Beverages

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Beverages

Postby apriltgc » 18 Oct 2007, 11:34

when...what...how...all the typical questions.

We are an exclusively BF pair and Ali has finally caught onto this eating thing *magically* the week of her first birthday! She has cut down BF to pre-naps/bed. Until now I've been offering her water during/after meals, but am thinking I should maybe start offering juice and cow's milk at some point. For some reason, I mentally/emotionally don't want to do this, but realize that I need to admit she is growing up.

What have you lot done for beverages?

PS - feel free to add info one what type of cup they are drinking from as well, am interested in this aspect too.
http://spaindad.blogspot.com - reflections from a first-time dad
apriltgc

Postby Aitch » 18 Oct 2007, 13:02

aaw, happy birthday little baby. it's a big number, isn't it? well done for the bfing, i don't think there's any need to introduce anything but of course you can if you wish. dd doesn't like juice, so that's not an issue for us, and she was also on formula by a year so it was easy to mix her formula with cow's milk but i still remember feeling it was an enormous step. bigger than giving her solids, for some reason.
hope a bfer comes along with some proper advice soon.
:D
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Lorbeer » 18 Oct 2007, 14:07

hallo,

we stopped bfing at one and before that LO only had bmilk and water. Now he gets water during the day and at meals I mix him up apple juice(one third) and buttermilk (two thirds). I was really paranoid about him getting his calcium and that once I stopped feeding him, hence the dairy produce. He doesn't eat cheese, just yoghurt and the buttermilk in his drink so I am thinking that is covering his calcium and iron (?). Don't know, but it seems to go down well. Oh, I forgot that we tried him on just milk (cow) both cold and warm also with ovaltine or cacao but it was all rejected, so just the buttermilk.

He gets it from a spouty cup like his water but he can also cope with a normal big person cup if wearing a protective body vest so we only do that at meals (and when I feel up to it)

Lor
Lorbeer

Postby dancandalic » 18 Oct 2007, 16:49

I exclusively BF till around a year although DD had been having water ina cup with meals). Still BF now (at 16 months) but she also has cows milk in a bottle/ cup morning and night. So I do a funny mix of a BF when she wakes (around 0545!!), but she then asks for more milk ina bottle and will have around 6 oz. She BF ondemand through the day (usually only once or twice max) then bedtime she has around 8oz in a bottle and a BF before bed. i started her with cows milk around 12 months and gradually upped the amount before i started back to work at 14 months. It took her a while to accept it as 'milk' though!!
dancandalic

Postby Mij » 19 Oct 2007, 11:23

If you're not ready, and she isn't bothered, do you need to offer more? Are you concerned she's getting dehydrated? I'm BFing izzymouse at 16mths, and demand varies dramatically (currently gone up massively after being poorly - thinking of starting another thread actually...) and she has water.

Do you think your LO needs juice? I have to admit it's one of the few things I've completely banned for the time being, cos I fear that once she's tasted it she may not drink water again and I don't want that to happen! And she eats plenty of fruit.

BTW, she drinks from baby-friendly open cups, regular cups, spouted cups, bottles, the bath and the shower. Does that help? :wink:
Everything is done by ordinary people
Mij

Postby bella » 19 Oct 2007, 11:27

I can't speak from personal experience but I know my niece is over 2.5 years old and still doesn't have juice, just water and cow's milk. I don't see the *need* for juice if you don't want to do it. If you do, that's a different matter.
bella

Postby realsLINshady » 19 Oct 2007, 12:54

Just milk or water round our house too. She drinks a lot of water -and always has done right from 6 months. She gets a free-flow sippy cup with meals when I am bing lazy and a shot glass of water when I am not. In between she always has access to a Tommy Tippee Quick Quencher cup - repellent name, fab product. At nursery they give her a mini sports water bottle which she loves.
realsLINshady

Postby apriltgc » 19 Oct 2007, 18:57

Mij wrote: I have to admit it's one of the few things I've completely banned for the time being, cos I fear that once she's tasted it she may not drink water again and I don't want that to happen! And she eats plenty of fruit.

This is EXACTLY how I feel! It was just one of those things where *everyone* around me was sort of like "so when's she gonna get juice, huh? huh? huh?" It's hard enough to keep them from shoving cookies down her throat every chance they get, how am I going to explain not wanting to give her juice?

And the cow's milk thing is definitely more of an emotional thing like Aitch said. Also, with cutting down to about half the BF I was a little worried about calcium (and iron since we are mostly veg-heads, but i'll put that on another thread). But she devours yogurt and pretty much all things cheese. So I'll put off the "Oh my little baby's all grown up!" of cow's milk until another day.

Thanks!
http://spaindad.blogspot.com - reflections from a first-time dad
apriltgc

Postby Aitch » 19 Oct 2007, 19:36

dd really doesn't like juice, but she gets to taste it every now and again when she asks.
i've read that you should dilute it for them, but it seems more logical if they've only ever tasted water or milk to let them try it full-strength and watch their faces screw up. if they love it and demand it, that's when you dilute it imho.
now, as for coca-cola... she would drink it til the cows come home, we discovered one fateful day, so now DH isn't allowed it. poor man, it was his one occasional vice.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 19 Oct 2007, 21:46

Tink's godfather decided to share his coke while we were at a pub, she loved it :mona He decided she'd had enough of his and stuck the straw in my glass (BTW he has ice, I don't) she was so shocked by the fizz in mine that I got covered! :mona

She still gets excited when she sees me with some so I try to always have an alternative drink for her! I used to know someone who filled coke tins with squash lol
Mum to:
Lily-Hope, 28-29/09/05 - 20 weeks
Tinker Belle, born 17/07/06 - 31 weeks
Fifi, born 02/01/09 - 35 weeks
TinkerbellesMum

Postby mummyjane » 19 Oct 2007, 22:13

Mij wrote:Do you think your LO needs juice? I have to admit it's one of the few things I've completely banned for the time being, cos I fear that once she's tasted it she may not drink water again and I don't want that to happen! And she eats plenty of fruit.

I was the same for my older son and now at the age of 3 he won't even try juice. Loves his water still. His father keeps asking when he will drink juice, me I'm delighted that he has the water habit
mummyjane

Postby Sheela » 19 Oct 2007, 22:16

I couldn't agree more....if they eat fruit.....then surely it's not worth bothering with juice and just sticking to water...... :?:
Sheela
Sheela

Return to Toddler Led Eating