Rant! help explain/justify BLW to old-school weaners

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Rant! help explain/justify BLW to old-school weaners

Postby jennacari » 05 Feb 2015, 12:32

She means well but I wish my mom would not suggest I make the kids a special meat and two veg roast dinner with gravy because 'that's what kids like'.
I have chosen to feed my kids like small people rather than babify everything for them.
I want them to be offered whatever we eat.
I don't want to pressure them to eat and conform because she makes me feel that pressure.
I'm ok them eating raw foods (toddler - fruit, nuts, bread) not necessarily cooked meals, if that's all they will eat.
I'm not massively worried about the amount they eat because they are breastfed on demand.
Eating when we eat doesn't really suit the kids, and I'm ok with that.
I think it's more natural for them to graze throughout the day than have three square meals.
I don't want to be made to feel like a bad mom or like I'm inadequately providing for my kids.
I don't believe they have to master cuttlery skills and table manners by a certain age otherwise they'll never be able to function in society.

Hi everyone, I'm a WAH mum to a 2.5 yr old boy and 10m old girl. I still BF my toddler as well as my baby.
My mum lives with us so I get this pressure every day and not just over my BLW choices.
How do you get people to understand that BLW is a different philosophy and that a purpose-made roast dinner makes no sense? x
jennacari

Re: Rant! help explain/justify BLW to old-school weaners

Postby mamapup » 05 Feb 2015, 13:20

Give her the book to read or show her your post. Your kids, your rules.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby ChristmasGift » 05 Feb 2015, 20:06

That must be tough. I guess how to deal with it depends on your Mum and the relationship you have with her. As MP says showing her the book might help from a BLW perspective at least. With my parents (who've looked after my LO 3 days a week from the age of 1) I tried hard to explain how I wanted things done but without it sounding like I was criticising the way they did things in the past. My Mum found it really hard, especially the BLW thing but I just tried to remember that they are of a generation where things were done very differently. I am having a similar problem with my PILs who now have my LO two afternoons a week to ease the pressure on my parents. Mother in law is insisting on giving her chocolate against our express wishes and I am struggling to deal with that.
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby Ali70 » 06 Feb 2015, 11:48

After failing many times to get through to mil on this, I've found asking them why to be the best route.

Why wouldn't you want her to graze on raw food if that's what she enjoys?
Why would you want to give her unhealthy food like chocolate when she is happy with fruit?
Why don't you want her to eat a healthy diet?

I've found turning it back on them generally shuts them up and stumps them. I'd much rather have a sensible discussion about it but as she doesn't listen to a word I say on the matter, the questions at least put a stop to the nagging.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Return to Toddler Led Eating