Vitamin worries

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Vitamin worries

Postby Fullaro » 06 Nov 2013, 18:49

Hi - my lo 2 yrs 3 months has recently stopped breast feeding (my decision) she's always been hit and miss with her eating - particularly vegetables (and more miss with these to be honest) anyway when she was breastfeeding I never really worried knew she'd make up for it with milk but now I can't help but worry. We're going through a particularly stubborn phase feel like she's not getting many vitamins with the variety of food she's eating. I have tried multivitamins but struggling to get her to take them . Any tips? Should I be worried?
Fullaro

Re: Vitamin worries

Postby A_W » 06 Nov 2013, 19:00

My little boy quite happily eats the A-Z multivitamins that boots do for children. They are for over 3 year olds but his dietician has approved them for us. I do break it in half so it's safer for him. What have you tried? The bassetts chewy ones most children like.
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby fourweewonders » 06 Nov 2013, 19:16

I started my dd1 on bassets soft and chewy vits at about 2 3/4 because she refused other forms of multi vits
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby RJandA » 06 Nov 2013, 19:21

Abidec syrup with omega 3 oil is popular here with my 3 year old.
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 06 Nov 2013, 22:13

We use WellKid syrup. Munchie was fine with it but Pickle was unimpressed. I mixed it in with her yogurt for a few weeks but now she'll take it off the spoon.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby DandelionFrosting » 07 Nov 2013, 03:47

Will she eat cereal? I know it's processed and whatnot, but it's also usually fortified with a ton of vitamins.
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby Fullaro » 07 Nov 2013, 18:08

Don't think my last Reply posted for some reason but thanks all for replies - yeah she does eat cereal so that good point I never thought of also may try the mixing with yoghurt idea tried that once before but with abidec drops which smell horrible so can't imagine they're good taste with yoghurt - also tried well kid . Boots own brand and abidec syrup to no avail but thanks again for tips.
Fullaro

Postby Kitcameron » 08 Nov 2013, 19:41

Does she eat fruit? Surely fruit provides quite a few bits and minerals, although of course not all and veg is also required. Little G is bad at eating veg as well, she'll eat sweet corn (yes I know, technically not a veg) but the only other things I can get her to eat are Glamorgan sausages (asda own brand, hopefully not too high salt but don't think I've actually checked) and I make my own cauliflower and broccoli cheese bites which she loves. And have no salt in apart from what's in the cheese. There's a recipe for them in the little grazers website. That website also has other cunning veggie recipes which may help
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 08 Nov 2013, 20:38

Today I juiced spinach, applies and lime. The puppy, who is a veg refuser at home, guzzled it. I know juice isn't the answer but I do feel he got some goodness out of drinking that much spinach even if it was all in the form of a green mustache!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby eve_1 » 21 Nov 2013, 02:54

Nice post !
eve_1

Postby LittleBethlehem67 » 21 Nov 2013, 19:48

kitcameron07 wrote:Little G is bad at eating veg as well, she'll eat sweet corn (yes I know, technically not a veg)

Why isn't sweetcorn technically a vegetable? ! <she says in a high and panicked voice>
N May 2010 and R Aug 2012
LittleBethlehem67

Postby oriel » 22 Nov 2013, 08:48

Sweetcorn is a grain, like wheat etc. It belongs in the carbohydrates section.

Don't forget that meat contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. If you can get some liver or kidneys down her so much the better. (Lightly fry some chicken livers and blend them, then stir them into a stew or bolognese right at the end, to give it richness and lots of vitamins!)
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Postby BLTMama » 22 Nov 2013, 17:56

If it helps, remember that "vegetable" doesn't really mean anything (other than 'plant'). Everything we think of as vegetables are also fruits or flowers or leaves or seeds or roots (i.e., parts of plants). All whole foods have vitamins -- not just 'vegetables'.

If you've only recently stopped breastfeeding, give her some time to get used to the new normal. AFAIK, there are no vitamins so urgently needed that she'll go into deficiency within a few weeks. I did the cold-turkey BF quit myself, so I also know that it throws your hormones all out of whack and can make you worry more than you might normally. Don't stress.

Personally I think it's better to just keep offering a variety of foods, modeling (so eat your vegetables, too! :D ) and being patient -- but then my daughter has always been happy to eat nearly anything I put in front of her (including any sort of revolting medicine or vitamin drop), so I realize it's easy for me to say.
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby LittleBethlehem67 » 22 Nov 2013, 20:22

oriel wrote:Sweetcorn is a grain, like wheat etc. It belongs in the carbohydrates section.

Dammit! Still good for you though right?! Just peas and tomatos on our 'veg child will reliably eat list' then. And I think tomatoes might be a fruit....
N May 2010 and R Aug 2012
LittleBethlehem67

Postby mamapup » 22 Nov 2013, 21:48

laurabeth67 wrote:
oriel wrote:Sweetcorn is a grain, like wheat etc. It belongs in the carbohydrates section.

Dammit! Still good for you though right?! Just peas and tomatos on our 'veg child will reliably eat list' then. And I think tomatoes might be a fruit....

Even if you just have peas.and tomatoes on your list it still beats the cauliflower but only.if it's hidden that we have here. "Not one veg shall pass " seems to be the puppy's mantra.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Next

Return to Toddler Led Eating