This doesn't feel particularly healthy to me.

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

This doesn't feel particularly healthy to me.

Postby Kitcameron » 13 Dec 2013, 17:59

Hiya,

I was just wondering if I could run through little Gs eating habits and see what you think. I'm worried I'm feeding her too much rubbish and not enough good nutritious food as she isn't a it fan of dinner type meals.

So today she had:
Breakfast
2 crackerbread with butter
A handful of sultanas and dried cranberries
She sucked on a dried apricot

A Goodies gingerbread man for a snack

Lunch
2 fish fingers
1/2 a large banana
Small handful of Goodies cheese and herb puffs cos she was still asking for food and didn't want the rest of her banana.

A few Goodies alphabet biscuits for a snack

Dinner
2 chicken sticks in breadcrumbs
1/2 large banana
The end if daddy's chocolate biscuit (grrr)

She doesn't usually have both fish fingers and chicken sticks in the same day. Yesterday she had pizza for lunch, the day before scrambled eggs. She had sausages and Yorkshire pudding for tea yesterday and lasagne mince but not pasta on Wednesday. She doesn't really eat veggies or potatoes/ pasta / bread etc although she's always given what we're having but she does eat some fruit, she has dried fruit every day and I try to give her fresh fruit too. ATM she'll eat bananas, blueberries or kiwi fruit and probably things like raspberries or strawberries if I could afford to buy them regularly. She also gets quite a few of the Goodies range like cheesey puffs, fruit flapjack, the fruit gummy things which claim to be just fruit and their biscuits, but not loads per day.

How does this sound? Not very good I'm thinking. Any ideas on improving her diet for an exhausted pg mum to a chaotic toddler?
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: This doesn't feel particularly healthy to me.

Postby Spanner » 13 Dec 2013, 18:09

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on the goodies things. Generally they use fruit juice to sweeten which is still sugar. And the crisp things are probably not filling anyway. What about plain rice cakes instead? Or oatcakes are good and pretty nutritious. Would she eat houmous on them? I think things like fish fingers or pizza are ok depending on the ingredients but would also serve veg alongside. For breakfast mine used to like raisin or blueberry wheats as they are easy to pick up. I also spoonfed porridge and yoghurt. I would keep offering a healthy variety and not worry if they don't eat much!
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby PerpetualMadness » 13 Dec 2013, 18:20

I don't think it looks terrible but it seems quite low on veg if this is representative.

I try to offer colourful plates most of the time. Either raw (peppers, tomatoes cucumbers...) or cooked. Peas and sweet corn are easy if we're pushed for time. If it's being offered they at least have the option of a balanced diet iyswim.
PerpetualMadness

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 13 Dec 2013, 18:32

Agree with PP, drop the Goodies things, especially if you are saying you only buy raspberries if you can afford them. DS is the same age, he's allergic to dairy and egg otherwise cheese would feature more highly but he would typically get the following:
Breakfast: BM, banana, raisins, peanut butter on bread or ricecake (his sisters would have been having cereal at this age)
Midmorning snack: BM if at home, nursery gives soya milk to drink plus a variety of homebaked things like teacakes or savoury muffins (they are brilliant at making dairy free versions of everything), jam sandwiches. We sometimes offer fruit (dried or fresh) as snacks, should really be doing that more.
Lunch: Pasta and sauce or pitta bread and houmous or beans on toast. Sardines feature a lot for the calcium. Fruit for pudding. At nursery he would have a more substantial meal of a pasta bake or casserole followed by a classic stodgy pudding. If that's not suitable he gets a soya yoghurt.
Midafternoon snack: BM if at home, nursery would give a ham sandwich (or cheese for other kids), dairy free spread and toast, something savoury anyway plus soya milk again.
Tea: whatever we are eating, casserole, pasta, curry, soup and bread etc etc. Fruit for pudding or a little dairy free muffin if the girls are having birthday cake (a regular thing with school age kids with active social lives).
Bedtime: BM

His diet isn't perfect, we recently saw a dietician because of his allergies and I think we should probably be offering more milk substitutes to up the calcium in his diet. The rest of us get it thanks to our vast cheese consumption but there's no good substitute for that. The lack of eggs isn't a problem because we eat meat and he can have them in baked goods, I think he'll grow out of it at some point.

