New allergy in toddlerhood?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

New allergy in toddlerhood?

Postby Fullaro » 18 Feb 2014, 16:58

Right so my little girl 2 and 1/2 has never been brilliant with veg as I've posted before but at least we'd cracked it with tomato based stews and pasta which she devoured no matter what veg was in there. This past week or so when we've had such tomato based food she has started scratching her hand and face it's gone red and looks itchy and she gets a little distressed bless her but she still insists on finishing what she's eating - about 10 minutes after it's all gone down and no lasting affects - I'm jus wondering whether this is a new tomato allergy? Can they start at this age despite her having no problem for so long? She also seems to have regressed slightly with how much mess she makes when eating as a lot gets smeared onto her face during meal times so not sure if this has anything to do with it- Anyway any advice greatly appreciated
Fullaro

Re: New allergy in toddlerhood?

Postby Treeb » 18 Feb 2014, 18:48

I don't have a lot of experience with allergy, but could it just be the acidity of the tomatoes? I know L's skin is sometimes a bit red and irritated from acidic foods, so maybe it is just because it is smeared all over her more it is bothering her skin more.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Fullaro » 18 Feb 2014, 21:12

Thanks I had thought that myself but think it was just how much she was scratching that was worrying me - I also have little experience with allergies - guess I'll just have to see how it goes and if it gets any worse.
Fullaro

Postby LittleBethlehem67 » 18 Feb 2014, 21:49

I'm fairly certain tomatos contain quite a lot of histamine which might be making her itchy without it being an actually allergy. N was sent home from nursery once with hives and a burning sensation to his hands when he'd eaten a lot of his dinner with his hands. All ingredients he'd had before and since and no other problems. I'd probably just keep an eye.
N May 2010 and R Aug 2012
LittleBethlehem67

Postby jvnt » 19 Feb 2014, 01:32

Interesting LB67, I went to an allergy talk recently and they likened histamine a to a glass of water - it's all fine until you have so much that it overflows and that's when you get the reaction. Apparently it's often the cause if unexplained hives or getting hives several hours after eating a food as most reactions occur within an hour.

On the OP I would suspect a skin reaction - maybe get some piriton in case she develops any sort of swelling reaction, better safe than sorry. I'd so leave tomatoes for a few weeks as sometimes that helps.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Fullaro » 24 Feb 2014, 22:09

Thanks for your replies have been trying to cut down on the tomato
Based foods although have found it Difficult to cut out completely but def seen
Less reaction - will just have to keep an eye- love the analogy likening histamine to
A glass of water perhaps that is what's happening - she's just had so much she's overflowing. Shame we all love morrocan stew and spag Bol so much will have to get the recipe book
Out to find some new recipes. Thanks once again
Fullaro

Return to Toddler Led Eating