needing iron

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

needing iron

Postby sdcrawfsis » 09 Dec 2014, 00:18

We had our 15mth chkup and our l/o is needing to boost his iron level. He eats pretty good. Although he still has a little trouble chewing meats. If anyone has some easy recipes for some tender beef I would love to try. Or maybe some great bean dinners too. I am a beginning cook and don't have much kitchen experience. The easier the better. Also i work nights so i only have a couple hours to get dinner on the table. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
sdcrawfsis

Re: needing iron

Postby ToothFairy » 09 Dec 2014, 07:11

There are other sources of iron besides meat. Try giving him dried apricots to snack on, or houmous. Neither of those need cooking.

Your post had to be approved because you used the K word, you know, the room where you cook!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby Maybe tonight » 09 Dec 2014, 09:30

Out of curiosity, how was his iron checked? I have been told we can only check with a blood test. How about tahini on toast? Or open a tin of beans; cannelleni, butter, chickpeas.. Anything really, they are a tasty snack for little ones. Vege burgers with beetroot and lentils keep well and can be made into little balls and bars. Checkout vegetarian sites for recipes.
Lovely boy born June 2012
Maybe tonight

Postby Treeb » 09 Dec 2014, 10:46

If you do want to go the beef route, my lo loves anything done with ground beef: seasoned taco meat, meaty sauce for pasta, meatballs, hamburgers, etc.

Having dairy foods in the same meal with your iron rich foods can get in the way of iron absorption. Having something with vitamin C (citrus and some other fruits and veg are good sources) in the same meal can help boost how much is absorbed.

Did the doctor not prescribe an iron supplement? This makes me think that he must be just a bit on the low side, not super deficient.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby somerandomchick » 09 Dec 2014, 18:24

We made Ros meatballs early on which were a big hit. I made a big batch, we had some for dinner, and then I froze them without the sauce (they don't all freeze together without sauce) so we could pull a few out for a quick meal for DD. That was back in the days when a meatball or two was dinner though!

Tomatoes are a source of vitamin C (which helps with iron absorption) too so meatballs with marinara sauce are perfect!
somerandomchick

Postby Sandytoes » 09 Dec 2014, 20:46

Cooking in a cast iron pan can also help with iron levels.
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Postby StJuniper » 11 Dec 2014, 03:58

Sandytoes wrote:Cooking in a cast iron pan can also help with iron levels.

Sort of off-topic, but I've been wondering lately if one of the upsides to our iron-rich well water might be that I don't have to worry about the kids' iron levels. Anyone know? It would make the constant red ring in the toilet bowl less galling...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Treeb » 11 Dec 2014, 13:18

We had very high-iron well water growing up StJ, but I have no idea if your body absorbs the iron!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Sandytoes » 11 Dec 2014, 21:35

Even more off topic, but I have been wondering the same thing about our water here, which is high in calcium. My allergist wants me to take a calcium supplement but I'm not convinced I'm deficient because there is so much in the water. Does anyone know anything about this?
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Postby sdcrawfsis » 20 Feb 2015, 14:12

Thanks everyone for the replies great ideas..He had a Venus test done which is a blood test and yes it was just a little low he did suggest we use an iron supplement but since it wasn't major issue we decided to try an boost it with food. He does have milk with every meal i did not know about the calcuim so we will be doing water every now and again. But now the little booger has some molars and chewing u meat is not that much of an issue.
sdcrawfsis

Return to Toddler Led Eating