Actual genuine food question

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Actual genuine food question

Postby mamapup » 07 Oct 2015, 19:55

MrC has announced, after two weeks of being in charge of cooking ( whole other painful story!) that he doesn't want to cook the meals I suggest because the kids generally don't want to eat much of them. I try to do a mix of meals I know they'll eat, meals one of them sometimes eats and things we like. He has decided he only wants to cook things he knows they'll eat because it's stupid to get stressed and try to get them to try things.

While I agree I don't like the stress, I think it's stupid to only cook things we know they eat. Just a few weeks ago neither of them at omelette but now they both devour it because I persevered. I get that tonight's lentil soup was unlikely to be a big hit with the kids but really, there's no reason not to expect them to try it. Is there?

We have fairly fussy kids (I give in. Actually they are picky) What do others do, cook for kids or cook with everyone in mind? Oh, should add we always eat supper together.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Re: Actual genuine food question

Postby pirate_han » 07 Oct 2015, 20:20

I was a horrendously fussy kid. I think I ate about five things (not five meals, five things). My mum cooked what I would eat. If she hadn't I wouldn't have eaten.

I can't be bothered with the battle, to be honest, so although B is pretty good on the whole (I'm not including A because he hasn't come across anything he doesn't like yet including cat food :scream), if we're having something I know she doesn't like I cook her something else. if she wants to try what I have she'll ask (and she usually does).
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby Raktajino » 07 Oct 2015, 20:55

We're a bit stuck in a rut and cook the same meals regularly. I probably have about 15 go-to meals. And with the exception of curry, everyone likes everything.... almost! Well at least the majority of each meal gets eaten. There are always bits and bobs we insist must get tried... peppers in a sty fry for example. Me and dh like them, so they'll stay.

I won't cook separate food. I have a eat it or be hungry attitude. But I'm happy to make very small accommodations!!! Dd doesn't tolerate anything spicy. So I'll wash (lick) the sauce off before plating hers!!!

When I serve food in bowls at the table, so dd can serve herself, it seems to work well. We have a rule that she must have a bit of everything, but she gets to control how much goes on her plate. She'll serve herself 1 pea, if she's anti-green that day, but she'll eat it!
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby Riotproof » 07 Oct 2015, 21:04

I think your approach is good.

It's nice to have lots of things seperate or easily separated though, and we do need to accept that certain things they just don't like. For example, I just plonk a raw carrot on ds's plate if we're having cooked ones.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby yorkshirepudding » 07 Oct 2015, 21:05

Generally I cook what I want to cook, but saying that I have a fairly limited repertoire! Moo doesn't eat much of some meals and if I'm very forward thinking I might give him a lunch he particularly likes on that day, to make sure he's had something. Usually finish up with fruit and yoghurt so he has something. If he doesn't have a snack in the afternoon he is more inclined to try new things and actually eat vegetables. Totally shocked me by eating minestrone soup a while back!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby sabrina fair » 07 Oct 2015, 21:15

We have a combination. 3 meals get eaten by everybody. Another 2-3 are eaten by us and squidge, and the rest are only eaten by us. The kids are offered dry cracker and then yogurt as normal. I'd say half our meals during the week are the ones we'll all eat. We don't cook something different for the boys but may adjust the meal for them if appropriate...so broccoli and potato soup was offered but alongside bread with healthy toppings (cream cheese or hummus). The boys only ate the bread and toppings. They're not expected to taste anything to get anything else.

Maybe the answer to your impass is to weigh things a bit more towards stuff they'll eat but don't stop entirely the stuff they won't.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby junglewonderland » 08 Oct 2015, 12:51

oh mp, I feel your pain. I am embarrassed by how fussy Koala is. I will often cook something we will all eat a part of, often steak and veges. Koala will eat oven roasted potato or sweet potato, and steak if it is smothered in tomato sauce. If Koala doesn't like something I've cooked, I don't give him another option, and then he usually eats nothing. Except if it's spicy, because I am ok with him not liking spicy food, I think that is a bit much to expect of him. So I avoided spicy food for years but I love it, so I am more and more cooking spicy food and giving him baked beans and toast for dinner.

But I reckon if Mr C is cooking he gets to decide what to cook (but then also has to organise the ingredients too I guess).
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby emzit » 08 Oct 2015, 20:10

We do a combination too. Mostly meals I know everyone will eat but a couple of times a week something muncher won't eat. For those ones I modify ingredients and cook a few extra bits so muncher eats something similar. For example, he won't eat chicken and kale quinoa stir fry so I keep back a few bits of chicken, cut up some pepper, add frozen peas and corn and he gets that. I encourage tasting every now again but he's pretty stubborn. Things he refuses to eat in a variety of formats I don't bother with it all. He won't eat pumpkin however it's cooked or in ravioli etc, but he says he hates zucchini but eats zucchini soup so I do encourage trying those kind of things.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby mamapup » 08 Oct 2015, 21:59

Thanks all. OK we spoke together and then with the children. We decided we will do more child friendly meals and try to separate out bits when it's stuff more for us.

Tonight we had melanzane and garlic bread. Little Croc ate nothing (she often doesn't eat any supper as guzzles tea at nursery), puppy ate plenty of garlic bread and then consented to try the goats' cheese from the melanzane in exchange for the last piece of garlic bread. Then yoghurt for pudding. Phew.

Oh, and I should recommend banana sushi! I did it for a treat breakfast this morning: chop up banana, put little bit of nut butter (I admit to using chocolate spread as our nut butter is down to the dry.end bits) and then sprinkles. Amazing. The puppy was so excited to eat banana sushi. And OK, so he'd happily eat the normal banana too but he did love the experience.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby StJuniper » 08 Oct 2015, 22:10

^Ive seen that done with Rice Krispies. Which I never have but I bet my boys would just love.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Return to Toddler Led Eating