When is food enough?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

When is food enough?

Postby keegobaby » 21 Jan 2014, 01:46

My son is almost 11 months...I had to stop BF at 10 months, so we started formula. My personal option is that formula is "poison" (that's probably a little harsh). I feel like I'm feeding him baby Ensure. If i could I would let him self wean , and Im super disappointed I can't. :( Anyway...my LO loves food, eats everything, and he is very healthy etc. If I were to stop formula now would that depriving him of nutrition he needs? What can he get from formula that he can't get from food? I'd rather add a multivitamin than give him formula...thats what my gut says anyway. Please point me in the right direction to finding these answers. Above all I want to do what is best for my son. :bsmile
Meg
keegobaby

Re: When is food enough?

Postby catkin » 21 Jan 2014, 02:16

Formula is basically cows milk plus vitamin/mineral supplements. But carefully balanced to make sure it has everything a baby needs. Nothing bad!
It's usually advised to keep giving formula till age 1 at least, then you can swap it for cows milk. (Or cheese, yoghurt or other calcium sources if preferred.) Being baby led round here, you might want to follow baby's lead as to whether he's happy to drop bottles straight away, or he prefers to phase out more gradually.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby keegobaby » 21 Jan 2014, 02:21

People have been telling me that cows milk isn't always next best too. He loves broccoli and spinach and yoghurt so I know he gets enough calcium...you know what I mean?
Meg
keegobaby

Postby catkin » 21 Jan 2014, 03:09

Some people have some odd theories about cows milk and other types of milk. Here's the NHS advice:
http://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/food-and ... tips/milk/
You could think of formula as being a vitamin supplement perfectly tailored to babies. Yes chances are they're close enough to 1 and eating well enough to do fine without but why gamble? Water as a main drink is empty of both calories and nutrients, cows milk as a main drink contains too much of some things and not enough of others, and I can't think of anything else I'd want to give as a main drink under 1.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby CherryPop » 21 Jan 2014, 09:02

In addition to the excellent points catkin makes about nutrition, there is plenty of comfort to be found in milk. My nearly-5yo still enjoys a cup of warm milk before bed. So do I (although I might put some hot chocolate in it!).

Formula isn't poison. People who tell you that it is (my favourite ridiculous comment was seeing cow's milk referred to, repeatedly, as 'cow pus') need a reality check. It's a specially-formulated, nutritionally-appropriate alternative to breastmilk. There are plenty of people here who formula feed, or mix-feed.

I think if I were you, I would have a look at my own feelings about formula and where they stem from, and try and rationalise those feelings, rather than worrying about cutting it out prematurely ;)
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby CherryPop » 21 Jan 2014, 09:02

In addition to the excellent points catkin makes about nutrition, there is plenty of comfort to be found in milk. My nearly-5yo still enjoys a cup of warm milk before bed. So do I (although I might put some hot chocolate in it!).

Formula isn't poison. People who tell you that it is (my favourite ridiculous comment was seeing cow's milk referred to, repeatedly, as 'cow pus') need a reality check. It's a specially-formulated, nutritionally-appropriate alternative to breastmilk. There are plenty of people here who formula feed, or mix-feed.

I think if I were you, I would have a look at my own feelings about formula and where they stem from, and try and rationalise those feelings, rather than worrying about cutting it out prematurely ;)
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby Eleanor » 21 Jan 2014, 13:37

If it helps, think of all the millions of people who've grown into healthy intelligent adults despite being formula-fed as babies... it didn't poison them! (And formula today is better than it was when we were babies.)
Eleanor

Postby issi » 21 Jan 2014, 13:50

Eleanor wrote:If it helps, think of all the millions of people who've grown into healthy intelligent adults despite being formula-fed as babies... it didn't poison them! (And formula today is better than it was when we were babies.)

<waves> :D
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby Daddy'sgirl » 21 Jan 2014, 14:05

Also, how about thinking of the 10 months that you succeeded to exclusively breastfeed and the good that has done, rather than dwelling on the 2 months of formula feeding that you are in the middle of.
DD Oct 11
Daddy'sgirl

Return to Toddler Led Eating