Requesting food then not eating it

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Requesting food then not eating it

Postby Alstarofwonder » 14 Nov 2013, 08:36

I am getting increasingly frustrated about this. She asks for specific things, e.g this morning it was a dippy egg (boiled egg and soldiers). She dipped one bit of toast and said she didn't want it. She will then say she wants something else. I'm trying to be calm about it, but I really don't know what to do and I'm fed up with the waste of it all, (the dog is quite happy though!)

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Tia
Mum to E (squizzer) since 9/8/11 and R (monkey chops) 3/9/13
Alstarofwonder

Re: Requesting food then not eating it

Postby GHJingle » 14 Nov 2013, 08:46

A does this too, I've no idea how I *should* deal with it, but I give her one other option and then say no more. If she's hungry she'd eat what's in front of her.
A (May 2012), B (Feb 2016)
GHJingle

Postby Gizmo » 14 Nov 2013, 09:39

I haven't had this problem as mine seem to be food hoovers, but I would definitely do what GHJ1 said. They are at the age now where they understand enough so would get that, like they know if they throw food then dinner is over for whichever one has thrown food, their tray is taken off and they have to sit in the highchair while the other one finishes. Happens very rarely now but they do understand.
Gizmo

Postby PerpetualMadness » 14 Nov 2013, 10:50

I take the approach that sometimes I fancy something until it's in front of me but the only alternative in my house is dry toast. If they ask for something and don't eat it, that's fine but the only alternative is bread/toast (no butter, or any kind of topping) until the next normal eating time (snack or meal). If it's something new or that I know they're not keen on that I have chosen to make they can have something else like a sandwich so long as they have tasted it (and assuming it's not part if that phase where they turn they nose up at everything you stick in front of them in which case it's bread/toast).

Food is not a battle in our house. They won't starve if they Miss a meal by choosing not to eat.
PerpetualMadness

Postby Alstarofwonder » 15 Nov 2013, 07:49

Thanks everyone. I do basically what GHJ1 says. I think it's often that she's not really hungry, just excited by the novelty of certain foods, yogurt in a tube is so thrilling! Maybe I should.only have boring food available!
Mum to E (squizzer) since 9/8/11 and R (monkey chops) 3/9/13
Alstarofwonder

Postby Badgerwife » 26 Nov 2013, 15:22

when i have this problem, I just leave the plate of whatever food within her reach. She will then dip in and out at various intervals throughout the morning. Generally by lunchtime, the plate will be clean. If not, it's part of lunch.
Mum to Little Girl born 23.07.11 and to Luciole 23.06.13
I blog at http://afrogatlarge.wordpress.com/
Badgerwife

Return to Toddler Led Eating