For your LO I'd offer a lot more savoury snacks like apple and cheese, or oatcakes and cheese or houmous and sticks of cucumber and carrot. And more veg at every meal, although LOs don't need as much as adults I think they do need to develop a taste for it. We get through vast quantities of frozen peas, beans and sweetcorn which are all really easy veg to serve. At this age I wouldn't stop offering anything, we have an 'everything goes on the plate' policy with the kids for all meals. They can eat what they want but for the older ones I'd expect everything to be tasted before they get seconds. OH, just remembered DD1 went though a fussy stage about fruit and veg in her second year. We started adding fat to everything in the form of cream or butter or greek yoghurt or icecream or cheese. She started tasting things again and now (at nearly 6) is fantastic at tasting new things.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby Lily » 13 Dec 2013, 18:41

I agree about offering veg even if it doesn't get eaten (which it generally doesn't here).

An easy, cheap snack option is crackers with cream cheese, hummus or nut butter. I get selection boxes of own-brand biscuits for cheese - Izbiz loves being allowed to choose.

Have you tried Bircher muesli for breakfast? You make it the night before, so it's brilliant when you're feeling rough in the morning.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Eleanor » 13 Dec 2013, 18:56

Tinned pears, peaches, apricots and mandarins are things I have found useful in those stages of life where you badly need shortcuts - just dishing them out is manageable on the days when you're too shattered to do the peeling & chopping, never mind shop for fresh stuff and then make sure it doesn't go off and get wasted!
Eleanor

Postby StJuniper » 13 Dec 2013, 19:00

P's meals are usually:

Breakfast: BM, followed by toast/scrambled egg/a piece of fruit, or oatmeal with banana.
Lunch: Sandwich with cheese/deli meat/spinach or lettuce, plus blueberries, Greek yogurt, and some kind of treat (banana bread, a bit of chocolate, can't refuse him when we're at my parents and everyone else is having...)
Snack: either a small bowl nonsugary cereal with raisins and milk, or a clementine or other piece of fruit.
Dinner: Whatever pasta/casserole/etc. we are having. Generally the carby bits get eaten, and the meat and vegetable bits get tasted but not much ingested.

Definitely I'd avoid preprepared snacks and aim for fresh vs dried fruit, which can be high sugar. I just recently discovered that P is really into frozen peas, although he's not bothered by them when cooked. He also likes wedges of tomato/slices of cucumber with a little salt and pepper on them. I try to buy about 3 different types of fruit each week, usually bananas and apples plus blueberries or pears right now, varies depending on what's in season.

HOWEVER. You're pregnant and in your first trimester. If a little preprepared junk is what it takes for you to cope, so be it. Sometimes that's all you have the energy for and that's okay if it's just for a trimester.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby CherryPop » 13 Dec 2013, 19:09

I'd definitely agree with the others about stopping the Goodies - for the same price they're costing you you could buy a pack of adult ricecakes, a pack of oatcakes, a pack of crackers, some cream cheese or houmous and plenty of fruit and veg. We always have those packs of microwavable veg in the freezer for emergency quick dinners - lots of them have 3 or 4 different veg in each pack so plenty to try. Frozen peas and tinned sweetcorn also feature highly, and we have baked beans once or twice a week.

For breakfast, we used to have a wide variety of stuff but we're reducing waste and saving money by just offering porridge or supermarket-own Shreddies now (plus yoghurt and fruit). Breakfast needs to be quick to get on with the school-run so it's much easier not having a fuss and a choice.

Lunch is whatever I fancy: cheese/beans on toast, boiled egg, sandwiches with cheese/houmous/ham/whatever, toasted sandwiches, tinned fish, ricecakes, scotch eggs etc. Fruit/raw veg like tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, carrot and yoghurt.

Dinner: anything goes. For all our sakes we instigated a breaded-something (chicken/fish/fishfingers) 'n chips/waffles only once every 4 days at the very most, as my eldest wants it every night and will eat little else.

We eat lots of Quorn though, as DH is veggie, which makes dinners a bit quicker and easier.

