how to eat with baby and not get fat

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

how to eat with baby and not get fat

Postby carylharp » 21 Mar 2015, 19:01

hello,

Blw encourages parents to share meals with babies. But how do you do this and not gain weight from the full fat milk etc used in meals like broccoli pasta bakes and so on? I have a 1 year old and blw is going pretty much ok except for me getting bigger! I am not eating lots but am certainly eating the full fat yoghurt, milk etc. and feel its taking a toll.

Any tips would be very welcome,

thanks
carylharp

Re: how to eat with baby and not get fat

Postby Marrow » 21 Mar 2015, 19:08

Do you finish your baby's leftovers? That's my downfall.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby pookiecub » 21 Mar 2015, 19:53

It doesn't need to mean you eat exactly the same thing.

Cook broccoli, have yours plain, top theirs with fine grated cheese, you can even make a tiny amount of white sauce in the microwave if you want.

Get small tubs of yogurt for baby, get the yogurt you want as well.

Put extra's on theirs to raise calories, like unsalted butter, peanut or other nut/seed butters, cheese etc. Your meal does not have to be identical. I can hardly think of any meal we all have an identical plate, you don't have to cook extra, just be creative and serve yourself correctly.
pookiecub

Postby mamapup » 21 Mar 2015, 19:57

Don't eat the yoghurt! Don't make pasta bakes too often and don't ever cook with butter, use oil. Make porridge for them with full fat milk and for you with whatever milk you use. When your kids are little, don't eat the leftovers.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby pookiecub » 21 Mar 2015, 21:40

I don't think I could ever stomach eating what little my baby leaves, I don't give her too much (offer more if she eats it all) and she slobbers or squishes all over things!
pookiecub

Postby busmother » 24 Mar 2015, 20:22

One of the reasons I did BLW was that it would encourage us to eat much more healthily - and I'm sure that was the case, we ate far more fruit and veg than we did before. But then our pre-baby diet wasn't that great, and perhaps yours is better.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby RedRum » 24 Mar 2015, 22:15

I think it's more about the baby joining your meals than you adapting your meals for the baby (although the reality is probably somewhere in the middle). I eat full fat yoghurt etc anyway as it's more nutritious and I don't really go in for diet/light options as I prefer to eat whole foods, and we don't eat much pasta etc. Do you really find it makes that much difference to use whole milk?
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby riff » 04 May 2015, 07:18

You may want to look up about nutrition - now the opinion is that full fat dairy is much healthy than low fat, and it's not fat that makes you fat, it's sugar! In fact, fats are recommended. have a look at the authority nutrition website. It's liberating.
riff

Postby Benedict » 21 May 2015, 05:28

Just avoid the things you feel are making you fat and replace them with non-fat ones.Although I too believe that sugar is more responsible of gaining weight than the fat.
Benedict

Return to Toddler Led Eating