Fussy eater! please help!!!!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Fussy eater! please help!!!!

Postby Lizz » 01 Mar 2015, 18:35

Have been doing baby led weaning since bubby was 6 months, but in that time he's never eaten a vegetable, now 18months! Now when I say never eaten a vegetable if they are hidden sometimes I get away with it. However if the vege is on display its a no go.
He also refuses food without even trying them, which is really frustating. He also like foods some days and not others. We limit treats and he loves his fruit.
Sometimes he just refuses completely and then we try and decided what to give him, an alternative or nothing
There are some food issues in our families and im worried they are going to be pasted on to him, mainly obesity and ocd.
Please help!!
Mum to a toad sept'14
Lizz

Re: Fussy eater! please help!!!!

Postby mamapup » 01 Mar 2015, 19:51

Totally normal. Neither of my two will willingly eat vegetables. The puppy is almost three and hates them still. Little Croc is almost one and no longer eats them, she did at the beginning.

I think people suggest that little ones don't need vitamins like we do and since blw is about trusting them to eat what they need he's probably ok. Is he a.carb or protein feind?

I certainly make the odd dishes that have veg hidden in them and the kids love them so I assume.it's a texture thing rather than a taste thing.

Don't worry though, soon you'll be able to bargain with your child, or even just tell him you expect him to try veg. My puppy is expected to try a bite of things on his plate and veg I know he really hates it don't make him eat but others, if he's just ambivalent such as.spinach, he has to have a bite.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Lizz » 01 Mar 2015, 20:04

He is definitely a protein boy, meat meat and fish! He also loves his pasta and pesto, which I think is an odd flavour for a baby. He hates potatoes in any form. He seems to like strong tastes, which surprises me and of course sweet things!
Mum to a toad sept'14
Lizz

Postby mamapup » 01 Mar 2015, 20:51

Pasta and pesto is odd? No way. It's a firm favourite here. My two would eat it every day if I let them.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby Lizz » 01 Mar 2015, 20:56

Lol maybe it's not as odd as I thought. It's just an usual flavour, he doesn't really like tomato based stuff, so tomato base sauces are out. I love it too, I guess I didn't see it as 'baby friendly food' but it's a must have in our house
Mum to a toad sept'14
Lizz

Postby mamapup » 01 Mar 2015, 22:22

My puppy hates tomatoes but if I make a tomato and veg sauce and blitz it I can get away with calling it 'red pesto'. He's smart but not so smart...muhaha.

Also, I sometimes add coconut milk to a blitzed veg sauce and serve on noodles.
Cauliflower mac and cheese?

mamapup

Postby somerandomchick » 09 Mar 2015, 20:12

Lizz wrote:Lol maybe it's not as odd as I thought. It's just an usual flavour, he doesn't really like tomato based stuff, so tomato base sauces are out. I love it too, I guess I didn't see it as 'baby friendly food' but it's a must have in our house

Try feeding him tallarines verdes! (Which translates literally to 'green noodles'). It's a spinach-basil pesto-like sauce. DD has loved it when I've made it. It also doesn't have pine nuts so if you're ever trying to feed both your toddler and somebody with a pine nut allergy, its good for that
somerandomchick

Postby Kanga » 10 Mar 2015, 04:26

I just read this and thought of this thread.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Kanga » 10 Mar 2015, 04:26

I just read this and thought of this thread.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby avocado » 23 Mar 2015, 20:47

Kanga wrote:I just read [url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.parents.com/blogs/food-scoop/2015/03/06/diet/trying-to-get-your-child-to-eat-vegetables-here-is-why-you-shouldnt/?socsrc=pmmfb1503099</span>]this[/url] and thought of this thread.
Just read this and made me feel much better. My 2.5 year old eats 'nothing' and sometimes it getsme down. Glad I'm doing the right thing by basically ignoring that fact and carryign on as usual.
avocado

Postby Lizz » 11 May 2015, 19:42

Brilliant article thanks, we do most of those things already so that's a relief
Mum to a toad sept'14
Lizz

Postby EnigmaFish » 11 May 2015, 21:35

Really good article, kanga, thanks for sharing.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to Toddler Led Eating