for us looks like this.
Breakfast
Breastfeed both sides
1 and a half - 2 weet-bix
A large banana
A whole piece of toast
A cup of water
Then whatever he can scab off other people's plates. This morning he got about 1/4 of DH porridge and half of my toast.

Lunch
Ham and cheese sandwich
Some of last night's left overs
A mandarin
Some yoghurt
A cup of smoothie.
Again he will take whatever he can get from other people after that.

Full breast feed before his afternoon sleep.

Afternoon tea
3 rice cakes with some sort of spread on
About 5 cherry tomatoes.
Cucumber and carrot stocks with hummus
A piece of fruit
Some plain popcorn

Dinner
A decent plateful of whatever we are having
200ml of formula

Full breast feed before bed.

In between he will take whatever other people have and will steal off others at play group!

It is very rare that he will have less than this. Only when I'll. He has always been very consistant with his eating.
Does this seem like a hell of a lot to any one else? He eats it all. There is no waste. I just don't understand how he can be underweight.

And no he doesn't have worms. He is admittedly very active but the kid eats more than I do!

Please help! Am very concerned :(
cabbagetreesaregay

Re: under weight despite enormous appetite. . .

Postby yorkshirepudding » 01 Dec 2015, 01:29

That sounds like he is eating plenty! Did the doctor offer any ideas, were they worried? And did they measure height, to see if his height and weight are on similar centiles? Could be he just had a growth spurt, I read that boys often grow taller, the put weight on to match that, whereas girls grow more steadily in height and weight together.
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby cabbagetreesaregay » 01 Dec 2015, 01:41

No concerns other than the weight. They were full of praise in fact :) his height is still tracking beautifully.

But I was told to "give him a few extra spoonfuls" in addition to his meals (they have no idea that I have been blw, thinks I've been spoon feeding since 4 months) and to keep increasing until he is back up to weight.
cabbagetreesaregay

Postby Cofa's Tree » 01 Dec 2015, 01:53

Wow, that's an amazing appetite he has! If there were any concerns, the HVs would have referred you to the doctors wouldn't they (not sure where in the world you are to know your system), so if he's healthy and you (and they) don't have any concerns, then personally I wouldn't worry too much about charts. Could you get him weighed again in a month or so to check whether he's gone up, down or stayed the same?
Cofa's Tree

Postby eterna » 01 Dec 2015, 02:00

Those darn charts - I think they cause more harm than good some times. It's normal for their weight gain to vary and go in spurts. If you don't have any other concerns, then try not to worry. Just keep going how you are (he sounds like he is doing so well!) and to put your mind at ease, follow CT's suggestion and go back in a month to weigh again (maybe with a different nurse ;p)
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby Feefielou » 01 Dec 2015, 08:34

I echo the others, curse those growth charts! Easier said than done, I know. I'm a statistician and even so I still have trouble reminding myself that they are just averages and there's nothing wrong with crossing percentile lines, in either direction. But really, it's true! It's merely a signpost to alert health workers to the *possibility* of an issue but it isn't necessarily an issue in itself, only if it comes alongside other 'symptoms'. And in your case as the others have said, it sounds like your DS has a fantastic appetite and if he's healthy then there's no need to worry. Plus the joy of BLW is that you don't have to think about offering 'a few more spoonfuls'- if he were desperately hungry he'd eat even more, so you can feel confident that he's getting what he needs.

Could he maybe send some notes over to Moonbeam about eating? Especially the whole 'no waste' part? We seem to have eating confused with floor decorating around here.
Brit living in France/Switzerland, Mum to Moonbeam born December 2013, Lentil born August 2015.
Feefielou

Postby haniyah » 02 Dec 2015, 19:10

He really eats a lot, I wouldn't worry, same as others have said. As long as you give him healthy food and he eats until he is full and his general health is fine, it is all good.
Mum, organic food lover and blogger. Teaching my baby to eat proper healthy food. Check out my blog! nofussyeaters.com/blog
haniyah

Postby EnigmaFish » 02 Dec 2015, 20:51

Kleintje ate that much too, and at the same age she was tiny. If they didn't send you for a referral or ask you to come back then there's no need to worry. (Personally, I wouldn't go back in a month - my experience is that then they think you're worried, so that makes them look for something to worry about.)
The only thing I'd add to the excellent advice above is to maybe add in some more high-fat foods: avocado, Greek yoghurt, cream, butter, full-fat cream cheese, tahini...
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby ches » 04 Dec 2015, 00:26

Weight gain tailing off or being static at this age is 100% normal in my statistical sample of two. My boys were big (huge, off the growth curve) from birth and still are, but that's expected because I'm 90th %ile height and DH is 6'6". If we were average stature then it would make sense that around now their growth stops being dominated by birth weight (double by 6 mth, triple by 1 year) and be governed more by their ultimate size. My eldest did not gain any weight from 9 to 12 months, but did master walking, running, climbing, and other things. Sod the scale and soldier on if all other growth and development is normal!
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby bigcatmaniac » 05 Dec 2015, 08:58

I wouldn't go back either in a month - maybe the scales were out? Leave it till the 18 month check. I wouldn't be too worried - that sounds like more than my two are eating together in a day. I'd just up the high fats foods as said before if you are overly concerned. You can always give the 'professionals' his food diary for a week if they tell you to up his portions!
bigcatmaniac

Return to Toddler Led Eating