But what SJW said, don't worry about it too much when you're feeling crappy, just try and get through the day!
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby mamapup » 13 Dec 2013, 19:15

I'd cut the dried fruit and goodies snacks to not every day. They are firm favourites here but certainly not every day. The dentist specifically warns against too much dried fruit.
Today the puppy had:

Breakfast: three bowls of cereal (normally one has to be weetabix at least, usually two of them are), sharon fruit, milk, random piece of cheese and half a banana

Lunch: Little bit of bagel (plain but was offered bits with hummus and cream cheese too), a bite of pepper, a satsuma, banana and apple - this is far more fruit based than I'd have liked but we were at a friend's house and he didn't want any of the other stuff offered.

Snack (normally no snacks but he hadn't eaten lunch and was obviously hungry): goodies bar, cold sausage, cheese straw (yuck but Mr.C has them in the house and the puppy asked for one), satsuma

Supper: 1 fish finger, slice of toast, peas (none eaten but lots played with), cheese and a bite of raw carrot, yoghurt.

Yesterday he and I made carrot juice, which he guzzled - I sometimes think that's a good way to get good veg in to them even if it's not ideal. We also just use own brand rice cakes if we ever offer them (he's not a fan any more) and have a 'biscuit' box that is a collection of cheese biscuits that the puppy gets very excited over.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby ChristmasGift » 13 Dec 2013, 19:51

WTS^^

I always have a few bags of organix snacks in the changing bag but really only use them if I get caught out and there is nothing else. It's not that there is anything wrong with them particularly but I think they are expensive and have very little nutritional value. She loves fruit and we always have bananas but we're on a reasonably tight budget so when I am in the supermarket I see what reduced fruit there is. This week I found a pack of peaches at a bargain price so she's had a peach with her breakfast 3 days and they often have those lunchbox portions of melon or grapefruit for about 20p on their use by date.

Do keep trying with the bread (and other things that currently get rejected) though. My LO was not interested in bread at all until about 2 weeks ago and now she'll happily eat it.

A typical day for us:

Breakfast: Either mini shredded wheats, weetabix, pancakes (Sunday treat) usually with fruit (usually banana, blueberries, peach or melon).

Lunch: Ranges from: Omelette, Soup with bread, leftover pasta to an avocado with some breadsticks.

Dinner: Stews/ ratatouille/bean chilli with rice, cous cous or pasta, fish/fish fingers/roasted chicken/beef burger with veg and potato or pasta bolognaise.

Snacks here would either be a BF or a piece of fruit, breadsticks, cheese or occasionally a few raisins (maybe once or twice a week)
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby Kitcameron » 13 Dec 2013, 20:47

Thanks everyone, having read all your comments I've realised that giving you two days worth of food isn't really very indicative of what she actually eats. She does eat a fair amount of cheese and we do offer veg with every main meal she just doesn't eat it, usually fresh fruit with lunch and dried fruit with breakfast. I try to offer fruit as snacks rather than the Goodies/Organix products but sometimes I'm too lazy. She does also have oatcakes but for so e crazy reason seems to prefer them dry. She doesn't really get humous cos neither dh or I like it. I'm happy for her to have them dry though a it's much cleaner lol.

I guess I worry mostly about the lack of veg and the fact that most meat she eats is either fish fingers or chicken nuggety type things. She does eat sausages and mince though. I guess she doesn't do too badly really.
Kitcameron

Postby ladyPMD » 13 Dec 2013, 22:54

I have just read all this and now feel even worse about the extremely limited range and volume of food that my 16 month old eats. I would be totally thrilled if she actually ate a fish finger or anything that resembled a vegetable!
ladyPMD

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 14 Dec 2013, 15:49

ladyPMD wrote:I have just read all this and now feel even worse about the extremely limited range and volume of food that my 16 month old eats. I would be totally thrilled if she actually ate a fish finger or anything that resembled a vegetable!

You really shouldn't worry. As long as you keep offering a range of foods then eventually she will come round. This stage is a very fussy stage, try not to get too phased by it and long term things will get better.

And, for anecdotes sake, my brother ate 5 foods when he was about 4-5. He is now a great cook and not at all fussy, except about cheese which he still doesn't eat. But I think one thing is allowed to be off the menu!
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby Kitcameron » 15 Dec 2013, 17:47

Oh no lpmd, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. I'm sure they'll both pick up sometime and eat properly
Kitcameron

Postby Kitcameron » 09 Jan 2014, 09:03

I'm not following Lisa, which post was nice? I can never tell whether people are being sarcastic online.
Kitcameron

Next

Return to Toddler Led Eating