Hiding vegetables

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Hiding vegetables

Postby kparker » 17 Feb 2014, 05:07

I'm just curious how you feel about hiding vegetables in foods. Someone gave me the book "Deceptively Delicious" and I have a friend who loves to hide pureed spinach, sweet potato, whatever into foods of all kinds. I'm not against that, really, but it seems like a lot more work to me than necessary. Also, since I skipped purees by doing BLW I don't really want to start now! However, we're at a picky stage (he's 16 months) where my son doesn't really want to eat vegetables all that often. I may grate some carrots into spaghetti sauce or hide lentils in blueberry muffins (not a veggie, but still sneaky) but I don't want to just hide veggies and puree stuff all that time. Just wondering about your thoughts. :)
kparker

Re: Hiding vegetables

Postby Brigitte » 17 Feb 2014, 05:27

Hey, if it's a good recipe and you would eat it yourself, I don't see why not!

I would still keep in the habit of offering recognizable vegetables alongside everything else, though, so that he has the opportunity to appreciate them like that some day too.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby pirate_han » 17 Feb 2014, 06:56

B has a few that she will eat most of the time - peas, sweetcorn, green beans - and I put veg in stuff that I would have anyway - spaghetti sauce, lasagne etc - but I wouldn't go to the extent of puréeing spinach specifically to add to a dish. Mostly because I can't be bothered. B eats fruit and I figure that helps in the limited veg times! :)
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby Sallie » 17 Feb 2014, 08:46

Every nowand then I do a blended pasta sauce that has spinach (defrosted frozen cubes), red pepper and tinned tomato (with garlic etc). It;s delicious and we all enjoy it. I think sone toddlers go through a stage where they don't like stews or sauces/curries to have lots of things in. My girl will eat raw veg if offered separately but doesn't like it all cooked together which is why I hide the variety in the pasta sauce. I've also tried mashing a bit of broccoli into pesto but she didn't like it. I don't think it;s harmful. I mean people eat pancakes and don't worry about eggs, flour and milk being hidden.... as long as it tastes good, they still get offered veg in their natural form at other times and you're not killing yourself to get it done then it's ok, but equally if they eat a balanced diet over time I don't think it's necessary.
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby StJuniper » 17 Feb 2014, 10:21

I wouldn't do it for a 16mo in a fussy stage. Watching P I have come to believe that when his body needs vegetables, he'll eat them. He's had two carb-monster fussy phases, but come out of them, and is currently quite into vegetables. Then again, as Brigette said, if it's a delicious recipe in its own right, if have no problem making it as a delicious recipe.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Gizmo » 17 Feb 2014, 11:33

I'm with SJ, kids go through phases. If they need them they'll eat them. Try changing up a bit how you serve them, mine have gone through definite phases of preferring them roasted, boiled, stir-fried and at the moment raw.
Gizmo

Postby Fish&Chips » 17 Feb 2014, 11:45

Brigitte wrote:Hey, if it's a good recipe and you would eat it yourself, I don't see why not!

I would still keep in the habit of offering recognizable vegetables alongside everything else, though, so that he has the opportunity to appreciate them like that some day too.

This!
The book sounds like it might actually have some 'delicious' recipes so I would be tempted to try them out anyway...
Mummy to gorgeous boy since Dec 2012
Fish&Chips

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 17 Feb 2014, 11:48

I do as Munchies fussy phase is 3 years and counting!!! She can't go that long eating only cucumber and the occasional tomato and carrot! I grate carrots and corgettes into spag bol.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Alstarofwonder » 17 Feb 2014, 12:09

HappyFeet wrote: I grate carrots and corgettes into spag bol.

I do this too, but not 'hide the veg' more to make the meat go further, so we get two meals for the price of one pack of mince.
Mum to E (squizzer) since 9/8/11 and R (monkey chops) 3/9/13
Alstarofwonder

Postby kparker » 18 Feb 2014, 05:53

Thanks for your ideas! I agree with pretty much all you said. I may make some of the yummy looking recipes sometime but I think right now I'm feeling to lazy to do it very often! I do a lot of cooking as it is and try to fill things with veggies. He does seem to be in a fussier stage right now where he'll spit out the chunks of carrot from a sauce, for example. I'll just keep offering and perhaps try one or two dishes a week with "hidden" veggies. I also agree it's important to offer "unhidden" veggies too. I'm sure this is just a phase! Thanks again for sharing.
kparker

Postby AngelofTroy » 21 Feb 2014, 13:22

I make sweetcorn muffins with blended veg regularly and these go down a treat. I love them myself but would never have thought of it before having LO (who's also 16 months). Tbh I find this particular recipe easier than normal baking, as the whole thing is made in the food processor, I don't even have to mix it! It's super quick and easily adaptable to include whatever veg we have in/whatever I think he might be lacking.

I see them as back up, I still offer veg with every meal, in all sorts of forms, but I feel a bit better knowing that he's definitely had a portion or 2 and it makes mealtimes more relaxed for both of us.
AngelofTroy

Postby Treeb » 21 Feb 2014, 14:11

AngelofTroy those muffins sound great - would you mind sharing the recipe? L and I both love muffins, but I need more "healthy" ones in my arsenal!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Treeb » 21 Feb 2014, 14:25

Oh, nevermind! I've just seen that you posted a link to them in another thread. :)
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby AngelofTroy » 21 Feb 2014, 15:47

Glad you found the link! I'll post it here anyway in case anyone else wants it:

www.taste.com.au/kitchen/recipes/cheese ... muffin,352
AngelofTroy

Return to Toddler Led Eating