Is it really ok for them to miss meals (regularly) or HELP!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: Is it really ok for them to miss meals (regularly) or HE

Postby NorthernKitten » 08 Dec 2013, 07:26

Another fussy one here... From eating anything and everything at 9months, at very nearly 1 munchkin will eat bananas, breadsticks, some cereals, the occasional bowl of porridge, and that's it. Everything else is summarily dismissed. I worry about her lack of veggies, and complete and total refusal to eat meat (has never touched the stuff, despite being regularly offered).

Am hoping it's just a phase, but it's hard to relax. Especially when they're nearly 1, cows milk intolerant, and you're about to return to work!!
Mummy to a munchkin (Dec 12) and a mini munchkin (due Jan 15) and part-time teacher of teenaged terrors.
NorthernKitten

Postby StJuniper » 08 Dec 2013, 12:45

NorthernKitten wrote:Another fussy one here... From eating anything and everything at 9months, at very nearly 1 munchkin will eat bananas, breadsticks, some cereals, the occasional bowl of porridge, and that's it. Everything else is summarily dismissed. I worry about her lack of veggies, and complete and total refusal to eat meat (has never touched the stuff, despite being regularly offered).

Am hoping it's just a phase, but it's hard to relax. Especially when they're nearly 1, cows milk intolerant, and you're about to return to work!!

FWIW, around 1 many babies go through a major carb phase so it may not be time to call her "fussy" yet.

I was reading yesterday about how some people have a gene that makes turnips taste super bitter, and I've read similar in the past about cilantro. Got me thinking about how there are just some people with a legitimately harder time eating a variety than others. I have a friend who always thought she'd be a stickler for her kids eating what they are served, but she ended up with a daughter whose palate was so sensitive even stuff she liked sometimes made her throw up; any kind of pressure to eat food made her vomit (long before she was old enough for it to be psychological). I think there's room for a lot of leeway alongside encouraging trying new things and offering variety. I'm another one who was very fussy as a child (I famously refused to try ice cream) and although my parents eventually got fed up and started insisting I eat things, what changed for me was deciding I wanted to be adventurous as a teenager. Now you'd never know I was once fussy.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 08 Dec 2013, 22:57

StJuniperWreath wrote:I was reading yesterday about how some people have a gene that makes turnips taste super bitter, and I've read similar in the past about cilantro. Got me thinking about how there are just some people with a legitimately harder time eating a variety than others. I have a friend who always thought she'd be a stickler for her kids eating what they are served, but she ended up with a daughter whose palate was so sensitive even stuff she liked sometimes made her throw up; any kind of pressure to eat food made her vomit (long before she was old enough for it to be psychological). I think there's room for a lot of leeway alongside encouraging trying new things and offering variety. I'm another one who was very fussy as a child (I famously refused to try ice cream) and although my parents eventually got fed up and started insisting I eat things, what changed for me was deciding I wanted to be adventurous as a teenager. Now you'd never know I was once fussy.

I agree with you SJW. I think some people just like more foods than others. I never wanted to call my children "fussy" as I don't think it's fair on them if they just don't like certain foods. But the not trying is the bit that bugs me! Or the "you ate this last week, what's wrong with it this week"!!! That IS fussy!

I didn't eat a wide variety of foods as a youngster (don't know when it started - I come from the kind of "eat it or leave it" family) - the only vegetables I ate were potatoes and peas until I went to University! I now eat much better and much more widely but there are certain foods I just can't bring myself to eat!!!!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating