transitioning from bottle to cup/sippy cup

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

transitioning from bottle to cup/sippy cup

Postby avrillo » 09 Mar 2015, 23:44

Any tips for helping with the transition from bottle to sippy cup for milk feeds. My son (11 mth old) struggles to drink from a sippy cup (with a valve), tips it up no problem and has a mouthful or two but nothing more. I have removed the valve from another sippy cup and he gets more from this then tips it everywhere. They just seem so difficult to drink from. He's a wee boy and his solids intake has just started to increase which is great but he is still having 3 bottles per day and I know that past 1, he will probably still have 2 ish. But I would like to start getting him off the bottle to a cup- how can I do this without having him drink virtually no milk. I'm in NZ and have tried several no leak sippy cups and am wondering how other people deal with this? Any recommendations on an easy to drink from no leak sippy cup or do I just let him have one with no valve and put up with spills until he learns??
avrillo

Re: transitioning from bottle to cup/sippy cup

Postby StJuniper » 10 Mar 2015, 02:39

Why not give his milk from bottles and just use the sippy cup for practice at mealtimes and out and about? We used give very small amounts of water in a shot glass, and R takes a sippy cup of water to bed with him, and has one available throughout the day. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to give milk in the sippy cup until after it's mastered with other less important drinks...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby StJuniper » 10 Mar 2015, 02:39

Why not give his milk from bottles and just use the sippy cup for practice at mealtimes and out and about? We used give very small amounts of water in a shot glass, and R takes a sippy cup of water to bed with him, and has one available throughout the day. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to give milk in the sippy cup until after it's mastered with other less important drinks...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby somerandomchick » 10 Mar 2015, 22:46

Sippy cups are out of fashion these days... cause teeth problems or something. Ideally they're intended to be used for short-term transitin (like, use it for a month)

Have you tried using straw cups? We find that DD has a much easier time with straws than sippy cups. It took her a long time to figure out the gravity thing (tilt a cup/bottle to drink). So straws have worked a lot better, and really they're better for your teeth & palate development anyways.

Camelbak water bottles (kid version) are great for being the easiest to figure out straws ever. DD figured it out at 6 months in one second flat. At some point she figured out standard straws as well... by 11 months I imagine your little one can probably figure out straws. DD started with straws for just water and wouldn't drink milk from a straw... until she would one day. I was ok keeping her using a bottle occasionally past a year--the main problems with a bottle are letting your kid carry it around all day and take it to bed, that's definitely a no. But 'sit down and drink this bottle', DD was doing until almost 18 months
somerandomchick

Return to Toddler Led Eating