Cutlery

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Cutlery

Postby Robyn31 » 13 Oct 2015, 07:47

I did baby led weaning from six months with my daughter, very succesful, everyone raves about how well she ate etc the only concern people did have was the use of cutlery and would she be able to use it etc. I thought it was ridiculous at the time and of course she would use it eventually. She's is almost 2 1/2 and although she can use a spoon and fork very well, she won't. No matter how much we try to encourage her. Should I be concerned or is this the norm around this age?
Robyn31

Re: Cutlery

Postby emzit » 13 Oct 2015, 08:42

It's down to the kid, nothing to worry about. My 18 month old gets cross if we forget his cutlery, my four year old has to be reminded every meal and still eats most of it with hands. They'll get there eventually.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 13 Oct 2015, 08:55

My 5 and 3 year old use cutlery from time to time. We have recently introduced house points for lots of behavioural issues but also for using cutlery - and it's working.

At 2.5, I wouldn't be worrying too much about it. But if it continues and you do want to encourage good table manners, then perhaps a reward system may be enough to coax her into picking up her knife and fork!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby lizandimo » 13 Oct 2015, 15:07

DD is almost 3 and like your little one, although she CAN (and generally does) use a spoon and fork, sometimes she prefers to use her hands e.g. if she's very hungry and its something she's having trouble picking up with a fork! She only made the switch to mainly cutlery in the last few months or so and will now exclusively use a spoon for soup and yoghurt (yay, less mess!), but I don't really worry about her using her hands sometimes - if she's happy and eating then I'm happy too! I wouldn't worry too much.
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby Crisi » 21 Feb 2016, 04:41

Mines getting close to three and she also can use spoon and fork pretty welll, but lately shes been really wanting me to feed her! A lot of it seems to be born of frustration, some foods she doesn't need help with, but when it comes to stuff like pastas (which she no longer wants to eat with fingers) she insists that I need to help her. And I do, because I want her to eat and not helping her would result in no eating and lots of crying, etc, and generally feels like it makes for a bad eating experience. Buuuuut I'm tired of feeding her food I know she can eat.

Of course part of this could also just be a clingy phase she seems to be going through where she wants me to always be around and wants more help with everything that she used to be able to do by herself. Right now shes sitting next to me having her yogurt snack constantly telling me she needs help as she is spooning it to her mouth easily -_- Toddlers... what'cha gonna do with them?
Crisi

Return to Toddler Led Eating