A perfect BLW meal but...

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

A perfect BLW meal but...

Postby mamapup » 13 Dec 2013, 19:51

The puppy and I sat at the table for about ninety minutes for supper this evening. We were having such fun. We were laughing and playing and eating and it was all totally perfect and everything you'd hope a blw-ed toddler would manage. Except...I now know how they get kids to eat veg at his nursery. I served him peas in a separate bowl (so as not to offend him and also to see if he'd eat them on a spoon if they were like cereal). As soon as we sat down at the table he picked up a large spoonful and shoved it in my face going 'mmmm, nom nom' and other encouraging noises! I took the first couple of spoons offered and then said 'no thank you', which he did not accept and kept pushing and pushing. He certainly has not learned this behaviour at home so it must be nursery. Hmmmm.

Once I'd persuaded him to stop trying to shove peas in my face we had so much fun with them: he tried to feed them to his tummy through his belly button, learned about squishing them on the table and I may have (ahem) taught him to flick them. Whoops. Well, that'll teach nursery to force feed him peas - now he knows something else to do with them. The floor was covered but it was hilarious.

I also let him bash the table with his empty cup, much to his delight - I sometimes struggle with this. It doesn't hurt to let him do it and gives him such pleasure but I know other people don't want this behaviour in their houses. I guess he'll just have to learn that there are times and places for banging and for not banging.

Are others similarly relaxed about manners at this young age?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Re: A perfect BLW meal but...

Postby FestiveTidings » 13 Dec 2013, 20:18

Yup, totally relaxed. Doesn't help when his grandpa taught him to bang on the table while telling "where's my dinner!" from am early age.

Our table rules are:
No climbing on the table.
No putting food in anyone's drink
No feeding the dog
No throwing (food, cutlery, plates, whatever)
Sit properly
When you are done say "excuse me from the table"

That's probably stricter than I thought I was but we often have a laugh, especially with peas. If one falls off the plate it's usual to call out "(name) peed the table"!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby mamapup » 13 Dec 2013, 20:22

Like the peed on the table. The puppy has just discovered he can stand in his chair so we are trying to stop this one. His other new favourite is to put his feet on the table for me to nibble. Again, fine at home, not.so fine out.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby StJuniper » 13 Dec 2013, 20:40

DH is the worst at manners! He is always drumming on dishes, blowing bubbles in drinks, eating in wacky ways to make P laugh, and I'm just sitting there like, 'You know he's going to do this all the time everywhere now, right?' Our rules are probably about like FT's, although they're still a work in progress, esp 'sit properly' since P likes to sit sideways on the arms of his booster. And P just says 'Daddy, down?' when he is finished...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Kanga » 13 Dec 2013, 21:19

FestiveTidings wrote:
That's probably stricter than I thought I was but we often have a laugh, especially with peas. If one falls off the plate it's usual to call out "(name) peed the table"!

At the ils there are often calls of 'x peed on the floor' :) Childishly funny!!

Our rules are probably similar to ft too. Bit difficult at the moa ad d takes longer to eat so dh Is often singing or playing with ds but then when dd tries to join in she gets told off :?

Ds is too young to get the sitting properly thing really though & often has his feet out of his high chair on the table etc.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby ChristmasGift » 13 Dec 2013, 22:32

Very few rules here too. Would like a no getting down til everyone is finished but I can't get DH to oblige so no hope there. At the moment she takes longer than us so its not a problem.

She loves slamming her beaker down onto the table when she's finished. I don't let her keep doing it but I don't make a big deal of it.
Throwing food/cutlery is a no no but it does still happen if I am not quick enough to distract. If I am not here DH seems to let her (grrrr) so it's hard for her to understand. She is learning to either give me food or put it back on her plate though so I think it's slowly sinking in.

We also often have feet poking out onto the highchair tray. If she has bare feet she sometimes she tries to mush food between her toes.

She does try to spoon feed me sometimes and I know she's never been spoon fed (unless I need to have a word with my parents but I am pretty sure they wouldn't) so it doesn't necessarily mean nursery do?
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby meerkatsmum » 14 Dec 2013, 00:28

Our rules are similar to FT's but we also have knees down and no feet on the table. Those are usually only when she's inthe high chair. And she's not in it much these days. She kneels or sits on an adult sized chair. The rule then is she must sit on her knees or her bottom, no standing.

Another rule I have, is that she must wear a bib at dinner and breakfast (and lunch if its something messy/juicy). What age do you stop making them wear a bib? I could face the washing if she didn't wear her pelican bib.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby mamapup » 14 Dec 2013, 06:56

The puppy doesn't wear a bib often any more. It's not.a.fight I can be bothered with.and he's not really that messy any more. He has a Tripp trapp.a.d we have taken the baby bit.off so it's no longer a real.high chair, which we all love.

CG, pretty sure it must be nursery. I don't mind the spoon feeding me but this was forceful and accompanied by encouraging noises! It was really cute but obviously learned.

mamapup

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 14 Dec 2013, 08:15

We have no banging cutlery on glass table, no deliberately throwing food (although wouldn't make much difference to the clearing up process given how much is accidentally dropped!). He has learned to say very innocently "it was an accident" which is very cute :) but usually accompanied by cheeky grin. I would like to impose stay at the table till everyone's finished but not worth the battle at the moment. Also, we have no pudding until everyone finished main course.

I do try to differentiate between at home and out. So shouting / safe banging at home I ignore but in a cafe I explain that other people don't like so respectful not to do it.
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Return to Toddler Led Eating