11 months and no meat

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

11 months and no meat

Postby Emilia » 05 Jan 2014, 10:16

Hello,
I guess that as a mom of an 11-month old I shouldn't be posting here, but I'm hoping for an answer from more experienced parents. My son refuses to eat meat in any form and of any kind. I tried beef and chicken and turkey. I tried roasted (I specifically looked for recipes that make the meat very tender) and cooked, small pieces and big pieces. Nothing really works. The only time he tries a bit is when I give him minced beef in bolognese sauce, but I can't do it all the time (meatballs are not ok as well). I see that he has a problem with texture. Even when he puts a piece of meat in his mouth he spits it right back. I wouldn't be very bothered about it hadn't it been for iron. Is there anyone who could tell me that they've been through this and it gets better? Could it be becasue he has only 5 teeth? Or maybe you have some recipes that worked for you? I'll be greatful for some advice.
Emilia

Re: 11 months and no meat

Postby catkin » 05 Jan 2014, 11:11

Mouse was not keen on meat for ages, till he was about 3-4 I think. I think it's the texture he didn't like. He was just the same, he'd eat it in bolognese sauce, but that was about it. You could try chili con carne for a change? Sausages mouse was okay with when we started offering them, and chicken kiev. Processed stuff unfortunately, which we didn't have often specially when he was small. These days roast lamb is his favourite food so they do get there in the end!

I briefly worried about iron, but then noticed him alternating eating a mouthful of broccoli and a mouthful of fruit and thought actually he probably knew what he's doing. Dark green veg is a good iron source, and vit c helps iron absorption. Mouse was also having plenty of breastmilk still until he was over 2, which contains easily absorbed iron. Any bm/formula your son has will also help iron levels.

(Mind you at 11 months mouse didn't eat much of anything at all, it's still early days and you may not have nearly as long term a meat refuser as us!)
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby Cofa's Tree » 05 Jan 2014, 11:36

Similar story here - sausages are the only 'meat' that Daniel will reliably eat at 20 months. He'll put other meats into his mouth but then screws his face up and spits it out. I just assume he'll get into meat in his own time, and in fact last night he asked for and ate a small bit of steak off my plate so maybe things are changing...
Cofa's Tree

Postby mamapup » 05 Jan 2014, 11:44

Same here. The puppy is 18 months and only eats sausages and meatballs. Other meat looks interesting enough to be picked up but he won't actually eat it (nursery is another story, seems to eat any meat there). Oh, he ate half a beef burger last night, which was exciting.

We now eat more processed meat than I'd like but I think the iron content is important so just go with good quality sausages most of the time.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby jvnt » 05 Jan 2014, 11:47

Baby dragon didn't eat any form of meat until a few months ago - I just went with it, figured she knew what she needed. Eats vast quantities of broccoli though!
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Kitcameron » 05 Jan 2014, 12:51

Little G is the same. She eats mince in bolognese, meatball,a shepherds pie, burgers, she eats sausages and she eats fish fingers and chicken nuggets. Again, more processed food than I'd like but she doesn't eat much in the way of veg so I also worry about her iron intake and let her eat the meat she will.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Gizmo » 05 Jan 2014, 13:22

DS doesn't eat meat at all, his twin sister loves it however. He just either hands it back to us or passes it to his sister. Doesn't matter what format it's in he just won't touch it. They both eat a lot of fish though (at least 5-6 times a week). It doesn't bother me at all, different kids have different tastes.
Gizmo

Postby Emilia » 06 Jan 2014, 21:09

Thank you all for your replies! I feel much better knowing it's not that unusual:-)
Emilia

Postby Sallie » 06 Jan 2014, 21:51

Don't worry about it, there are lots of vegetarian babies in the world doing absolutely fine! When I worry about iron I make a pasta sauce, tomato based but add some of the frozen spinach blocks and a sliced red pepper then blend it all up into a smooth sauce. The vit c in the pepper helps the iron absorbtion, and it tastes lovely!
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby Kitcameron » 07 Jan 2014, 09:26

Ooh great idea Sallie, I wonder what G would eat this with as she doesn't eat pasta really, maybe as a soup with bread dippers
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Return to Toddler Led Eating