Question about BFing 11 month old

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Question about BFing 11 month old

Postby novarobin » 10 Mar 2015, 01:41

I'm not sure where else to ask this and I figured a few people here may be able to help.
I have been offered the opporunity to take part in something over 3 days at the end of June. My son will be just shy of 11 months. My husband is off and will be able to either stay home with the baby, with plenty of milk in the freezer, or come along and meet me at the end of each day with the baby. I am going back to work at the beginning of August so I plan on weaning the baby by then. I pump now and the baby will take a bottle so that isn't an issue. My issue is that I will be able to pump in the morning, and probably only once through the day until the early evening. I'm not sure how much he will actually be feeding at that time and if this schedule will interfere with my milk supply.
I understand that it is pretty individual but I'm just wondering if anyone has any imput on whether this is possible or not.
novarobin

Re: Question about BFing 11 month old

Postby EnigmaFish » 10 Mar 2015, 19:40

As far as I know, you shouldn't have any problems. Your milk supply would be fully established by then. Even assuming he is still feeding more than three times a day, and even if your supply did dip while you were away, then a few days intense feeding when you get back would easily increase the supply again.
A friend of mine did similar around the same age. Her mother looked after the baby during the day. So yes, it is possible and it doesn't have to affect your supply. That baby weaned many months later.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Monochrome » 12 Mar 2015, 14:54

When I first went back to work 3 days a week I pumped twice during the day while LO was at nursery. Sometimes I pumped less than he'd had at nursery, sometimes a bit more, but overall we kept a decent supply going. I then switched to only pumping once during the day - and I managed to produce enough with that too! Often at that pumping I wouldn't quite produce as much as he had during the day, but I always seemed to end up in positive milk by the end of the week by pumping at other times. Now my DS is 1 I've decided to stop pumping and he has cow's milk at nursery and I breastfeed him normally the days he's not there. I thought that would be a disaster and my breasts would explode on nursery days and he wouldn't get enough milk on non-nursery days, but it seems to be working also. So basically my message is, we're surprisingly adaptable so give it a go.
Monochrome

Postby novarobin » 15 Mar 2015, 00:10

Thanks you both!
novarobin

Postby VickyBear » 23 Mar 2015, 19:22

As everyone says above - I would say it would be fine! My daughter hasnt taken milk of any description from anywhere other than a breast since she was six months. When I had a few days at work my mother in law looked after her and I pumped once in the day and there weren't any problems with supply. She did feed for a long time afterwards but I was never sure if that was because she hadn't had any all day or comfort having been away all day! I also had 3 days when she refused to nurse at all and when she finally went back on it was fine - I was pumping a bit in that time but not as much as she probably would have fed normally.

They're pretty good at the whole breastfeeding thing by 11 months!
VickyBear

Return to Toddler Led Eating