Anti-vegetables

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Anti-vegetables

Postby Pipplou » 12 Jan 2014, 21:52

Hello,

I've just joined so forgive me if this one has been done to death so to speak but it's very frustrating. I started BLW with high hopes, my now 16 month old demolished a diet any health food fanatic would be proud of but now he won't entertain a vegetable in any form. I mean, he must like something...tonight I roasted sweet potato, if he's on a carb mission surely that would satisfy. Nope, he appeared to be swallowing whole the tiny morsels of roast beef I'd lovingly carved for him in seconds and although the veg was drowned in the gravy from the meat he seemed to not be able to get enough of, on the floor the veg went. This has been going on since he was about 11 months old, I just can't fathom it. Even white potato seems to be falling out of favour. He does eat most fruit though. Any thoughts please?
Pipplou

Re: Anti-vegetables

Postby StJuniper » 12 Jan 2014, 23:51

Are you nursing? If so, a lot of the vitamins he might otherwise get from veg he'll get from milk so he'd be more likely to ignore vegetables.

I think of BLW in the long term. Every child goes through carby phases, living on air phases, breastmilk only please phases, etc. with BLW you give them the freedom to follow their body's cues, both for how much to eat, and what kinds of foods. I believe that long term, this will give my child a healthy relationship with food, even if his diet goes through phases I'm unlikely to brag about.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby mamapup » 13 Jan 2014, 08:00

19 month old.here barely ever touched a vegetable.
We tend to make a.juice once a.week. Yesterday my puppy downed a spinach and Apple.juice he helped.make. Earlier in the week he had carrot and orange. He'd not touch the actual veg.in any form.
Also, does.you child eat.fruit? We don't tend to worry because we have a fruit monster.
But I do think little.loosened proteins and carbs more.than they need vitamins s at this stage.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Brigitte » 13 Jan 2014, 08:09

My friend is a nutritionist and she says the difference between fruits and vegetables is blown out of proportion. Obviously a variety is best, but as long as you're eating lots from that food group, you'll be alright.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby Pipplou » 13 Jan 2014, 09:04

Phew! Thank you fellow members. He is indeed fond of most types of fruit and breast feeding first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I can relax now. (As an aside because I'm proud, he's just picked up the spoon and fed himself porridge for the first time). I suppose as much as the nutritional factor , I'm concerned about him developing long term fussy eating. It's most likely a phase, fingers crossed.
Pipplou

Postby Kitcameron » 25 Jan 2014, 12:11

I feel the same Pipplou. Dd is the same age and also refuses most veggies. She will eat Glamorgan sausages, probably due to the cheese content, but dh objects to them saying they stink lol. But she eats fruit so I try not to worry too much.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby oriel » 25 Jan 2014, 12:18

Meat has a lot of vitamins in it too, as do cheese and eggs. I wouldn't worry.
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Postby Biddy » 26 Jan 2014, 11:40

Both of my monsters rarely eat a vegetable, but they love fruit so I don't worry about it. I second the juicing idea too, DH makes nice smoothies in the blender and he'll often sneak in a carrot or two, some avocado... They always slurp them up happily. I've also found they'll eat some salad if I make a tasty dressing to put on it, I usually put some honey in the dressing which is why they like it I think.
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby Kitcameron » 26 Jan 2014, 16:51

I'm trying G in frozen peas ATM as a few people on here have said their kids eat frozen veg if not cooked or raw veg,as in its straight from the freezer. I think she's trying them at least. Not sure about eating them though
Kitcameron

Postby cia » 26 Jan 2014, 22:42

We're hit & miss with veg here, adores it one day, spits it right back at u the next! I find soups great for getting veg in & I now always add cartots, celery etc to bolognase etc....generally try to get as much veg into sauces if I'm cooking.
Other huge success I had last night was raw broccoli whizzed up with sun dried tomatoes & olive oil as a sauce for pasta....no cooking required & surprisingly tasty. I reckon she thought it was pesto so tucked in without hesitation. She couldn't get enough of it then even eating bits of the broccoli without the pasta. We'll see if it's still a hit when I try it again tomorrow!
My little poppet 22/09/12
cia

Postby Kitcameron » 27 Jan 2014, 15:11

Kitcameron wrote:I'm trying G in frozen peas ATM as a few people on here have said their kids eat frozen veg if not cooked or raw veg,as in its straight from the freezer. I think she's trying them at least. Not sure about eating them though

W'll she must have eaten some as it reappeared in her nappy at lunchtime today. Also had veggie soup for lunch and although she didn't eat all the chunky bits she ate most of the soup which I'm sure would have had lots of the goodies in.
Kitcameron

Return to Toddler Led Eating