oaty breakfasts and a bib refuser.

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

oaty breakfasts and a bib refuser.

Postby Disco » 09 Jan 2014, 08:35

Ooh a food post what a novelty!

A has started refusing bibs, ripping them off and such. But he hasn't yet mastered the art of food to mouth without spilling some on himself, especially at breakfast. We eat oats for breakfast, always. Either porridge, or raw oats with warm milk, and it gets everywhere. Covers the fron of his clothes/pyjamas and sticks to everything, then he runs about and smears sticky oats around the house and on me. Its doing my head in. Any suggestions?
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Re: oaty breakfasts and a bib refuser.

Postby Eriksmom » 09 Jan 2014, 08:42

I refuse to let Erik out of his chair before he's cleaned, especially after porridge (we eat it most mornings at the moment too). Erik has also started taking of his bib, and i'm thinking that i will put on a sweater i don't like that much :)
Eriksmom

Postby Marrow » 09 Jan 2014, 08:47

We used to leave the babygrow in the high chair. She's into shredded wheat with a fork at the moment - pretty contained!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby StJuniper » 09 Jan 2014, 09:38

FWIW even with a bib P's clothes are pretty much a write-off after eating oatmeal, even though most other meals he's neat enough to skip the bib now.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Disco » 09 Jan 2014, 09:50

I replied and it disappeared!

I forgot to mention heis alsorefusing the high chair. I guess he wants to be like his brother. the tray used to catch a lot of the oats too... PJs for breakfst is prabably the only solution... although its cold and he usully wears a hoodie or dressing gown - which mean they get the worst of the mess. Thats too much washing for my liking, I'mstruggling with that as it is!
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby CherryPop » 09 Jan 2014, 09:55

Disco wrote:I replied and it disappeared!

You used the k-word ;). I've deleted it now to prevent repetition x
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby meerkatsmum » 09 Jan 2014, 10:44

Options for eating porridge in this house:
1) sit in high chair and wear a bib
2) don't have porridge for breakfast

She wears her pj's at breakfast time, I wipe her hands and face with a wet face washer then she stands up in her high chair and I dust the droppings off her into the chair. Depending on how messy she was, I either strip her there or on her change table. Either way, I take her straight to her room to get dressed for the day. We only get 1-2 nights out of pj's but I'm okay with that.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby mamapup » 09 Jan 2014, 12:34

Exactly the same as MKM. I don't force a bib unless it's really vital. Pyjamas are worn for breakfast and maybe last one or two nights before needing washing. The puppy is a cereal man (except today where he mainly seemed to eat peanut butter out of the jar, blush) so it's not as disgusting as it might be. I figure it's easier to wash clothes than start every meal with a massive strop.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Fish&Chips » 09 Jan 2014, 13:23

C has lots of bibs he has tendency to take off, but I got some 10 bibs from ebay that have no velcro- just pull through the head (is that the way you'd put it? I'm polish and it sound not quite right...) Anyway, so those 10 he can't take off (yet?). That said no matter how hard I try his clothes always get covered- sleeves especially if noting else. Can't wait for summer- when he wears only nappy. (Hmm...I'm going to get him out of nappies this coming summer, that will be fun in highchair...)
Mummy to gorgeous boy since Dec 2012
Fish&Chips

Postby catkin » 09 Jan 2014, 14:09

Have you tried different types of bib? Hamster from an early age refused to wear cloth bibs, but is still fine with plastic/rubber pelican type bibs, so we go with that. Easier to wash, suits me! Oats will mostly flannel off anyway though, it's when they have weetabix you really need cover.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby busmother » 09 Jan 2014, 14:38

Cook your porridge for longer. We always had this (in fact still do) as the easiest breakfast to clean up as it's in clean lumps you can just pick up. You can always add more milk in your own and S's bowls to liquify it a bit. And dressing gowns / jumpers / anything that won't wash easily off for breakfast. But then I daresay it's quite a bit chillier where you are.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Return to Toddler Led Eating