How long does the windscreen wiper phase last?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

How long does the windscreen wiper phase last?

Postby raylis » 22 Oct 2007, 10:01

topic says it all...

i would think i'm considered an 'oldie' now that ds is nearly 10 months, and i had started BLW from 6.5 months.. (but i was really lazy at the beginning... :? ).. and ds is STILL swishing and swooshing his hands.. and when i haven't had enough sleep the night before, i'd get very annoyed... phew! what a load to clean...!

so, is it a passing phase, or a recurring one? any experiences to share? thank you!
raylis

Postby fibernie » 22 Oct 2007, 11:57

I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure DD didn't do it much past a year.
I used to have an Ikea shower curtain (99p) on the floor which got scraped clean then put in the washing machine!
fibernie

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 22 Oct 2007, 15:57

Whilst they are getting a reaction that hasn't got boring they'll do it.

Try ignoring it and taking him out of the room before cleaning up. It's frustrating but the best action is probably inaction, pretending nothing has happened.
Mum to:
Lily-Hope, 28-29/09/05 - 20 weeks
Tinker Belle, born 17/07/06 - 31 weeks
Fifi, born 02/01/09 - 35 weeks
TinkerbellesMum

Postby realsLINshady » 22 Oct 2007, 20:31

Oh - I so don't miss that phase. Small is nearly 15 months and it has been ages since she did this.

I think that introducing a plate actually helped to cut back on the Angry Arm Arc (can't remember who called it that but its the perfect description!). I don't even have to hold the edge anymore to prevent it being placed on her head like a beret!
realsLINshady

Postby Sheela » 22 Oct 2007, 21:48

Hari did so much windscreen wipering that I was at the end of my tether....and then one day about 3 weeks ago he stopped! I did introduce a bowl....and gave him cutlery to hold......although this has drawbacks as he now needs to 'feed' anyone who comes near the high chair.....but it's a lot less mess than the previous phase!

Ps....age wise....I think it was 3/4 weeks ago.....so around 11 months or thereabouts.....as he's one tomorrow!!! Gulp.

This time last year....I was in soooooo much PAIN!
Sheela
Sheela

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 22 Oct 2007, 23:27

LOL Sheela! Tink feeds the whole pub! I think I first posted about that when she was 10 months old, she started forcing food into my mouth - she nearly made me sick one time when she held a grape under my tongue, behind my teeth. Now she just holds her food up to everyone waiting for them to "eat" it (fish fingers today and I'm allergic to fish) and has started doing fake eating noises when she does so now! Fork means she can get to more people!
Mum to:
TinkerbellesMum

Postby raylis » 24 Oct 2007, 14:14

Ah, what a relief to know that it will pass...!

tinkerbellesmum, yes - inaction seems to be the best action (although i'm gritting my teeth every time he does it..)

Lin, you mentioned introducing a plate - at what age? did your lo not want to topple it or throw it?
raylis

Postby Mij » 24 Oct 2007, 14:18

Ahem, I thank you, and claim the Angry Arm Arc as mine <wafts around bowing graciously>

So the AAA, or windscreen wipering, still occasionally crops up with DD at 16mths, but it's rare. I think as pp said, being allowed her own bowl or plate helps, although as annoying behaviours go, the new 'I Will Relocate My Entire Dinner From The Plate To My Glass Of Water Pea By Pea' is vying for the number 1 spot.

IzzyMouse almost choked me just last night shoving 5 Insanely Expensive Organix biscuits in my mouth. Which I really object to cos I wouldn't spend that money on biscuits for me.
Everything is done by ordinary people
Mij

Postby AB&M » 24 Oct 2007, 14:25

OK I'm not an oldie but I'm peeking anyway :wink:

Isn't it funny that you spent all this time not feeding them and then they go and try to feed you??

This whole thread has really made me laugh and cheered me up when I really should be working!
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 24 Oct 2007, 14:44

Tell me about it! Where did she get the idea about feeding someone else? I've been so careful not to feed her, she doesn't have it if she can't do it herself.
Mum to:
TinkerbellesMum

Postby realsLINshady » 24 Oct 2007, 17:43

Mij - of course it was you! <slaps self in forehead>

Raylis - I've been doing the plate for quite a while - since about 11 months or so. For a long time I had to sit and hold one edge to stop it being flung or turned over but I haven't had to do that for ages now. (Small is 15 months). We have also been forking for a couple of months which also keeps her mind off wipering & toppling.

We are in the I Shall Now Re-Wash Each Of My Blueberries In My Water Cup As I Am Onto Your Slovenly Habits Mother phase. Tedious AND damp....
realsLINshady

Postby Magpie » 28 Oct 2007, 22:00

I was reading this thread last week thinking how glad I was that DS (1 year) was through this phase...but then the other day he discovered the joy of feeding his food to the cat. Which in turn seems to have reminded him how much fun it is to send his food flying.

Like others I found that what worked for us previously was giving him a plate. At least now food tends to get relocated from the plate to the table, rather than from the table to the floor. He does have a new thing though where he piles food on the lid of his cup. Not sure what that's about. He always looks a bit surprised when it falls off when he tries to have a drink.
Magpie

Postby Rach123 » 01 Nov 2007, 11:46

Ah the joys

Cheeky is still doing this at nearly 11 months, Aitch gave us some good advice that works well, don't put too much on the plate at once, it seems to lessen the desire
Rach123

Return to Toddler Led Eating