'Broken' foods

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

'Broken' foods

Postby Lily » 28 Feb 2014, 20:23

Lately, Izbiz has started getting really distressed if his food gets 'broken', for example if a piece of toast comes apart while he's eating it. I can't work out if he thinks he's done something wrong by breaking it (he is a natural rule-follower and gets v upset by any imagined transgressions), or if he thinks breaking the food somehow makes it bad to eat. Either way, he is inconsolable and will abandon perfectly good food which he was enjoying eating.

Anyone else had this? Any ideas for how to reassure him?
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Re: 'Broken' foods

Postby Sallie » 28 Feb 2014, 20:57

Oh dear, how difficult! If he has quite a strong sense of things being 'right' I guess he just feels it isn't right any more so he can't eat it? I'm not sure what would help him other than understanding from your example that it is fine to break food and to eat broken food. I wouldn't leap in to reassure him too strongly as in his mind it could confirm there is something worth worrying about, so I'd try and stay as calm and low key as possible whilst comforting him. What if he saw you eating it or 'breaking' your own food before eating it?
How is his communication? Can he explain to you what he thinks if you ask him?
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby PerpetualMadness » 28 Feb 2014, 20:59

Both of mine went through this as a phase about the same time they hit toddler OCD.
PerpetualMadness

Postby Lily » 28 Feb 2014, 21:09

Sallie wrote: I wouldn't leap in to reassure him too strongly as in his mind it could confirm there is something worth worrying about, so I'd try and stay as calm and low key as possible whilst comforting him. What if he saw you eating it or 'breaking' your own food before eating it?
How is his communication? Can he explain to you what he thinks if you ask him?

Not making a big deal of it sounds sensible - although not always easy in practice when he throws a back-arching wobbly in Costa Coffee... He doesn't seem bothered if my food is broken, and although his communication is pretty good for not-quite-2, he's not really articulate enough to explain the problem.

Glad to hear it's a common issue, PM. I guess perhaps we just wait it out. DH thinks it's like not wanting to eat foods that are touching, which I suppose is an OCD trait as well.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Treeb » 28 Feb 2014, 21:14

L gets a bit upset over it and tries to stick the pieces back together. I usually explain that it can't go back together, but it is fine because it would get broken by our teeth anyway and we can still eat it. Usually he gets over it pretty quickly and continues eating.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby mamapup » 28 Feb 2014, 21:36

My friend's daughter had a total meltdown in the park the other day because all the biscuits were broken at the corners. The Mum is totally assuming it's normal.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby eterna » 28 Feb 2014, 21:42

Yes we had this phase as well. It also applied to things like sandwiches or tacos; if the bread and fillings came apart or the hard shell taco cracked and meat fell out it was total life-ruining disaster!
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 28 Feb 2014, 22:29

Oh yes, and if you cut things "wrong". Or put them in the "wrong" plate/bowl/cup. All the while you never knew the "right" thing, so you can't fix it.
I'd forgotten about that.
Should be coming here soon...balls!
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby jvnt » 01 Mar 2014, 00:04

Turtle'sMammy wrote:Oh yes, and if you cut things "wrong". Or put them in the "wrong" plate/bowl/cup. All the while you never knew the "right" thing, so you can't fix it.
I'd forgotten about that.
Should be coming here soon...balls!

Yes.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby GHJingle » 01 Mar 2014, 09:17

mamapup wrote:My friend's daughter had a total meltdown in the park the other day because all the biscuits were broken at the corners. The Mum is totally assuming it's normal.

I vote normal, my sister used to refuse to eat broken biscuits ( a point that is brought up regularly even though she's now over 40!)
A (May 2012), B (Feb 2016)
GHJingle

Postby welovepresents » 01 Mar 2014, 13:48

Yup we had a phase of this - a banana breaking in half was near disaster and Dd also would get really distressed about things being cut in half . We went along with it as far as possible and now she's much better
Mother to squeezy little girl born Dec 2010 and now little DS born May 2013
welovepresents

Postby AngelofTroy » 01 Mar 2014, 22:08

We are going through this at the moment, but less extreme. LO actually breaks things on purpose but then panics and says "uh oh, broken" over and over! I just calmly repeat "oh is it broken? Never mind, it tastes the same" and that seems to work most of the time. Sometimes he takes a few minutes to get over it and spends ages trying to stick a banana/cracker/etc back together, hehe. He got very upset the other day when he couldn't get the stalk to reattach to his pear lol!
AngelofTroy

Return to Toddler Led Eating