Teaching eating with a fork

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Teaching eating with a fork

Postby EmmaWood » 27 Aug 2015, 01:12

My 19 month old has been doing BLW since he started on solids. As a result, he is really good with eating lots of different foods and he is very good with his hands. Perhaps too good! We are struggling to make the transition to using a fork/spoon consistently. Does anyone have any good tips to encourage this?

Thanks,
EmmaWood

Re: Teaching eating with a fork

Postby emzit » 27 Aug 2015, 04:07

I don't think you need to push it, tbh, that's still pretty young and they're all different. My 17 month old prefers to use cutlery, he has since very young but his 4 year old brother needs reminding every meal. Just keep modelling the behaviour and it'll click at some point.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby sabrina fair » 27 Aug 2015, 09:45

I agree there's no need to rush - they all get there when they're ready. My just turned two year old sometimes uses cutlery and sometimes uses his hands. The best way to encourage cutlery use I've found is to provide it to toddler, use it yourself and then ignore them (in a caring way, obviously!). They want to be like you, but they like doing the opposite of what you are asking them to do!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby somerandomchick » 02 Sep 2015, 19:55

I wouldn't push it. One day DD just figured out using a spoon/fork--from watching us, she knew what it was for, so we just started offering the option. Some foods can be really difficult with a fork so it might take some trial and error to figure out what baby will find too frustrating (example, DD is still not great at using a fork to break up food like an egg). They'll figure it out and get better at it over time. For awhile, DD would sometimes pick food up with her hand and put it on the fork manually if it was too hard! Or she'd try using her fork, get annoyed and just "cheat" and eat with her other hand instead of using the silverware she was holding. We didn't push her about using the fork properly and she picked it up over time

It can help also to use plates & bowls designed for toddlers, which tend to be designed for kids who are just learning silverware. They're usually designed so they can't push food off the edge while trying to scoop it up (a lip for the food to get caught against and allow them to successfully scoop it, etc)
somerandomchick

Return to Toddler Led Eating