Anyone made veggie bread?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Anyone made veggie bread?

Postby NorthernKitten » 02 Feb 2014, 13:24

So we're still in munchkin's bread/banana/beans/weetabix/breastmilk phase. Nothing else (and I mean NOTHING) is passing her lips (or rather, she'll put it in, but out it comes again with a very definite raspberry). We're offering balance and range at every meal, limiting snacks, and it's no go. Even nursery are resorting to making emergency sandwiches (which she eats the bread from) as a backup for when their lovingly prepared shepherd's pies etc. go on the floor!

I am trying to remain calm. I am trying to remain calm. I am trying to remain calm. (repeated ad infinitum since October...).

However, was wondering if anyone had taken advantage of their LO's obsession with bread, and added veggies to it? Have you tried it? Did your LO eat it? Is there any nutritional benefit whatsoever? Any other hints and tips for a LO with such a self-imposed restricted diet?
Mummy to a munchkin (Dec 12) and a mini munchkin (due Jan 15) and part-time teacher of teenaged terrors.
NorthernKitten

Re: Anyone made veggie bread?

Postby sparkling » 02 Feb 2014, 14:35

Bell has a pretty limited diet at the moment, in terms of both range and quantity, I'm assuming that she's probably getting most of what she needs from breastmilk, and that this phase won't last forever...

There's a few veggie muffin recipes around, I've never tried bread but could be worth a go. '
sparkling

Postby mamapup » 02 Feb 2014, 15:26

Juice? The puppy doesn't eat veg but will drink veg juice. We do spinach, apple and lime or orange and carrot. He helps with juicing and always asks if we can do it. It's a weekend treat here!

Other thing I've done is potato scones - sadly the most luck there was when I cut a few in to aeroplane shapes.
Will she eat noodles? The only time veg accidently goes in the puppy is when he's shovelling noodles in.

I'd say if you're still bf you've got less to worry about than you think though. Stay calm!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby NorthernKitten » 02 Feb 2014, 15:46

Veggie muffins used to go down well, hence the thought. :) may have some knocking about in back of freezer, come to think of it. Potato scones are occasionally tolerated - usually when served with beans!

Noodles - not likely. Twiddles them round her fingers with an expression of bewildered disgust!

Also won't touch juice, or soup. Veggies rejected whether toasted, roasted, boiled, mashed or sautéed! (Or even raw....)

Have even tried not offering her bread, in hope that she'll eat other things. She doesn't, and just ups boobie consumption!

I WILL keep calm and not panic...
Mummy to a munchkin (Dec 12) and a mini munchkin (due Jan 15) and part-time teacher of teenaged terrors.
NorthernKitten

Postby Treeb » 02 Feb 2014, 16:51

I've had carrot bread, zucchini bread, and pumpkin bread. Usually with plenty of added sugar but I'm sure healthier recipes exist. Pretty much any muffin recipe should be able to be made in a loaf pan. Not sure if she would reject quick breads like that though.

I've also seen both spinach and broccoli in "regular" bread with cheese. I imagine any shredded veggies could work. Try it and find out!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby BacktoSaz » 02 Feb 2014, 17:58

I'm a huge believer in frozen spinach which comes in small balls (you probably all know this already but it was a revelation to me!)....a small ball of spinach finds its way until all sorts of unlikely dishes, and rarely gets noticed!

I also often make waffles for weekend breakfasts and stick loads of veggies & fruit in them...the kids never notice or complain, even when they are slightly orange from all the carrot!
Mum to L - Nov 07 and J - Aug 09
BacktoSaz

Postby NorthernKitten » 02 Feb 2014, 18:38

Frozen spinach? Must explore frozen section more carefully!

What kind of waffles, saz? Are they easy?
NorthernKitten

Postby BacktoSaz » 02 Feb 2014, 20:13

Frozen spinach - I first came across it when we lived in Norway, so I specifically looked for it when we came here. Sainsbury's has it. It's fab because you can just use a ball at a time.

Norwegian waffles - but I have a waffle maker, which is a bit like a thin sandwich maker. They're super-easy - this weekend's batch had carrot and some old apples that needed eating (and flour, eggs, oatmilk, ground linseed/flax). A pretty good meal, and my kids think they're a special treat :D . This thread has made me think I should sneak some spinach into them next weekend. :D
Mum to L - Nov 07 and J - Aug 09
BacktoSaz

Postby LittleStar » 18 Feb 2014, 20:05

I second frozen spinach - I find a small quantity of melted cheese sticks it to pasta so might work spreading it onto bread? Beware though, you think 1 frozen cube isn't enough so use 2, but then you find spinach EVERYWHERE.....
LittleStar

Postby NorthernKitten » 19 Feb 2014, 19:29

Haven't yet managed to source the spinach, but grated carrot and sweet potato went down very well in good old fashioned white bread rolls. So we may be onto a winner.... Now just to persuade her to try whole meal!
NorthernKitten

Postby Kitcameron » 20 Feb 2014, 20:38

Asda sell frozen spinach.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby AngelofTroy » 21 Feb 2014, 08:25

I rave about these muffins to anyone who will listen! And I've added all sorts of veg at the food processor stage, spinach, red pepper, broccoli etc etc, they always go down well with LO!

www.taste.com.au/kitchen/recipes/cheese ... muffin,352
AngelofTroy

Return to Toddler Led Eating