Lunch/Sandwich ideas

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Lunch/Sandwich ideas

Postby Brigitte » 09 Jan 2014, 06:47

The way our daily routine goes, we usually eat lunch on the go in the stroller. Most often it involves one of three options: crackers and cheese, muffins, or peanut butter sandwiches. I'm a sandwich lover, but my two year old doesn't really eat sandwiches with too many loose objects inside (i.e. cucumber slices, deli meat, cheese slices, lettuce or sprouts). Even if she likes all the ingredients, she tends to pick out all the inside pieces and just eat the bread. Somehow the pieces irritate her. She does much better with peanut butter sandwiches and the occasional cream cheese sandwich because those involve a paste that sticks everything together and nothing can fall out. I try sticking sprouts into her cream cheese sandwiches, but she still gets frustrated when they don't cleanly bite off and dangle out of her mouth or the sandwich.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other "paste" sandwiches, or any other easy take-along lunch that conforms to my daughter's eating style?
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Re: Lunch/Sandwich ideas

Postby pirate_han » 09 Jan 2014, 06:57

Hummus and dippers? (carrot sticks etc)
Tuna mayo sandwich?
Egg mayo sandwich?
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby jvnt » 09 Jan 2014, 07:06

The boy is 4 and has never really eaten sandwiches - he can be persuaded to the occasional cheese or egg Mayo Sarnie but the 'nice' ones with lots of layers are a no go! I find he likes wraps a lot more and will eat a good mix of fillings from a wrap.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Den » 09 Jan 2014, 07:17

Confused by the idea of sprouts in a sandwich :D -took a while to realise the type you presumably mean :oops:

We also have a sandwich deconstructor and found veg sticks and dip was a popular choice. Also a pic n mix lunch with loads of random bits so some cucumber, celery or other veg , bits of cheese a couple of mini sausages, rice cakes mini bread sticks bits of fruit etc

Recently she also had a jam sandwich which obv sticks well!
Oatcakes
Pancakes or potato cakes also work we'll here as do savoury flaazpjacks
Den

Postby jvnt » 09 Jan 2014, 07:24

Den wrote:Confused by the idea of sprouts in a sandwich :D -took a while to realise the type you presumably mean

Yes! I was thinking that I probably wouldn't think much of a sprout sandwich either!
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Brigitte » 09 Jan 2014, 08:36

Is this sprout thing another UK/elsewhere English thing? I'm thinking of alfalfa sprouts, lentil sprouts, pea shoots, etc. Little light greens. What are you guys thinking of?
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby Eriksmom » 09 Jan 2014, 08:47

Brigitte wrote:Is this sprout thing another UK/elsewhere English thing? I'm thinking of alfalfa sprouts, lentil sprouts, pea shoots, etc. Little light greens. What are you guys thinking of?

I'm wondering too :)

How about mashed banana for sandwiches?
Or a pate?
Or tuna and mayo?
Eriksmom

Postby shye » 09 Jan 2014, 08:52

They're thinking of Brussels sprouts I imagine!
:D

Pâté? Someone I know blends tuna mayo with lemon juice and makes it into a paste.
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby Eriksmom » 09 Jan 2014, 08:55

shye wrote:They're thinking of Brussels sprouts I imagine!
:D

Pâté? Someone I know blends tuna mayo with lemon juice and makes it into a paste.

HAHA! :D wouldn't like a sandwich with Brussel sprouts!

Garlic is also really good with tuna mayo. And spring union.
Eriksmom

Postby mamapup » 09 Jan 2014, 12:38

Falafal, sausages, sausage roll, any other pasty type of thing. We don't tend to eat lunch on the go so that's all I've got, I'm afraid.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby DandelionFrosting » 09 Jan 2014, 14:57

Avocado! Mashed with a fork, with lemon juice and garlic if you're so inclined. Banana works pretty well, too. Not with garlic, though. You know what I mean. ;)
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby eterna » 09 Jan 2014, 17:16

My daughter likes wraps a lot more than sandwiches. They can still be tricky but if you wrap it tightly with the bottom folded in first, it tends to hold all the bits inside (provided she doesn't tip it upside down!)
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby Gizmo » 09 Jan 2014, 18:49

Tortilla as a filling? Mine love that, it's just omelette sandwich really so you can chop anything small and put it in.
Gizmo

Postby kparker » 19 Jan 2014, 05:37

I was thinking "sprouts" must mean something dirty in British English! Ha! ;) No, brussel sprout sandwiches wouldn't be nice at all, but I figured she meant alfalfa sprouts. I just thought I'd say that I've started making bean dips/spreads, like a white bean and rosemary bean dip or just refried beans. They spread nicely on bread, tortilla or crackers and then other things can stick in there. We've also been making tuna salad and I've been thinking of trying egg salad.
kparker

Return to Toddler Led Eating