Chocolate and other sugary snacks

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Chocolate and other sugary snacks

Postby ChristmasGift » 16 Dec 2013, 21:24

I've realised that among my group of Mummy friends I am the only one who doesn't let their LO have chocolate and sugary snacks. I just think that while she's still learning about food, there isn't any need for her to know about those things or fill up on food with no nutritional value. Am I being too uptight? I did let her try a bit of mince pie at the weekend but I think that's the only sweet thing (other than BM and fruit) she's ever had!
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Re: Chocolate and other sugary snacks

Postby PerpetualMadness » 16 Dec 2013, 21:26

Not silly, not crazy. I was like that first time around. It was impossible to achieve second time around (although I was still pretty strict until 1).
PerpetualMadness

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 16 Dec 2013, 21:35

Yup. What PM said. I still don't buy sugary "treat" food to eat at home. Pudding is fruit or yoghurt, current favourite is yoghurt tubes frozen so they become sort of icecream. I do buy puddings or sweet bakes when we're out and I will get ice cream in when my mum (an Icecream addict...) visits, but the only time TheWriggler has sweets is when he gets them in a party bag. And even then most are saved and doled out when he asks for them.

Beware the dried fruit snacks. I gave them because I thought the fruitiness made them more healthy. A dental nurse said she would prefer a child to have chocolate, because it's the same amount of sugar but less sticky so better for teeth. So now I give actual fruit when possible or stick to breadsticks/rice cakes as "easy to transport and eat on the go" food.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby mamapup » 16 Dec 2013, 21:38

I always figured if I ate it in front of the puppy then he could try it. Meant I tempered my eating but he did get to try more than I imagined hi might! No actual chocolate until well after his first.birthday and still no sweets but yes to cake (luckily he doesn't like chocolate cake) and the odd bit of.choc etc.and absolutely mince oies and Xmas pud.because they're amazing.

Ice cream is given sometimes, and dried fruit sometimes. Pudding is regularly yoghurt or.fruit though.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby KateGladTidings » 16 Dec 2013, 22:59

PasstheMulledwine wrote:Not silly, not crazy. I was like that first time around. It was impossible to achieve second time around (although I was still pretty strict until 1).

This! Remind me not to have frickin' advent calendars next year...they have caused nothing but grief!
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby Mummyto1 » 16 Dec 2013, 23:12

PasstheMulledwine wrote:Not silly, not crazy. I was like that first time around. It was impossible to achieve second time around (although I was still pretty strict until 1).

This. I know it's futile but I'm going to try harder third time round as my second child has a MUCH sweeter tooth than PFB and I feel guilty all the time that it's because she had many more opportunities to try sweet stuff from a young age. L didn't try chocolate til he was over two (and didn't like it at first). Sweets he only had after he was four. I don't keep either in the house but I don't prevent them having it if it's given to them when out at parties etc. I don't like to build them up to being 'treats' but it's impossible to avoid really.
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 16 Dec 2013, 23:19

Nope, not uptight at all. Both mine have very little in the way of sugary snacks. Only OJ or water, no sweets, very little chocolate. The only "regular" treat they have is ice cream - perhpas once a week, and those goodies oaty bites or similar if we are out and about. I have 1 rule that if I made it, they can eat it, because I know what's it in, so any cakes, mince pies etc, they can have. I'm not anti-sugar per se, but it's all the other crap that goes into snacky foods.

But don't compare yourself to others. Do whatever you want to do and what you think is right!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Treeb » 17 Dec 2013, 04:09

I go with the rule that if I am going to be eating it in front of him I have to be ok letting him try some (if he asks for a bite - if he doesn't ask for it I am happy for him to not have it.) That said, we hardly ever have sweets in the house. This time of year is a bit harder, but it tends to be all homemade cookies and such, not processed junk, so still a bit more ok in my book. When he does have it I also don't give him much. If I'm eating a cookie and he notices I may break a corner off and give it to him but then once it's gone it is gone. He loves hot cocoa, but is happy with a few tastes, etc.

I want him to have a good relationship with sweets and not feel they are "forbidden" since I feel like that can lead to bingeing on them later on when he gets more access. I'd rather him have a taste now and then and know that it is something yummy, but also learn that they are special treats to be had once in a while, not something we eat every day.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby pirate_han » 17 Dec 2013, 07:17

Treeb wrote:I want him to have a good relationship with sweets and not feel they are "forbidden" since I feel like that can lead to bingeing on them later on when he gets more access. I'd rather him have a taste now and then and know that it is something yummy, but also learn that they are special treats to be had once in a while, not something we eat every day.

This is how I look at it too. The chocolate stash in our house is hidden because it's mine. Ha! If we are out and there is chocolate then I have no problem with her having a bit, and she loves ice cream so she has a bit of that on the occasional meal out. We don't have it in the house often purely because the stuff that actually tastes nice is too expensive. She likes cake (mostly made at home by me) but generally will have a couple of bites and ask for some fruit or yoghurt. I don't think she has had sweets yet. But I would never (as my friends seem to do) pack a bag of chocolate buttons in my bag for a snack for her, I would pack fruit. Here chocolate and ice cream is fine as a treat but fruit is every day,
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby Jelly Belly » 17 Dec 2013, 08:26

Mummyto1 wrote:This. I know it's futile but I'm going to try harder third time round as my second child has a MUCH sweeter tooth than PFB and I feel guilty all the time that it's because she had many more opportunities to try sweet stuff from a young age.

The Chooby didn't get offered any sweets or chocolate until she was 18mths-2yrs. No such luck with Squirmy but it's The Chooby who has the sweet tooth. Squirmy will stop eating chocolate/sweets/cakes/biscuits when she's had enough while The Chooby wouldn't dream of leaving a single crumb (and will often polish of her sister's leftovers)!

Bam has already had a taste of mince pie and a bit of chocolate biscuit thanks to his sisters. Both homemade so I don't feel too bad about it.
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Return to Toddler Led Eating