Juicing vegetables

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Juicing vegetables

Postby ladyPMD » 18 Jan 2014, 15:41

Is this a good idea?

My 17 month old lives off air and self weaned prematurely at 15 1/2 months :( . Pure BLW. Drinks are just water or milk. She used to eat some vegetables but now eats none, although we keep offering. (I'm assuming the occasional baked bean and sweetcorn don't count). She usually will eat fruit, although her tastes change frequently.

Is there any nutritional benefit from juicing vegetables and serving as a drink, always assuming she would take it? I worry that it would be taking a retrograde step towards all those pouches that we studiously avoided.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
ladyPMD

Re: Juicing vegetables

Postby StJuniper » 18 Jan 2014, 15:50

Smoothies with vegetables (mainly spinach or carrot) added are sometimes enjoyed here. It doesn't feel like a step back towards pouces to me because it was something is make myself before P was born-- not a special baby-can't-eat-what-adults-eat food, you know?
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby ladyPMD » 18 Jan 2014, 15:55

Do you make them with milk or yoghurt? I have never made a smoothie. The only juices I have made were pure vegetable or mix of vegetable and fruit (mostly carrot and apple).
ladyPMD

Postby StJuniper » 18 Jan 2014, 16:00

I usually use orange juice and coconut milk, some banana, and a random selection of whatever else is in the house. There are tons of green smoothie recipes online.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby eterna » 18 Jan 2014, 16:08

I just got a juicer for Christmas and I'm enjoying making fruit/veggie juices. My daughter will sometimes drink a little, but to be honest she doesn't really like juice anyways. DS seems to enjoy them though even though I'm still holding the cup for him.

I don't think it could hurt as long as you keep offering veggies, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it as a "supplement".

We make smoothies in the summer mostly with frozen fruit and yogurt, DD loves those and I also use them to make popsicles.
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby Gizmo » 18 Jan 2014, 17:56

I juice daily and there is huge nutritional benefit from juicing vegetables, however I wouldn't give them to the toddlers. I think it's too condensed iyswim, might just be the heavy duty green ones I make though. You have to be a little careful with some juices, root vegetables can cause a sugar spike and beetroot can make the heart race a bit, so be careful what you're doing. This link might help you http://www.juicingbook.com/vegetables it has the info on what nutrition vegetables have and also mentions things to watch out for.

You say her tastes change frequently so I would just keep offering a variety and eventually she'll start eating them, it's all just phases isn't it.

Have you tried raw? Mine won't eat cooked broccoli any more but give them raw and they chomp through loads. How about frozen peas? Also a favourite here.

I wouldn't worry about having weaned, mine were ff but gave milk up entirely at a year old and haven't touched it since. Just make sure you offer cheese/oat fingers made with milk/yoghurt etc. A child will not purposely starve themselves and they seem to know what they need so I've learned to trust them. Their tastes change so quickly.
Gizmo

Postby mamapup » 18 Jan 2014, 20:40

I juice for the puppy. He helps me do it so is also seeing that veg he won't eat are going in to the juicer. We do it once a week or so And he get half a small cup maybe. Today we did apple, lime, raw beetroot, pineapple : raw broccoli and cucumber. He loved it and asked for more. The only thing he eats on that list is apple. My dad liked it less than the puppy but we all had a cup together. It does make me feel a bit better since it is the only veg the puppy touches.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby ladyPMD » 19 Jan 2014, 13:39

Thanks for all your very helpful replies. That link is full of useful information. I didn't know there was so much to know about juicing! I think maybe I will try juicing for me and DH. If LO has any I will see it as a bonus.

I live in hope that if I keep offering vegetables she will eventually come round to eating some. I will try offering some raw ones as well just in case that helps. At the moment the chickens are doing very well out of the left overs.
ladyPMD

Postby SusanMcGee » 31 Aug 2016, 09:09

Here's my favorite vegetable juice recipe.In my previous post, I compared vegetable juicer recipes to store-bought juice. V8 is a popular brand and while not as good as juicing your own produce, it’s still one of the better options available at your grocery store. This recipe is a good way to duplicate it yourself.

2 tomatoes
1 carrot
1 celery stalk
2 leaves of lettuce
1 handful of spinach
1/2 handful of parsley

Veggie Kick Juicer Recipe

3 carrots
1 beet
1/2 inch fresh ginger
1/2 lemon
1 clove of garlic

Super Simple V8 Juice

3 carrots
1 tomato
handful of spinach

Body Cleansing Juicer Recipe

2 celery stalks
handful of kale
handful of spinach
handful of parsley
1 oz. wheatgrass juice

Green Hydrator

1 celery stalk
1 cucumber
1 green pepper
2 handfuls of spinach

Sweet Vegetable Juice Recipe

A little on the sweeter side, but not that bad in sugar content

3 carrots
2 red peppers
1 beet
SusanMcGee

Postby SusanMcGee » 05 Oct 2016, 10:47

Always, always include apple, carrots or pineapple, or preferably a combination of 2 or more of them, in any vegetable juice you make. Otherwise they are likely to taste disgusting.

I don't know why you're having this reaction, but juice can be rough on your stomach; I have a similar problem with some fruit juice especially if it includes berries , and sometimes with vegetable juices, particularly if taken on an empty stomach, I think perhaps hitting your stomach with what, after all, is part digested food can have an adverse effect.

I don't have that effect if I blend yogurt - vegan yogurt in my case as I'm vegan - with juice, although this is mainly only appropriate with fruit juices
SusanMcGee

Postby Gizmo » 06 Oct 2016, 11:24

SusanMcGee wrote:Always, always include apple, carrots or pineapple, or preferably a combination of 2 or more of them, in any vegetable juice you make. Otherwise they are likely to taste disgusting.

Sorry but you are talking bollocks, and I think you're a spammer.
Gizmo

Postby jessicah » 24 Aug 2017, 17:38

When my daughter was a baby she refused to eat vegetables! I started mixing them with a few fruits with the help of the Breville JE98XL Juice Fountain Plus. She didn't even notice and two years later I still sneak veggies into her morning juice. Give it a shot!
jessicah

Return to Toddler Led Eating