This doesn't feel particularly healthy to me.

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: This doesn't feel particularly healthy to me.

Postby meerkatsmum » 09 Jan 2014, 10:55

I didn't realise this was an old post until I got to the last one. How's G's diet now?

Other than what others were saying, I just wanted to say that while I've been pregnant (the last 2 months anyway), Meerkat's diet has taken a bad turn. She's eaten way too much pizza (take away!) and not enough veg. I just found it really hard during the day and our family ate a lot of take away for dinner due to something out of our control. This from someone who was very strict about what my child ate! We're back on track now and I'm offering veg more often and we're eating better meals. So be kind to yourself, pregnant with a toddler is hard. Try and find easy and convenient food that's a bit healthier and you'll be right. Leftover dinner for lunch and cut up veg sticks at night when you're prepping a salad for the next day. Smoothies to get yoghurt into them.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby Kitcameron » 09 Jan 2014, 11:05

Think I might give smoothies a go.

She still doesn't eat much veg. She has quite a lot of Glamorgan sausages to get some veg into her and we're trying different soups. She had some butternut squash soup with bread the other day but wouldn't eat it off the spoon. Going to get her a doidy cup to see if she'll drink soup. I found some cauliflower bites in the freezer as well which she likes and I'm going g to putt I ago purée in our cheese toasties. We tried peas and soya beans the other day which she wouldn't eat and I've just ordered some baked beans to try her with. She sometimes chews on raw carrot sticks and she ate a stick of cucumber when my dad gave it to her but never when I've given it to her. So she is getting better slowly I think.

We ditched the packaged snacks and are trying to eat more fruit, although it's mainly apples and bananas ATM as other fruit that she eats is quite expensive. I do have mini flapjacks (Goodies I think) in the changing bag though in case of emergency. I should make my own really. It I think these would keep better.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby meerkatsmum » 09 Jan 2014, 12:01

Packaged stuff is good for the bottom of the nappy bag because it doesn't go bad and you can leave it there for emergencies. If you had to make it fresh, it wouldn't be so convenient!

M loves to dip her veg at the moment so we give her hummus or of it's dinner time and we're having salad, she dips it in the dressing at the bottom of the bowl. It's just balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

As for the apples and bananas, I prefer Meerkat to eat those! For some reason, they feel less sugary and also I think they're more filling than berries. Nectarines and pears are in season here though so she's big on those at the moment. A few months ago she also started eating frozen raspberries and frozen mango straight from the freezer. I feel like they're too much of a sugar rush so I try and get her to have yoghurt when she has those (she often dips the fruit in the yoghurt too!) Those fruits are expensive but buying them frozen is quite cheap. She loves fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries but cheap raspberries here are about $5 a punnet so it's just too much. Strawberries should be on sale soon so that will be nice!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby StJuniper » 09 Jan 2014, 12:31

AKingisComing wrote:I'm not following Lisa, which post was nice? I can never tell whether people are being sarcastic online.

Don't worry, it's a spammer. :)
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Kitcameron » 09 Jan 2014, 16:57

I did wonder.

I might give frozen fruit a try MKM. I also find berries too expensive and you make a good point about apples and banana being more filling. G hasn't taken to pears for some reason although maybe she would if I gave her them whole like apples, very drippy though and messy as she generally just wanders round with an apple.
Kitcameron

Postby Treeb » 09 Jan 2014, 18:33

L loves frozen fruit right now. Recently has been frozen apple slices and some chunks of melon I froze a while ago when he wasn't eating it. He also likes frozen peas but won't eat them cooked.

Smoothies are great, and you can even use them to sneak in a little veg! I usually do mostly fruit and yogurt, with a handful of lettuce or peas (I've done green bell pepper chunks too) and a handful of oats, and then whiz it all together with the immersion blender.

L seems to be getting a little more adventurous with veggies recently, trying beans, cooked carrots, lettuce, etc. but most of the time he will give it a bit of a chew and then spit it back out rather than swallow it.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby mamapup » 09 Jan 2014, 18:43

No veg here either, AKC. Mac and cheese with cauliflower pureed in to the cheese is about all we manage apart from the odd cucumber stick.
What about vege burgers? The puppy doesn't fall for that trick but maybe it's worth a go?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 09 Jan 2014, 18:59

Good plan MP, she likes burgers so hopefully veggie burgers too. She doesn't eat pasta thoug so no cauli mac and cheese for us, grrrr.
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 09 Jan 2014, 19:02

We have carrot and orange juice here and sometimes spinach and apple works too. That way I know some veg goes in even if it is juiced. If I make it myself then he's drinking it super fresh and it loses as little goodness as is possible.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating