Toddlers and salt

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Toddlers and salt

Postby GHJingle » 16 Mar 2014, 09:28

A is 22 months. Since my parents came to stay in Feb she insists on having Papa's cereal for breakfast. I used to ensure a different breakfast each morning, but now it's cereal (sultana bran) and marmite on toast (from my plate), she's eating less cheese than she used to, and I don't cook with salt, but I've realized that I'm less observant about what salt she she has eaten.
Also she seems less regular than usual, she eats a reasonably varied diet with lots of fruit and veg, but probably more bread than she should.
How much salt should a nearly 2 yo have?
A (May 2012), B (Feb 2016)
GHJingle

Re: Toddlers and salt

Postby RJandA » 16 Mar 2014, 09:59

For a 2 year old isn't it 2g a day max?

If it was me I would monitor it for a few days to see if she's regularly going over. Don't forget to include milk, cow's milk is actually reasonably salty.

Then if I wanted to cut down, I might change my own breakfast habits so she's not having marmite on toast every day, or get papa to switch cereals, or maybe say it's only for weekends? Or try to do microwave jacket potatoes for lunch instead of sandwiches more often.

I do struggle with too much bread though, it's just so easy. I got a bread maker second hand on eBay and it's been great, you can make it with little or no salt (some people say the bread doesn't rise if you use no salt but I've never had a problem). Big A definitely prefers shop bought bread now (grrrrr) but Li'l A is still happy enough with homemade.

HTH.
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Postby StJuniper » 16 Mar 2014, 10:33

I always worry about P's salt intake because a) DH will let him eat chips (crisps) whenever he has them, which is every day, and b) I've been using a lot more boughten stuff since I was pregnant with R. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel there, he's settled into a schedule and sleeping 6 hours overnight now so I have more energy, but the discussions about kidney failure on the other thread really scare me :(

Most of the food I buy has sodium in mg. How do I convert that for his 2g allowance?
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby RJandA » 16 Mar 2014, 11:36

Sodium x 2.5 = salt.

1g = 1,000 mg.

So if it's sodium in mg then do x2.5 then divide by 1,000 to get salt in g.
RJandA

Postby RJandA » 16 Mar 2014, 11:37

Or alternatively a 2g salt allowance is the same as a 800mg sodium allowance, might be easier to work with if all your labels are sodium!
RJandA

Postby FestiveTidings » 16 Mar 2014, 12:35

Bran has lots of fibre, but I believe that can bung you up too. Perhaps reduce her portion size of cereal and only put marmite on half a slice of bread.

It is easy to lose track of salt content when the limit increases, I just try and reduce the amount of processed food available - so for example, a small bowl of Cheerios for breakfast alongside a fruit plate. Quite often only half the Cheerios are eaten but the fruit plate is demolished. I figure if the diet it rich in natural foods such as fruit & veg then having toast and marmite for breakfast every day won't have such an effect.

StJ, please don't let the other thread scare you. That was exceptional circumstances and although heartbreaking a baby died, that won't happen to P. For one, his salt allowance is higher now that he is older and secondly you are aware of it. I'm sure once R is a little less dependent you will get back to your old way of cooking. Even if you don't, it's fine. I'm pretty certain you all have a pretty healthy diet!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby GHJingle » 17 Mar 2014, 09:04

It was the other thread that scared me too!! I've been having honey on toast this week so giving her sugar instead of salt ;).
If the chooks would lay where I could find the eggs we'd have scrambled eggs instead!!
GHJingle

Postby Biddy » 17 Mar 2014, 09:12

I've been scared by the other thread too! It's good though as it's made me realise the girls are probably eating far too much salt. So lately I've been much more careful about adding salt to food and how much bread they eat. I still think they're probably getting too much though :(
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby AngelofTroy » 19 Mar 2014, 22:36

Would she enjoy whole nut butters? My LO love peanut butter on toast and ours is nothing but crushed pure peanuts.
AngelofTroy

Postby GHJingle » 20 Mar 2014, 08:24

I'm allergic to nuts, so I haven't tried them with her yet. I can't do it myself as her having nut breath/nut fingers etc will set me off, but I'm too much of a woss to let DH do it without me there.....
GHJingle

Return to Toddler Led Eating