Have I sinned?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Have I sinned?

Postby Dulcie » 06 Jan 2014, 07:36

We had a big breakthrough last night! But I feel a bit guilty and wrong...

I did Arthur roast lamb, potato wedges, carrots and spring greens for supper. The veg was steamed and do attempt to disguise it. As predicted, he ate all the lamb and wedges, had 2nd helpings then said he was finished. As usual, he hadn't even tasted the veg, it was still in the same position i left it on his plate. I then did a really bad thing...I gave him a dollop of ketchup and suggested he dip-dip his veg in it. He ate all his greens without hesitation, half the carrots and some cucumber sticks I'd frantically whipped up in the hope of cramming extra veg into this window of opportunity! This is the first time in his entire life (he's nearly two) that he's intentionally and knowingly eaten a piece of veg without it being hidden in something.

Have I done a bad thing? I know it's really salty and sugary but Is it wrong if I start letting him have ketchup with his meals, if it means he eats veg? Maybe I could let him have it for a week or so until he's used to the flavour and texture of the veg and then wean him off the ketchup? I could then even wean him onto humous or something as an alternative if he's desperate to dip-dip his veg?

Have I sinned or is this ok??

xxx
Dulcie

Re: Have I sinned?

Postby scotrail » 06 Jan 2014, 07:50

I think it depends on the rest of his diet. Our daughter hardly ever has sweets, bisquits etc (except at xmas.. Ahem) but a bit of ketchup is allowed for dinner if daddy is having some. Assuming someone else in the household is the reason it is available, denying the child ketchup would be a bit mean I think! Personally I love all kinds of condiments, and I don't think it's the same as hiding veg. You could always buy sugar free low salt ketchup if that aspect bothers you?
scotrail

Postby StJuniper » 06 Jan 2014, 09:38

Or even homemade...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Sallie » 06 Jan 2014, 09:44

Cobster has ketchup with certain foods. If you dont' want him to have it too often maybe you could do the same? You could just give it with Sunday roast and you know once a week he will eat some veg. I'm not sure you'll have much success weaning off it if he starts to have it really regularly. I would also try other dips as you said (if you haven't already). Even plain yoghurt sometimes works with crudites.
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby meerkatsmum » 06 Jan 2014, 12:13

My meerkat loves to dip! She's only just tried tomato sauce/ketchup and only because she finally noticed that we have it when we have BBQ sausages in bread. She gets the tiniest dollop, and she dips. It doesn't come out unless it's something you'd normally eat sauce with (so basically just sausages and hot chips if we have fish and chips). Although She doesn't dip her veg, just her meat because I guess that's what we do. She also likes dipping her meat into seeded mustard. I would stop the ketchup for the veggies now. I don't think weaning him off it later will work. I'd swap it for hummus straight away. Meerkat also likes to dip her veggie sticks into the dressing at the bottom of the salad bowl (olive oil and balsamic vinegar).

In saying that, it's not wrong. Of you're happy to have him eat ketchup then that's fine, but there are healthier alternatives that you could try if you wanted to. Good luck!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby MumtoMonsters » 06 Jan 2014, 12:24

Sounds like a genius plan - perfectly reasonable thing for anyone to eat.

As for habits, I wouldn't worry too much. It's only a habit that he hasn't been very interested in veg before which was why he wasn't keen on eating it now. For a while he may choose to dip his veg in ketchup. He may move onto mayo or anything else. He may then choose not to dip at all.

He is busy exploring foods and tastes and textures. He's happy. You're happy. And if you're concerned just think what a tiny percentage of his meal the ketchup was compared to all the lovely food he ate. It's no big deal.
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby Kanga » 06 Jan 2014, 12:26

My ds hasn't tried ketchup yet but has mayo to dip sometimes, or hummus. Recently we've given him a little puddle of gravy at the side of his roast dinner instead of pouring it over & that works for dipping too. I would definitely look at low sugar/salt versions or homemade if you can.

Here we only use ketchup for ketchup foods iyswim! Dd only has it for chips, cheese toasties, at a BBQ and on scrambled egg (cos dh does!) Her nanny though, will hardly eat a meal without it! Even tomatoey things like pizza/lasagne which I can't get my head around.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Dulcie » 06 Jan 2014, 13:15

Thanks guys, yes I think i'll try a few different dip options. He loves humous and taramasalata, his fave snack is rice cakes/oatcakes etc with "dip-dip" and has been know to gobble tzatziki in the past so I might rustle up a few homemade versions and see how we get on. If I nip the ketchup in the bud now, perhaps I can persuade him to branch out! I love dips but hate the acidic supermarket versions so maybe it's time to look up some more interesting dip recipes...getting peckish now! Will post some exciting dip recipes if they prove successful.
Dulcie

Postby Dulcie » 06 Jan 2014, 13:28

Cuminand butterbean humous, looks yummy but might be a little bit salty with the miso in it? http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/reci ... ixed-salad

Greek yoghurt, lemon and tahini: http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/reci ... tahini-dip

Broad bean humous. Out of season but might work with frozen broad beans? http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/reci ... ous-recipe

Homemade mayo - am preggers so technically shouldn't have it but I think if I use trusted eggs it should be ok. Salmonella is pretty much eradicated from UK flocks now anyway. http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/mayonnaise-3

Trip to the shops this avo for us I think!
Dulcie

Postby mamapup » 06 Jan 2014, 14:11

If the puppy would eat ketchup I'd let him dip veg in it in a flash! Sigh, ketchup offends him though.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 06 Jan 2014, 17:19

I remember DH's cousin ate ketchup with EVERYTHING. I used to think he was rediculous and how did his parents allow him to get away with it (especially well into his teens).

Right now, if it meant Munchie ate anything I put in front of her, I would let her swim in ketchup!!!!!

I know you've had issues with your LO eating so I say go for it. If you want, try making your own - I am doing so this evening. I made a veggie pasta sauce last night and thought I'd whizz up the leftovers. Then I know it's salt and sugar free. If it works (which it should as she likes it on pasta), then I'll start hiding more veggies in it!!!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Treeb » 06 Jan 2014, 18:58

Wish this would work with L! He loves sauces/dips of all kinds, but what he wants is just a puddle of it on his tray that he can lick off his fingers or dip food in and then lick it off. It doesn't convince him to actually eat any more of the food it is with!

Our policy is that if we are having ketchup/mustard/salad dressing/whatever he can have some too if he asks for it, but we don't give it to him if it's not a normal part of the meal.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Lucas_005 » 07 Jan 2014, 08:19

Nice post!
Lucas_005

Postby issi » 07 Jan 2014, 11:25

One of Snarfy's friends has a real ketchup problem. It seems to be getting better but it's been going on a long time. He wants loads of ketchup on everything. We're quite strict that you only have ketchup with certain things (really only with meals that have chips, although I like it on eggs too) which seems to have avoided this problem. I think you'd be better off only having the ketchup with certain foods, rather than hoping to wean him off it later. Good to see he likes other dips though - my 2 won't touch hoummus, the weirdos!
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby Dulcie » 07 Jan 2014, 19:35

Broadbean humous roundly rejected with an "are you trying to poison me?" face. Well I thought it was quite nice! Made it with frozen broad beans and it worked really well.

Tzatziki tomorrow...
Dulcie

Next

Return to Toddler Led Eating