Salt free butter substitute for baking?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: Salt free butter substitute for baking?

Postby AngelofTroy » 22 Feb 2014, 21:57

Wow what a lot of replies! Thank you all, I feel better about our butter consumption now!
AngelofTroy

Postby monkeydo » 22 Feb 2014, 22:55

J is dairy intolerant and I love coconut oil for baking (although it is pricey), it‘s a great way to get fats into him without using manufactured dairy free spreads (which we do use, but it annoys me). Or nut butters.
Mum to little man J born February 2012 and little lady R born July 2014
monkeydo

Postby Biddy » 23 Feb 2014, 09:13

Ooo never thought of using coconut oil for spreading, or mixing a regular oil with hard butter to make it speadable. Good ideas! I just struggle on with mashing bread with hard butter, duh.

Does spreadable butter have any added stuff?
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby oriel » 23 Feb 2014, 15:47

Spreadable butter is butter mixed with vegetable oil, I think?
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 23 Feb 2014, 17:26

Before DS we used butter for everything. Now we use oil for baking a lot of the time (certainly for muffins), or the dairy free spreads. I have a jar of coconut oil but haven't used it yet! I wouldn't spread a dairy free spread on bread though, it tastes terrible. DS gets nut butters on his toast, or jam.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby scotrail » 23 Feb 2014, 18:16

Aside from the health issue, different fats have different baking properties. Clearly, replacing butter, which is almost 100% (very lovely-tasting and natural) fat, with some sort of weird processed spread which might contain water, carbs and whatnot, will make a difference to the actual baking you do. Oils have different heating properties too, not everything goes with everything. Call me old-fashioned, but I want my baking to taste nice, and I'm not concerned with contents.. if I want something low-fat, I bake something that doesn't call for butter or oil, rather than replacing the fat with something leaner. Margerine is OK if you want your baking to be very light (the water in it does something to the rise), but really, for most things you can't beat butter.. mmmm... At a stretch I can use 70/30 spreads that are 70% butter and 30% oil.
scotrail

Postby Marrow » 23 Feb 2014, 18:47

If you do want something dairy free for baking that behaves the same way, hard vegetable fat (e.g. Stork in foil) does the job.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Biddy » 23 Feb 2014, 19:21

Yeah I've used trex for pastry, it makes good pastry actually! But doesn't have as nice a flavour as butter. It's pure vegetable fat with no nasties so it's a good substitute. Not sure I'd use it for cakes though.

I'd only ever use a substitute if I needed something to be dairy free. If I don't want something fattening then I guess it's best not to eat cakes and biccies :) I don't do low-fat! Unless it's that delicious sounding aubergine chocolate cake someone posted here before...
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby AngelofTroy » 23 Feb 2014, 21:36

It's mostly for savoury muffins, I make them for LO (and me!) all the time, he loves them, they're packed with veggies and make a very easy on the go lunch. I'm really terrible at actual cakes!
AngelofTroy

Postby AliB » 26 Feb 2014, 02:40

We use Pure (that's the brand) sunflower spread for my daughter as she is allergic to dairy. It seems fairly low in salt for a spread and tastes quite nice despite not being butter. I use butter on the rare occasions I bake - Christmas cake, which she happily grabbed and ate!
BabyB born Jan '13
AliB

Postby EnigmaFish » 04 Mar 2014, 00:32

It's interesting that no one has mentioned applesauce. I know it's not as common in the UK as it is in the States, but it works pretty well in baking as a fat substitute.
It doesn't help things rise though, so it's worthwhile reading up on how to use it properly. I use two-thirds applesauce to one-third butter. I also make sure I separate my eggs and beat the whites vigorously to help make up for the loss of rise.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby blackberrycrimble » 04 Mar 2014, 11:21

EnigmaFish wrote:It's interesting that no one has mentioned applesauce. I know it's not as common in the UK as it is in the States, but it works pretty well in baking as a fat substitute.
It doesn't help things rise though, so it's worthwhile reading up on how to use it properly. I use two-thirds applesauce to one-third butter. I also make sure I separate my eggs and beat the whites vigorously to help make up for the loss of rise.

It isn't just not common, I don't think you can actually buy it very easily!

I don't get how it works as a substitute though as I assume it has no/very little fat in it..
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby ToothFairy » 04 Mar 2014, 11:34

What is applesauce? Is it just like the apple sauce my Mum makes when she's having roast pork? I've often wondered.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby blackberrycrimble » 04 Mar 2014, 12:03

Yes. Apple purée basically. IMO yummy on pork, weird in baking!
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby RedRum » 04 Mar 2014, 12:38

blackberrycrimble wrote:
EnigmaFish wrote:It's interesting that no one has mentioned applesauce. I know it's not as common in the UK as it is in the States, but it works pretty well in baking as a fat substitute.

It isn't just not common, I don't think you can actually buy it very easily!

I don't get how it works as a substitute though as I assume it has no/very little fat in it..

You can buy it but by the (very small) jar to eat with pork :) I guess in practice you'd probably be better of making your own. I don't think it really replaces the fat in recipes as it doesn't behave in the same way, but it does replace some level of moistness etc that you would lose by just omitting fat.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

PreviousNext

Return to Toddler Led Eating