Throwing food but not attention-seeking?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Throwing food but not attention-seeking?

Postby Hayzlenutt » 03 Mar 2014, 05:39

Hi All,

Danger Mouse has taken ages to actually swallow food and eat a decent amount. She only started swallowing at Xmas when she was 12 months.

However she is still "tossing" food. "Tossing" is the most accurate description, and she is "tossing food aside" without looking where is is going rather than "throwing it at" something. And it doesn't seem to be attention seeking, she doesn't look at me. And there is no rhyme or reason to what she tosses and what she doesn't: She starts tossing as soon as the bowl is put in front of her and she'll toss one piece of meat only to pick up the next piece and put it in her mouth. Or bite off a piece, toss the rest then pick up another piece of the exact same thing. Half her food ends up on the floor at every meal and I am getting really fed up with cleaning that patch of floor several times a day, every day.

When will she grow out of this? How should I handle it? If I never picked up the food and gave it back to her she wouldn't give two figs, but we'd waste a lot more food. And what's the point of ignoring it if she doesn't do it for attention? And how do I reward good behaviour when it only happens 1% of the time and she's tossed something else on the floor before I can react with praise? When will this end?!?!
Hayzlenutt
Mum to Dangermouse born December 2012 and Little Man born November 2015
Hayzlenutt

Re: Throwing food but not attention-seeking?

Postby FestiveTidings » 03 Mar 2014, 06:31

I wish I could answer the when will it end question but the truth is, it's when she's ready! This is completely normal and probably the most irritating bit of BLW (especially when you have a dog to fight to retrieve the scraps!)

You've possibly already tried this, but I would start picking up the food she has thrown and putting it to the side. Don't give it back until she's either cleared her tray or eaten what's on it. It could be her tray has too much on it and it's her way of controlling her portion size? My son used to so the arm sweep and completely clear his tray if I overloaded it.

Either way, I just thanked my lucky stars it was mostly food I could pick up and not puree that was being thrown about!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby GHJingle » 03 Mar 2014, 07:07

I agree with FT, she'll stop tossing when she's ready. In the meantime, I would try hard not to react when she does toss, just calmly pick it up, and give her praise when she doesn't do it.

We have chickens, that seriously helps with my annoyance of wasted food.
A (May 2012), B (Feb 2016)
GHJingle

Postby TPM » 03 Mar 2014, 08:12

You could try not giving her a whole bowl full of food to begin with? Have the bowl out of reach and select a couple of bits to put in front of her, and restock when it's gone. And as others said don't pick them up immediately, wait til she wants more maybe? It is a pita phase but you really won't be doing it forever even though it feels like it now!
DD1 05/08, DD2 01/10 & DD3 04/12
TPM

Postby Hayzlenutt » 03 Mar 2014, 11:34

Thanks ladies!

Does anyone have an age range that this behaviour continues? I find it so much easier to get through stuff if I have an end point to focus on.
Hayzlenutt
Hayzlenutt

Postby Fish&Chips » 03 Mar 2014, 11:58

TPM wrote:You could try not giving her a whole bowl full of food to begin with? Have the bowl out of reach and select a couple of bits to put in front of her, and restock when it's gone.

Absolutely this!

C was and still is throwing food at nearly 15 months. We found only giving him one piece of each food, or sometimes literally only one piece at the time worked. It seems to be getting better now and we could actually introduce a bowl with food (when previously the bowl would be thrown too). He will now throw foods he doesn't like/want to try/ doesn't fancy that day etc... and will happily eat stuff he knows he likes.
Sadly that means his meals are still pretty much 'de-constructed' and to keep in real spirit of BLW I would only have to cook dishes that have meat,veg and potatoes/pasta all cooked separately so I can take bits out for C. Otherwise if I'd give him say...chicken risotto -it would all be thrown if he doesn't fancy the chicken (he is not too bothered about meat)... So it's a lot of roast dinners here for a while now, alternatively I cook separately for C which also happens...

Sorry, not much help here but do try to reduce amount you give to your LO at one time and see if that helps.
Good luck!
Mummy to gorgeous boy since Dec 2012
Fish&Chips

Postby StJuniper » 03 Mar 2014, 12:41

For a slightly different opinion, I would intercept P mid-throw and then praise him to the skies for "passing" me things he didn't want. Once he began to catch on, if he did throw something I'd say nonchalantly, "Pass it to Mummy if you don't want it," and I never stopped making a big fuss over him if he did pass me something. This would obviously depend on your child's (P loves doing things the right way) but it's been over a year since he's thrown food.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Hayzlenutt » 03 Mar 2014, 13:13

Thanks Magdalena.

Ha ha SJ, that's an outside the box solution! I'll give that a try as well, though quick reflexes will be required! It could backfire though as she might pass me all her food ... she actually already holds food out to me for me to eat and I usually have to keep repeating, "no thank you, that's your food, mummy has her own food". Not sure if she's come up with that on her own, or if it's because daycare are holding food out to her (I haven't fussed about BLW at daycare because I'd rather that she ate as much as possible there because she has refused bottled EBM).
Hayzlenutt
Hayzlenutt

Return to Toddler Led Eating