Food strike with cold

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Food strike with cold

Postby Kitcameron » 21 Dec 2013, 17:41

Is this normal/ common?

Little G started with a cold on Thursday and since then she's been eating less and less. Today she's had barely anything, even though Ive given her cheese and yoghurt, her favourites. She's nibbled on them and tried to eat the cheese but just spat it back out again mostly. She's not drinking any more than usual either, in fact probably less, also a but worrying. I thought you were meant to eat and drink more when you had a cold.

I'm happy to trust that she'll eat and drink when she's feeling a bit better but just wondered how common this was. Think tomorrow I'll just put out a plate of random bits and pieces and let her nibble as and when she wants. I've been trying to watch for hunger cues today but she's not giving any. She's slept more than usual, which I expected, so that's good at least. We got a lovely lie in til 9.30!!!!! This morning.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: Food strike with cold

Postby FestiveTidings » 21 Dec 2013, 19:24

Totally normal - at least this is what roo does and to be honest I've never questioned it, just trusted he knows what he needs.

I imagine all the snot and mucus fills their tummy pretty quickly so they aren't actually hungry. Also I think having a cold changes the taste of foods so favourites always taste a bit strange (at least they do to me!). There is that old feed a cold starve a fever thing but I don't know if that's true or not. Roos appetite always wanes when he's poorly. We know he's getting better when he starts eating like a horse!

Snack plates with lots of fruit is usually what he survives on.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Lily » 21 Dec 2013, 19:42

Yes, Izbiz always does this too. I find he'll often eat more at breakfast, especially toast and fruit, and snacks during the day, but he doesn't even want to sit at the table for lunch or tea. And I try to avoid dairy products, though he loves cheese and yogurt too - I think they can make you feel even more snotty if you've got a cold.

I agree with FT about flavours changing. Having a blocked nose means you can't taste much, so food is less tempting. Strong, simple tastes can be more appealing. I know it's not ideal for LOs in normal circumstances, but if you're really worried then try offering a salty or sweet snack as she should be able to enjoy those more. Textures can be good too; crunchy things are still nice to eat even if they don't taste of much.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Kitcameron » 22 Dec 2013, 12:38

She's currently sort of munching on a raw carrot and had a crackerbread for brekkie. She won't entertain fruit at the minute but has had a gingerbread man and a piece of flapjack as well so not doing too badly I suppose.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Kitcameron

Postby ChristmasGift » 22 Dec 2013, 18:23

Same thing has occurred here a couple of times too. I know its really bad when she refuses banana and blueberries which are her absolute favourites. Normal services usually resumes after a few days - often with a massive appetite to make up for lost time!
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby Kitcameron » 22 Dec 2013, 20:42

She's been surviving on oat cakes today, and what I mentioned earlier. She's breathing better but sounds very fluidy. She keeps coughing up mucus but I can't persuade her to spit it out. She just swallows it again, urgh.
Kitcameron

Postby NorthernKitten » 26 Dec 2013, 19:27

Coughing will also probably make her throat sore, so she may be avoiding swallowing solids. Munchkin is doing the same and I hadn't thought about the sore throat until I had the same bug. :-(
Mummy to a munchkin (Dec 12) and a mini munchkin (due Jan 15) and part-time teacher of teenaged terrors.
NorthernKitten

Postby Zim_09 » 27 Dec 2013, 07:59

Nice post!
Zim_09

Postby Kitcameron » 30 Dec 2013, 10:23

Which one in particular Zim?

We have lots of lovely conversations on this forum, poo, vomit, mucous, puss, you name it, we've probably discussed it. :)

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy reading
Kitcameron

Return to Toddler Led Eating