rules question

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: rules question

Postby issi » 05 Jan 2014, 22:24

madcatmummy wrote:Great that he did eat some of it, that's brilliant!! Sometimes the mind of a toddler is far too complex to try and understand - the squashed meatball must be avoided = case in point!!

Yup. Snarfy is only just beginning to accept that slices of carrot taste incredibly similar to sticks of carrot.
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Re: rules question

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 05 Jan 2014, 22:37

Sounds like Munchie and Puppy are two peas in a pod. There is no logic to what she will and won't eat. My bolognaise is EXACTLY the same as my meatballs - with the exception of the shape of the meat. She scoffs bog, will not touch meatballs!!! Very occasionally I can mush them up for her but sometimes even this doesn't work!!!

Like you say, put the food down and leave them to it. It's a hard lesson to learn (although it sounds sooooo easy - it soooooooo isn't sometimes!!!) but I think, after 3 years, I am there. On occasion, she doesn't even want pasta!

My general rule is - if it's something she likes and chooses not to eat it, then there is nothing else. If it's something she sometimes likes but doesn't want it (like a new food she's trying to get her head around - sausages are a good example - sometimes she will, sometimes she won't) then I offer fruit or yoghurt. If I'm doing something like spuds (which I KNOW she doesn't like) I'll do plain pasta alongside it. Again, fruit or yoghurt.

Breakfast is what she wants, lunch is something I know she likes, so if she doesn't eat supper, I don't sweat it.

Mamapupmas wrote:but other days, such as today, I feel it's wrong because they're firm favourites so a safety when he doesn't want to try.

This is exactly how DH sees it. I've stopped viewing it this way as they are healthy options, even if they are favourites.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating